Three Special Dial '60s Seamasters

Special60sSeamasters copy.jpg

Arguably more than any other of the great Swiss marques, Omega has always been daring, experimental and graphically innovative in their dial designs. And one could make a very strong case that they were at the peak of their powers in this regard in the 1960s. I first became aware of Omega's penchant for creativity and purpose built "tool" dials on what would ordinarily have been standard dress models by way of having a Seamaster "Railmaster Official" passed down to me by my father. It, along with his Speedmaster Mark II racing dial, is what got me into vintage Omega, and ultimately vintage watches and watches more generally, in the first place.

Seamaster "Railmaster Official" ref. 165.002, cal. 550, 17 jewels, adjusted 3 positions, circa 1966:
RailmasterSM copy.jpg

I'm not sure if you've ever experienced this with an heirloom-type watch, but I've always felt not only grateful to have it but also slightly constrained by the aesthetic. While Omega designed this watch (with no small copying of Ball's famous layout) to sell to the very specific railroad worker market, as well as those who value maximum legibility at a glance (something I do appreciate more as I get older), this dial is not quite my aesthetic style. In other words, if it hadn't been in the family, I don't think I would have sought it out and bought it on my own.

So, I recently decided to acquire what are essentially the same models of Seamaster but with very different dials that are a bit more in my design wheelhouse. The first is the semi-famous "Speedy Companion", which might more properly be called the "Soleil Companion", due to the fact that it not only mimics the Speedmaster's characteristic luminous plots but also the very uncommon lustrous blue-gray soleil/metallic finish only rarely found in certain highly desirable '60s Speedys.

Seamaster "Speedy Companion" ref. 166.002, cal. 565, 24 jewels, circa 1966:
SpeedyCompanion copy.jpg

Being a compulsive sort of collector, I was not only thrilled with the Speedy Companion but also left wanting one more from this special era of Seamaster dial designs. This "Albino Technical" really spoke to me, with its hyper-attractive matte white dial, non-luminous black "Speedy" markings and punchy red crosshair and Omega logo. It kind of screams "NASA UNIVAC technician", at least in my imagination.

Seamaster "Albino Technical" ref. 166.002, cal. 562, 24 jewels, circa 1966:
SMAlbinoTechnical copy.jpg

All three watches have pretty much the exact same cases and yet represent completely differently on the wrist, a delightful tribute to a time when creativity in the Swiss watch industry generally, and Omega in particular, was really at an impressive and perhaps all-time high.

RailmasterRR_wrst copy.jpeg SpeedyCompanion-wrst copy.jpg SMTechncialAlbino-wrst copy.jpg

I'll always be proud and honored to have my father's "Railmaster Official" and look forward to always keeping it in the family, as it has been for some 58-years and counting. But I'm also really happy to have now added two other very special and distinct 1960s Seamasters that are truly reflective of my own personal tastes and my pleasure in Mid-century modern design language.

Special60sSeamasters-2 copy.jpg

You never know where your collector's journey will take you in this hobby. But it's certainly a lot of fun following the various tributaries that spring from the main river of your passion!
Happy collecting & all the best,
T.
Edited:

I had the companion dialed- loved it and the colors changed depending on light from cool blue to warm purple. Bought it from a friend here and sold it to another friend here (funny how the good ones often get passed around here and never hit the open market). I just didn’t wear it much as it was a little too sleek for me, but always loved that dial.

IMG_2355.jpeg

Great post and I like this period of Omega's design history too.

I bought this one quite recently, a technical dialed albino similar to the Speedmaster companion. The minimalistic simplicity is very strong design IMHO.

080.JPG

I love this model and the many dial iterations. I have a couple I picked up over the past few years.

White Technical:

968A4C6B-550C-4E7E-803D-178B3016F4E0.jpeg

Black/Silver Gilt:

481432F9-B382-48D0-9622-E7CA3FCD5DCA.jpeg

Railmaster (slightly different 165.070 case):

E6B347E5-8591-4439-878A-5083735145AE.jpeg

Space industry engineer here, I agree that the technical albino appeals to me. Add that to the wtb list haha.

I had the companion dialed- loved it and the colors changed depending on light from cool blue to warm purple. Bought it from a friend here and sold it to another friend here (funny how the good ones often get passed around here and never hit the open market). I just didn’t wear it much as it was a little too sleek for me, but always loved that dial.

IMG_2355.jpeg
Ha, when I was researching these yours kept coming up. 😉 Also a good reference for what the lume should still look like, as a lot of these Companion dials have aged poorly in that regard. And really like this non-date version, too, super clean.
Glad it stayed "in the family" & thanks for sharing it in the first place!
T.

Great post and I like this period of Omega's design history too.

I bought this one quite recently, a technical dialed albino similar to the Speedmaster companion. The minimalistic simplicity is very strong design IMHO.

080.JPG
Thanks and that is a very cool Technical dial variation -- ne plus Bauhaus! 😎
Best,
T.

Really like these "broken track" versions and also a good reminder that there was a lot of experimentation going on in the the SM 600 line at this time, as well.😎
Best,
T.

I love this model and the many dial iterations. I have a couple I picked up over the past few years.

White Technical:

Black/Silver Gilt:

Lovely trio! 👍
Glad to see another lover of the Albino Technical & Railmaster Official -- only recently learned about that alternate reference/case for the RM. And black gilt is always a good choice. 😉
Best,
T.

White Technical:

Black/Silver Gilt:

That railmaster is charming 👍

Looks like we have some similar taste! 😀
That's a pretty great quartet. Excellent strap choices, as well. 👍
Best,
T.