Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

I was at an antique shop yesterday and a younger guy was getting some vintage match books rung up at the sales counter. Before leaving he asked the shop owner to teach him how to light a match. At first I thought ::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::, then I thought “well, good for him for asking and for learning some retro tech”. It seems impossible to not know how to use matches, but then again, not really I suppose.

What other parts of everyday life are disappearing? Fax your replies to 555-1234

Like 35
- Reading cursive writing.
- Reading time on an analog display clock.

Like 20
Rotary Phone, how to burn a CD, how to read a map!

Like 12
Drive a car with a manual transmission.

Do simple arithmetic without a calculator.

EDIT: Late entry, address an envelope.

Like 23
Writing a check comes to mind. I can't remember the last time I had to write one.

Like 11
Use Manors,
Equitte, Let the woman or elderly person first. ( then again probably offend the women in this day and age)
Stand toe to toe with someone and call them, abuse them( wait let's hide behind a keyboard at a safe distance)
Boil an egg, without using Tic Tic
Think for themselves, must use Instagram to know what to do, or how I am feeling

Like 6
read a real map; change the oil in a car

identify propaganda :D

Like 15
Start a fire without matches or a lighter. Navigate with a compass, a sextant and the stars. Use a travel agent. Balance your checkbook. Make a coin call from a phone booth. Clip coupons. Write a letter.

Like 7
Tie a tie, bow or otherwise.

Like 17
Reading cursive writing.

Or writing it for that matter.

Like 7
Or writing it for that matter.
Goes without saying. :D

But it's particularly sad to think that the next generation will not be able to read historical documents firsthand. Apparently it looks like hieroglyphics to them.

Like 4
But it's particularly sad to think that the next generation will not be able to read historical documents firsthand. Apparently it looks like hieroglyphics to them.
Here is part of a historical document written in English. I can't read it....
front.jpg

Like 5
find this 710-cap in the engine-compartment and fill in correct liquid :D
710 cap.jpg

Like 33
I had to explain to my 30 year old son how to write a check and address an envelope. Fortunately I did teach him how to use tools and cook.

Like 4
- (landing sucessful and )walking on the moon

- open this tin can without a saw
can.jpg

Like 7
I taught my 15 year old nephew to solder- he loved it. We started just tinning wires and moved on to PCB’s, then I showed him how to repaired traces. He actually repaired my brother’s guitar amp that had a bad ground.
Now any time anything electronic breaks at their house my brother tell his son “call uncle James”.

Like 9
Use a bow, ride horses, swords fighting, use a VHS recorder, use a crank to start a car,...

Most points in this thread just became useless. It's not sad, it's normal.

Like 4