Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

Posts
9
Likes
0
Yes, most definitely. Date dial is very noticeable with upside down numbers, UG text in the date dial instead of below, misalignment, etc.
Thanks, that's what I figured.
 
Posts
1,524
Likes
3,158
Yes, most definitely. Date dial is very noticeable with upside down numbers, UG text in the date dial instead of below, misalignment, etc.
Terrible redial ...
 
Posts
1,524
Likes
3,158


Great looking Compax with a juicy price tag. All that gold must weigh a bit. May have had a lume refresh but looks the business.
 
Posts
8
Likes
5


Great looking Compax with a juicy price tag. All that gold must weigh a bit. May have had a lume refresh but looks the business.
Yeah the gold will be worth a lot ofc, i’ve tried comparing it to my compax and i’m not fully convinced. I compared it to my 22209 which should be from arround the same time. Especially the A and O and the thickness of the print makes me doubt it.

 
Posts
41
Likes
55
I always drum this point home, but shouldn’t there be an accent over the E in Geneve during this period?
 
Posts
3,687
Likes
8,498
Yeah the gold will be worth a lot ofc, i’ve tried comparing it to my compax and i’m not fully convinced. I compared it to my 22209 which should be from arround the same time. Especially the A and O and the thickness of the print makes me doubt it.

The compax printing is obviously heavy, but I would not question the dial on that alone, and overall it looks good to me, so I would guess it's original. In my opinion you cannot cross reference UG, you need to compare apples to apples. So the only real way to resolve this is to find other examples of the exact same ref from the same period (reasonably tight case serial spread between examples). Its often hard to find these comparison examples and so this is not always easy or possible.
 
Posts
3,687
Likes
8,498
I always drum this point home, but shouldn’t there be an accent over the E in Geneve during this period?
What time period, the case serial is not provided?
Anyhow, even knowing the time period, in my opinion you can almost never pin down UG to a rule this narrow, there are too many variables and variations. There are certain situations, if you are talking about some product lines (like polerouters) across very narrow comparisons, you can get into that level of nuance, but in broad terms, it's not possible.
 
Posts
41
Likes
55
What time period, the case serial is not provided?
Anyhow, even knowing the time period, in my opinion you can almost never pin down UG to a rule this narrow, there are too many variables and variations. There are certain situations, if you are talking about some product lines (like polerouters) across very narrow comparisons, you can get into that level of nuance, but in broad terms, it's not possible.
The 1950s. I believe the dealer to be reputable, and while they blur out the serial in the picture, they do specify that it’s from the 50s in the text on the page.

You pick out any example of a 30s-50s UG chrono in Sala and chances are there is an accent over the E in Geneve.

While I agree the rule is a bit too narrow, it’s usually one of the first things I check after I scan the fonts/registers/etc.

You have been collecting longer than I have, so I generally will defer to your opinion on these matters.
 
Posts
41
Likes
55
I have always thought, before the applied logo = accent over the E in Geneve, but that may not be the case. P
 
Posts
3,687
Likes
8,498
The 1950s. I believe the dealer to be reputable, and while they blur out the serial in the picture, they do specify that it’s from the 50s in the text on the page.

You pick out any example of a 30s-50s UG chrono in Sala and chances are there is an accent over the E in Geneve.

While I agree the rule is a bit too narrow, it’s usually one of the first things I check after I scan the fonts/registers/etc.

You have been collecting longer than I have, so I generally will defer to your opinion on these matters.
I don't trust the ad copy unless I can verify the details serial myself.

I'm generally agnostic about UG, I prefer to rely on evidence over opinion, but I also do generally have an immediate gut response, which I will go on unless or until the evidence shows up.

I've never done a detailed analysis of the accent of E before, so I can't say anything for sure.
 
Posts
3,687
Likes
8,498
What was the verdict with these lumed SAS dials? I can't seem to find the thread.
I personally think they're reprinted, so much more is wrong about this watch too, like the ref ending with 5 (instead of 6 for a SAS) and the thicker indexes on the bezel as opposed to thin ones expected on earlier models.

https://www.chrono24.com/universalg...48080459.htm?searchHash=efc02c1f_ycLtVi&pos=2

 
Posts
1,209
Likes
3,069
I think we need to distinguish between the different variants that we've seen and be careful not to bucket them altogether. Note that I'm not making a statement about the legitimacy of any of the different variants, just trying to distinguish between them.

- 20217-6 SAS PolArouters with no lume, about which there is no doubt

- 20217-6 SAS PolArouters with lume. Example linked and pictured below. This one has a serial that is consistent with the known 'no lume' examples.

- 20217-5 SAS PolArouters with lume

- S20217-5 SAS PolErouters with lume

- Black dialled SAS Polarouters with no lume

https://www.chrono24.com/universalgenve/universal-geneve-sas-polarouter--id47901961.htm