Things that people don’t know how to do anymore

How to be compassionate toward animals (unsure if many folks ever knew).
Look people in the eye.

Like 8
Adjust rabbit ears on the TV, including adding tin foil in order to get better reception on UHF or the three channels you get.

What to do when you see a test pattern on the TV (answer, go to bed.)

Like 10
A true story
A 22 year old male who called the road service to change his flat tyre.

Like 2
A true story
I showed my wife how to change her tire on her last car- the new one has run-flats so she’ll have to show me how to use a can of fix-o-flat.:rolleyes:

Like 5
I don't drive much at all, but one day my father, who will be 80 next month, said I should move the car if someone came back to the carpark. (He double parked). I got in the driving seat and did not know how to start the car, never mind move it. He has a lexus SUV thingy with lots of screens and buttons but I didn't see any ignition. Fortunately his errand did not take long.

Like 2
Build a large pyramid.

For that matter build anything without a permit and having to lawyer up first.

Or perhaps I should say, do something without a lawyer, accountant or any other financial adviser.

Like 6
Drive a car without the luxury of syncomesh in its manual gearbox, it’s called double de clutching young fella!
Candence braking modulation…..early manual anti lock braking procedure
Driving a rear wheel drive car. without hanging it off a gum tree.
Parking a car without any aids such as cameras, sensors or self parking nonsense
Reading gauges, printed instructions or workshop manual and a map or street directory
No one seems to be able to write technical documents properly these days……most likely because the idiots can’t read them anyway

This is let alone such understanding basic mechanical concepts such as carburettors the Kettering ingnition systems and diagnostics that don’t give you a predetermined answer like OBD systems.

These are all black magic these days akin to automotive voodoo

Like 4
My dad taught me how to tie a Windsor knot - he was prolific at morse code but alas that was beyond me!

Like 7
The woman driver who drove her Tesla up to the gas pumps, but needed help finding the place to put the fuel!

Like 1
I remember the first bow tie that I bought. It was in the men’s furnishings department of a local department store (sadly, no longer in business). The department was managed by a tiny lady, barely 5’ tall, and 100 pounds. I am 6’ 4”tall. I had NO clue how to tie a bow tie! She tried as best she could, but being vertically challenged, it didn’t go well! I brought the tie home, and after an hour or so, I finally got the hang of it. That happened about 45 years ago. To this day, I wear only bow ties.

Like 4
First and foremost. understanding CONTEXT. No matter the situation, fraught or fun, context is critical to understanding. This, of course, leads to: Identifying truth - real, unadulterated, untainted, and free from opportunistic carnival barkers - from horseshit.

Identify an 8-track tape. If you present it along with the requisite match pack to ensure steady playback, the look on their face will be priceless.

Like 2
I remember the first bow tie that I bought. It was in the men’s furnishings department of a local department store (sadly, no longer in business). The department was managed by a tiny lady, barely 5’ tall, and 100 pounds. I am 6’ 4”tall. I had NO clue how to tie a bow tie! She tried as best she could, but being vertically challenged, it didn’t go well! I brought the tie home, and after an hour or so, I finally got the hang of it. That happened about 45 years ago. To this day, I wear only bow ties.

I miss Woodward's.

Read
Write
Arithmetic
That about covers it

See at least a few dozen employment apps a week, mainly to check criminal records.
The scribbling and scratching I witness on some employment apps is beyond believable.
I really hate bashing anything American, but fuck me, school systems/parent(s) stink. How could anyone with good conscience release these know nothing nincompoops on the world.
Edited:

Like 1
Focus on a work assignment for an 8 hour work day.

Like 5
I miss Woodward's.

Woodwards. Indeed! I felt there was no sense mentioning the name of the firm!

Like 2
A true story
My 20yr old son called me, twice, he knows how to do it now...

Like 1