Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Severin Sep 29, 2016

Thanks for posting this - it presents a fun combination of obviousness and ambiguity that keeps us on our toes and is sure to stir some debate. In that spirit, here are some points for consideration/to get the discussion rolling:

- While not identified by the seller, I imagine this will be a 138 movement, based on the caseback logo and 19mm lug.

- The chapter ring is a little different, but i believe it is a real Polerouter chapter ring. One obsessive way to tell is to count the ridges: ridges between 12 and 1 or 11 and 12 will total 28, ridges between any other numbers will total 32. I beleive this is true for any chapter ring hour marker width, but have not tested this theory too much (just a little). By my count, despite the fuzzy photos, this chapter ring passes that visual test (not to mention that it actually looks real). The misalignment is not a deal breaker for me: the chapter ring just needs to be turned counterclockwise a little bit (it is not glued to the dial).

- Here is where the weirdness begins for me: the fonts look good, but the execution looks a little rough/overprinted/too thick, as if someone traced the original type to make it look darker/more pronounced. Same goes for the minute markers, particularly at the fives. In other words, looks to me to be touched-up rather than redone entirely.

- Not sure about the crown: looks to be the right shape, but is unsigned. I know some of the early ones were unsigned, but I don;t know enough about them to opine one way or another.

- Whatever you think about the above, the overall tarnish and over-polish would keep me away, even if everything else met my criteria for acceptability. The asking price is high enough that I would expect more in terms of condition.

What does everyone else think?

Boudica and aap like this.
  2. Boudica Sep 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time, that's a great reply, exactly the kind of information i was looking for.
    It basically the same conclusion i had come too, though it's reassuring to have it confirmed by someone more knowledgeable than me.
    The information about the chapter ring and 28/ 32 ridges is new information to me, so thanks for that.
    I knew the Polarouter had a different one with narrower hour markers (which i notice the dodgy tropical dial one currently on ebay doesn't have)...
    It was that coloured chapter ring that grab me initially on this one. I'm just scrapping around looking for something interesting to buy, I've recently missed out on a few gold deluxe models that i really wanted and then got outbid/ sniped on a broad arrow last night that i thought had my name on it. I need to regain my patience and composure before i do something stupid...
    I spotted this earlier, lovely all silver bumper but unfortunately someones got a bit over zealous cleaning the dial and rubbed off the Automatic, though its still lightly visible.
    Any thoughts on this and what a dial finisher/ restorer could do with it? and the cost involved, not to mention finding someone with the appropriate skills not to make a complete hash of it...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262642438983?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

3. Drawarms Sep 29, 2016

4. Diabolik Sep 30, 2016

5. aap Sep 30, 2016

Edited Sep 30, 2016
  6. Diabolik Sep 30, 2016

How sad .. !

upload_2016-9-30_15-21-17.png

7. ELV web Sep 30, 2016

image.jpeg
    Diabolik likes this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 30, 2016

Amazing! How did he teach the bird to crap so close to the 5-minute marks?

ELV web, Diabolik and aap like this.
  9. rosspo Oct 1, 2016

Any thoughts on this Compax:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-G...5-/262626239655?ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am trying to learn a bit more before doing anything crazy. From what I have learned on this forum, it has the wrong caseback, a replacement hand on the 3 o'clock subdial, engravings in the movement, and signs of a redial (misaligned UG logo, tachometer overlapping with subdials). Can someone teach me more?

10. gop76 Oct 2, 2016

Why do you say it has the wrong caseback?

rosspo likes this.
  11. Diabolik Oct 2, 2016

dial looks good to me ... actually looks like a stunner. change the yellowed crystal and you would be on to a winner with this nice early compax which sold at a bargain price. Gold plate cases where often sold with steel backs as were chrome cases ...

upload_2016-10-2_11-49-16.png

rosspo likes this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 2, 2016

Movement engravings were made in the US to comply with import regulations. They are found across a number of brands and movements, and frequently dismissed as inauthentic. They are genuine, in the same way as Fab. Suisse dials are in French-imported watches and that goofy lug punch is in Portuguese.

rosspo and Diabolik like this.
  13. rosspo Oct 2, 2016

Thanks everyone, and awesome lesson on import regulations, LouS. Very interesting.

14. Diabolik Oct 6, 2016

Let's take a look at this one ...

upload_2016-10-6_14-54-32.png

Thoughts ?

ELV web likes this.
  15. HeuerLoon Oct 6, 2016

Its all good save the internal tachy ring

16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 6, 2016

All the lume dots are missing on the dial and it has a home made tachy ring. Hard to tell from the images, but I would also question the lume inside the hands. Otherwise its a very rare piece...shame it has so many issues.

17. HeuerLoon Oct 6, 2016

18. Diabolik Oct 6, 2016

I tend to agree. The biggest issue IMHO is the replacement tachy ring. I could cope with missing lume and reference / serial ...

This one owned by a member has to be the standard ...

upload_2016-10-6_15-46-42.png

How you lose an internal tachy ring on one of those ...?? :thumbsdown:

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 6, 2016

Well the bigger issue is finding one

This reference is extreme hard to find...Ive only seen a handful. So parts are going to be impossible

Edited Oct 6, 2016
  20. HeuerLoon Oct 6, 2016

[How you lose an internal tachy ring on one of those ...?? :thumbsdown:[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the original tachy ring has been repainted as result of moisture damage or for whatever reason. It's probably the correct size.