Forums Latest Members

Travels to India... which watch?

1. Starman71 Jan 26, 2018

I’m traveling to India for the first time. I’d love to take my new GSOTM so that we have some quality experiences together, but should I leave her home in the safe and wear a quartz I don’t care about?

Part of the trip is business in diplomatic areas, but part will be adventuring around.

Looking for input from those who have spent time there. I’m already familiar with the opinions of my fellow Americans who’ve never left their shores.

mydeafcat and Nathan1967 like this.
  2. ricardorio Jan 26, 2018

Diplomatic area = some distinguished watch ...:thumbsup:

Adventure area = cheapest G-shock ...:unsure:

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. Nathan1967 Jan 26, 2018

I’ve been to India a couple of times - once to Kerala and once to take my Father in Law back to his birthplace in rural Assam. Both times I wore my Speedmaster all day and everyday without any issue.
    For me, whether you take your watch or not depends on where you’re going/staying in India, your usual attitude to risk in the US and what you mean by “adventuring around”.
    Whatever your choice, India is an incredible, fascinating country with the most warm and hospitable people, I’m sure you’ll have a great trip.
    It might be worth getting the opinion of @Vron our OF member who I think lives in Delhi.

Edited Jan 26, 2018
  4. Pun Jan 26, 2018

I live in India and can assure you that unless you plan to go to some very disturbed areas of the country, any watch you intend to carry will be fine. Like in US or in the Continent, no one pays attention to your watch here. Thugs are interested in your wallet and money anywhere in the world. India is as safe and as disturbing as the US. Hope you cherish and enjoy you stay in India.

5. redpcar Jan 26, 2018

Something to blend in ;)

[​IMG]

numero27, Starman71, Vitezi and 5 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2018

Wear the speedy no issue in India, more chance of belly bugs than anything.
    Take Imodium supply ;)

7. 77deluxe Jan 26, 2018

+1 speedy

isaac.owen.nz, Pun and mydeafcat like this.
  8. mydeafcat Jan 26, 2018

You’ll have a memorable adventure. It’s been some years since I spent 3.5 months there (Rajasthan, UP, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Nepal Himalayas...) yet the experiences resonate still.

As everyone here has pointed out, you’ll likely be just fine with your choice of watch. I recall weighing the odds and taking the middle path: I opted for one of my Tags. I wanted a dependable, good looking watch, but should it go missing or suffer some issue, I wouldn’t be too upset.

I only know from the sidelines the inseparable relationship Speedy owners have with their watches. That alone tells me which piece you’re taking. Enjoy!

PS Eat hot street food from the carts with the lineup. :cool:

mayankyadav, Nathan1967 and Pun like this.
  9. Pun Jan 26, 2018

You still can get NOS for $20 from old dealers of hmt!

Nathan1967 and Starman71 like this.
  10. keepschanging Jan 26, 2018

Seiko

Fritz and Faz like this.
  11. Professor Jan 26, 2018

While a street thug might not rob you for your watch a very classy expensive watch would be a sign you might be packing a hefty roll of bills or other valuables.

Starman71 likes this.
  12. lillatroll Jan 27, 2018

Only been to Mumbai, Even late at night it felt safe. People are busy going about their own buisness and generally will allow you to get on with yours without bother. Enjoy your trip.

13. timjohn Jan 27, 2018

I’m sure you’d be fine with your speedy, but when I was going to some of the more remote parts of India regularly, I always felt it was a bit rude to flaunt an expensive watch. Maybe something classy but low key like a Seiko Presage?

Syrte and Starman71 like this.
  14. Starman71 Jan 27, 2018

Thanks folks for your comments! I do have insurance so there’s that as well. I will be spending time in Noida, Hyderabad, and Chennai.

@Pun it would certainly be fun to pick up a timepiece there to remember my travels by.

Pun, mydeafcat and Nathan1967 like this.
  15. Nathan1967 Jan 27, 2018

@Pun it would certainly be fun to pick up a timepiece there to remember my travels by.[/QUOTE]

......and then you could start the “show me your HMT’s” OF thread when you get back! ;)

Starman71 and Pun like this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 27, 2018

Ha, good luck with that. When I went to India visiting friends (born and raised there), I asked where to buy vintage watches and he replied, « like everywhere else, on Ebay ».

However, my friend may not have known as he was not especially into watches, but he did collect vintage cufflinks...

17. akshayluc420 Jan 27, 2018

For Adventure time, any Seiko or G-Shock would be good. As a rule, no ceramics for any gung-ho activities!

Do pack a sweater, gets nippy in Noida in the evenings.

Starman71 likes this.
  18. Flatfoot Jan 27, 2018

I have traveled to Mumbai and several cities to the north on business. I traveled on busses, trains and those little three wheeled taxis. It is a charming place, and the folks I met were as gracious as can be. I've mingled (as much as a 6'6" Caucasian dude can mingle in India) on the streets, and never felt threatened.
    Personally, I'd go for wearing the GSOTM and go about business as usual, and build some of your own patina and experiences with it. However, keep your eyes on the traffic when crossing the street as a pedestrian. Crossing a major road is a unique blend of derring do, direct eye contact with drivers and pure sport.

19. mayankyadav Jan 27, 2018

I am an Indian and I can tell you that no one will snatch your watch off of your wrist on the streets :).
    Just use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings the way you will be anywhere else in US.
    Book Uber or other app based taxis to travel in city ( public transport is over crowded and rented taxi drivers may charge you more than the actual charge by looking at you and realizing that you are not from around).
    Pick pocket incidents mainly occurr in over crowded public transport systems and I have never heard of anybody’s watch being snatched.

PS - Majority of Indians will not even know that something like a watch could cost thousands of dollars and lot of them will bot believe you if you tell them the actual cost. Some may even take you for a fool for spending that much on a watch .
    All the best. do try lut different kinds of foods. We have hundreds of varieties of food :)

Faz, Syrte, Mouse_at_Large and 5 others like this.
  20. mayankyadav Jan 27, 2018

In Noida try “Chaats amd Chhole Bhature” Hyderabad try “Hyderabadi Biryani” and in Chennai try “Chettinadu biryani” - these are all very famous food items.
    And if you want to pick up a watch, I will suggest you the brand called Titan. They make quartz watches and the company is owned by Tata Groups ( which by the way also owns Jaguar auto.)
    You will be amazed how much gold women flaunt in public in India. Your watch will be fine;)

Syrte and Starman71 like this.