Forums Latest Members

Travels to India... which watch?

1. Starman71 Jan 27, 2018

Thank you for your comments. I would never think to speak about the price, though I suppose it’s possible someone might ask (I’ve heard personal questions e.g. about income are more acceptable there as a way to show interest). I will certainly try every kind of food I can find, can’t wait!

Nathan1967 and mayankyadav like this.
  2. Philip Loftus Jan 30, 2018

Don't eat anything from the pasty vendors who walk up and down the train carriages.

Syrte likes this.
  3. akshayluc420 Jan 30, 2018

Oh, and if buying bottled water, check to ensure that the plastic seals attaching the bottle lip and the cap are intact. Some guys refill the bottles and put a sort of plastic shrink wrap around the top, so do check the plastic seal too.

Pun likes this.
  4. trama Jan 30, 2018

Pretty much do whatever you want there watch-wise, YOU will be the pauper often haha!

Source: Pretty much grew up there, wore a Speedy (reduced, but not diminished) for most of it, nobody gave a sh$t. Lots of modest folk, and lots of well off folk. As most mention here, the street food is sublime. I'm jealous. Post lots of pics!

Pun likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 30, 2018

Ahem... it is recommended you avoid street food though, and if you try little “hole in the wall” places it’s recommended you stick to cooked veg, and avoid meat/ fish/poultry. I just spent 3 weeks in India— my second trip there— and I can’t wait to go back.

Deafboy, Pun, Starman71 and 2 others like this.
  6. Beepos Jan 30, 2018

As someone born in India and who grew up there, you'll be fine. I've worn JLCs, IWCs, vintage Omegas there. Most people's knowledge extends to Rolex and that's it

My grandma wears more money in the form gold on a daily basis than any of the watches I own.I mean, don't go around flaunting a solid gold daytona or speedmaster with diamonds. But that would be true anywhere.

A word about street food: Only eat HOT, cooked solid food. Never cold, raw or liquidy. Thus, I'd skip the raithas, pani puris, or such. And MAKE SURE YOU DRINK BOTTLED WATER or REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER ONLY

But the food is amazing. I can only speak to Chennai and Hyderabad (both cities I've lived), though I know Bangalore best. Chennai is the old heart of South India. Thus, the specialties are Vada, Masala Dosa, Idli. Personally, I would make sure to try out idiyappam , which you won't in many other places. For a non veg perspective, Chicken Chettinad is the classic Tamilian dish, though be warned, it is spicy. Oh, make sure you go to a place that serves the food on a banana leaf, as is traditional. Don't spend crazy amounts, no dish should cost more than 600 rupees, or about $10 dollars.. If you want a recommendation, Murugan Idly Shop is always fantastic.

Hyderabad has a different cuisine. Hyderabad was a muslim state for a long time, despite having a majority Hindu population. Thus dishes like Hyderabad Biriyani are traditional (and you should definitely try it). Hyderabad is also more famous for it's sweets: double khameeta, falooda, qubani khameeta. Personally, I dislike Indian sweets, so I can't give you recommendations here

If by chance any of you end up visting Bangalore, make sure you visit MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Rooms). There is no better South Indian restaurant imo (some claim it’s overrated, but it’s one of those icons)- though the aforementioned Murugan gives it a shot.

Also, in Chennai especially, a restaurant with it's sign only in Tamil is the restaurant you want to visit.

And carry Imodium. It's likely that you will get a GI bug despite all precautions. You just aren't used to the microbiome there. If you get sick, hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Edited Jan 30, 2018
    Starman71 likes this.
  7. Wyatt66 Jan 30, 2018

Just got back from 2 weeks in Noida myself. GMTs & Worldtimers aren’t helpful as India is 5.5 hours ahead of the UK.... If you want to blend in, Indian men seem to like big watches - consumer brands - Casio, Citizen, Diesel, Fossil seem to be very popular. I wore the Seamaster on the left, an Oris Divers 65 and a CW Trident - no problem at all but I wore sleeves long so I wasn’t waving them around.

While you are in New Delhi, check out this gentleman (google his name - you’ll find a video on YouTube)
    http://www.thedelhiwalla.com/2015/0...d-khans-old-swiss-watches-new-markazi-market/

He’s hard to find but if you can find the Barkat Guest House in Nizamuddin, he is in the market just to the left of the entrance. Open from 2pm to 10pm daily including Sundays.

He has a quite a few old watches, including some Omegas - a couple of pieces I was interested in but nothing where we could agree on price. I posted some pictures recently - he has an unusual Seamaster 354 with waffle dial and what looks like it could be a Bonklip bracelet - in the end he wanted more than I was willing to pay for it. In the end I bought a nice little 3 hand Roamer for Rs. 3000 as I wanted to come away with something....

Starman71 likes this.
  8. akshayluc420 Jan 30, 2018

'Paradise Biryani' is a very famous joint for Hyderabadi Biryani. Make sure you order the 'Dum' style where the goodies are baked in an earthen pot sealed by dough.

I love how so many Indians have joined this thread. As you all may have noticed, we certainly love our food!

Pun, Starman71 and mayankyadav like this.
  9. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 31, 2018

Worth checking the detail of your travel insurance, most wont cover replacement cost of a Speedy

10. Starman71 Feb 2, 2018

Thanks for all the great comments and tips. Does anyone in the Chennai area know a good Rolex dealer there?

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 2, 2018

Sorry this does not answer your question but if you look carefully you’ll see a Rolex dealer in New Delhi on Janpat road.. near Connaught circle. Snapped late December.

4D929584-7902-40F8-AD40-1763E35C5986.jpeg 342F6439-744A-4745-AB7F-F91185ECE129.jpeg
    Starman71 likes this.
  12. Starman71 Feb 2, 2018

Jewelers Mutual

13. Starman71 Mar 9, 2018

Pun likes this.
  14. Pun Mar 9, 2018

Welcome to India. I hope you enjoy a pleasant and safe stay here. Now temperature is increasing every day. Delhi will face more traffic snarls due up some international solar summit for three to four days. You better avoid traveling to those areas.

15. Seacow Mar 9, 2018

Lots Imodium required....::facepalm1::

16. mayankyadav Mar 9, 2018

Rolex has a showroom in EA Mall in Chennai. Also you can look the locations of ADs anywhere in the world from Rolex’s website ;)

17. davidswiss Mar 10, 2018

Take a Seiko 5, cheap, tough and don't need a battery.

Syrte likes this.
  18. Pun Mar 10, 2018

Today I am wearing my new Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso TT 1931 that I bought after chasing it for more than 2 years, and NOBODY noticed it except me....

image.jpg image.jpg
    Starman71 likes this.
  19. NyCSnEaK Mar 10, 2018

I’d go with redpcar suggestion. Very nice country, with beautiful places. Remember dangling out of a rickshaw as a kid and getting slapped for it by my pops. Rode on a elephant there as well. Love Indian cuisine. My second favorite, after Afghani.

2631A2B5-F7A2-4040-AEB0-E1038E23061B.jpeg

Starman71 likes this.
  20. Pun Mar 10, 2018

Rolex has few boutiques at the New Delhi Airport and at various malls in NCR Delhi. You can get most of the brands in New Delhi region except Patek. Due to recent government tax structures prices of Swiss watches are one of the most competitive in India.

Starman71 likes this.