Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 15, 2015

haha sorry

2. Dre May 15, 2015

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 15, 2015

It says $8500. That's probably about right for a Universalone with a decent old redial. The thought crossed my mind...

4. ELV web May 15, 2015

Very nice redial though, seller is honest. I pretty bad at telling older redial from original.

5. Dre May 16, 2015

The watch is for sale again here, interesting! http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/jwl/5019241310.html

Quote of the seller:
    "Ultra Rare vintage 1940s 46mm Universal Geneve Compur chronograph.
    Please let me start off by saying this is not a needed sale, and I will not respond to any low ball offers, so please do not waste my time or yours. Do not waste your time looking on Ebay because you will not find one. You can Google it, and you will find one that sold at the Bonham auction in 2013 for $17.5K, and I think two other ones sold as well. The dials on those three read "compax". This is a 3 register "compur" which was made 1 to 2 years before the "compax", making the one I have even more rare than those. They all have the same case ref# and cal. movement, the only difference is the dial. I guarantee this watch to be all original except for the crystal and band. This is the holy grail of chronographs from the 1940s. A 46mm watch for that time period was unheard of. It was cleaned and serviced a year ago and had a new crystal put on at that time. Please note I have over 25 years experience in vintage watches, and am a watchmaker. I am also a member of the NAWCC. So, if you want a timepiece that no one else has, here you go."

6. ELV web May 16, 2015

I guess 8500 shouldn't be considered low ball :p

7. woodwkr2 May 16, 2015

It's a redial guys, as was already pointed out. Therefore the seller's whole blabbering about compur vs Compax goes out the window.

Common sense, please.

x3no and ELV web like this.
  8. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 16, 2015

Strange, he did alter the relisting on ebay to reflect what many told him about the dial. and watchcount suggests it sold for 6.5. The craigslist posting uses the original listing nonsense about compur vs compax.... Necessarily the same guy in The large state of Texas? craiglist scam?

9. woodwkr2 May 16, 2015

If he's actually an nawcc member and we can cross reference his name, we could see if he's based in Dallas or if it's a scammer.

Or send him an eBay message and ask.

I fail to see the attraction here, though.

10. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 16, 2015

Maybe the refrain, "It's all about the case..." should be amended to read dial....

11. Dre May 16, 2015

That's why I Quoted of what the seller said! Haha

12. waXology May 17, 2015

13. Dre May 17, 2015

Found this earlier, I'm on it since it popped out on my search and I thought might keep it hidden for a bit since that's one of my fave dial for UG! But ofcourse someone else here would've found it as well who am I kidding

I'm still doing further research on the lugs and dial as you said they dont look like they belong together. The hands seems to be replaced as well IMO, moonphase disc obviously not in the best condition and I might've seen that mark on the backcase with those lugs somewhere but definitely with different dial since this is the first time I've seen that dial apart from Ben's.

14. ELV web May 17, 2015

I think the case might be fake unless the seller can give a serial number and a case back number picture together...

EDIT: I can see those two (serial and reference) in the case back in one of the pictures, but will be nice to have a clear picture

15. woodwkr2 May 17, 2015

The case (and lugs) look correct, from the single photo that I've seen. The hour, minute, and seconds hands are suspect however. No comment on the crown, pending better photos.

16. ELV web May 21, 2015

17. KT/v May 21, 2015

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 21, 2015

19. KT/v May 22, 2015

I found a similar watch with reference number 11305 on the net. Based on that I think that the case is incorrect (different lugs) and the caseback should be in gold rather than stainless steel. The reference on the eBay watch doesn't make sense as I wouldn't think that a watchmaker would change the first digit of a reference number for a variant model. For "NOS", the hand on the subsidiary dial at 3 o'clock looks like a replacement. The dial appears to be incorrect as it should show the painted 3, 6 and 9 partially as with the 11305 model on the net. The numbers on the subsidiary dial at 3 o'clock also look a little nonuniform. I don't really know much about watch movements but that one looks to be original UG. My guess is that this watch has been pieced together from multiple sources, that the dial has been repainted and that the back is a fake. I am not sure, however, whether UG would have made cheaper models for the latin market which might explain the stainless steel back.

ELV web likes this.
  20. ELV web May 22, 2015

11305 is gold case, this one is 41301 (gold plated). The dials of UG are interchangeable as in there are no set rules as to what dial goes with which reference (but there should be no stark contrast i.e. a goldish dial like this should ne paired with gold or gold plate).

I think the dial and the watch Seems genuine it is just that the description of the seller is off (case is gold plated not gold which makes it less desirable than gold or steel).

There is another gold triple date but the case looks polished and one subdial hand looks like it might be wrong .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNIFICENT...PLE-DATE-VINTAGE-MOONPHASE-WATCH/141665458430Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My second UG purchase was a franken tripled date :p....

KT/v likes this.