Forums Latest Members

+++ things you need to know before you buy a zrc grand fonds +++

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 2, 2019

here are some things you need to know before you buy one of these watches new or pre-owned.

this watch comes with proprietary screws that hold either the bracelet or strap.

in order to change the strap you must have their proprietary screwdriver that fits their screw in lug bars. if you didn't buy the add-on toolkit you cannot change the strap. this toolkit costs $190 eu. this is must have and doesn't come with the watch. it really needs to be included in any package when you buy the watch but it isn't.

if you happen to buy this watch on a bracelet, you're basically fucked and have to wear in on THEIR bracelet unless you buy the add-on link that goes around the crown so you can put it on a strap. i believe the cost for this 1 link is over $100/150 eu as well.

get this. they also have 2 kinds of screws/screwdrivers. some of their newer watches need a deeper version of their proprietary system. awesome. 2 different types made special for zrc to double your fun.

what zrc chose to use is not a triangle or hex. what they chose is to make you buy their toolkit and is a combo of both that looks like a japanese rice ball. notice their mouth is covered up because they're frowning

zrc_profile_screws.jpg

[​IMG]

you might think you can bypass this by finding a like screwdriver, but i didn't have much luck.

so i had to buy the toolkit which consisted of 4 screwdrivers. two of their proprietary and two flat head. when the toolkit arrived you're in another dimension of hell. if you thought changing your strap on those occasional pesky spring bars is a pain in the ass, you haven't seen mr howdy and this system.

[​IMG]

zrc's system requires you to use both screwdrivers at once. you have to hold one screw in place while unscrewing the other as it's connect to the other.

sounds simple enough but these screws are the the size of a piece of lint and you need 3 or 4 hands to do it. it's virtually impossible for 1 person to make a simple strap change. thinking you can do it individually will only succeed in one thing. scratching the surrounding case holding the screws,....bravo, zrc..even if it's a light scratch it's impossible to avoid.

even with 2 people and 4 hands it's difficult. one hand has to hold the case and the other has to hold the screwdriver perfectly in the screw, while the other person need to apply pressure so you can take unscrew it. but in order for the pressure to apply means you have to hold the case a certain way making it harder to do for one of the parties, thus making it much easier to slip and scratch your watch....double face palm..

i'm really surprised zrc doesn't have their own proprietary case holder that they can charge more money for. but i really don't even think it would make it easier for 1 person.

another thing. this process has to be done on a desk with a large white surface or done inside a clear larger ziplock bag so you will not lose the lint size screw once it comes loose.

once you get the one screw out the other screw is connected to the lug bar, so you're not out of the woods yet. it just doesn't simply come out once you remove he one screw. i tried using one screwdriver to remove it...nope, doesn't work and spins once again. i then tried to use my index finger and thumb to grab the leather strap and lug bar gently trying to pull it out. nope..didn't work.

only thing that worked was using a pair of pliers to grab both the leather strap and lug bar and pull to loosen it. obv this leaves a big mark on the leather strap that doesn't fit a 7" wrist to begin with and you risk further damage in scratching the case. but there is no avoiding it if you want to change the strap.

now you're done, right? nope. after you put your new strap your watch you have to screw the screws back in. while it's easier than removing them it's no picnic as well and you need another party or 2 more hands once again to help you with this as well.

just in case you strip the screws or buy one that somebody tried to use a like screwdriver it costs $20 eu for one screw.

i'm really dreading changing the strap on this the next time. this process is absolutely ridiculous and it should be a major decision/consideration for anyone to buy one of these watches

archs.jpg

and here is the finished product on a chocolate barton with a khaki underbelly

zrc grand fonds 7" wrist..... 40.5mm .....49.5 L2L

zrc_the_1.jpg

bob kraft approves

robert-kraft.jpg

Edited Oct 2, 2019
    KingCrouchy, Yak1 and shishy like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 2, 2019

You sure have a lot of time on your hands.

bassem abadan and jaguar11 like this.
  3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 2, 2019

it's rough sledding to get that 73 posts in 48 minutes..and a simple "i lol'd @ ur story" would have sufficed

Edited Oct 2, 2019
    KingCrouchy and connieseamaster like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 2, 2019

Most of your posts are like Zippy the Pinhead comics. Try as I might to understand them...the meaning alludes me.

jaguar11 likes this.
  5. gostang9 Oct 2, 2019

I don’t have +++ any clue +++ what you’re on about... +++

blufinz52 likes this.
  6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 2, 2019

on your bike, zippy

7. asrnj77 Oct 4, 2019

I like the watch but the lug to lug is too long for my wrist. I was looking at a vintage ZRC a while back but just don’t think it works on all wrists

8. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 4, 2019

i'm a flat 7" and i can barely rock it. but it's not really a preferred L2L length for me.

they really should make one with vintage specs

good news is that it's much smaller than my ex frickers and i can easily tell the time

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 4, 2019

Looks like a good application for 3-D printing (the screwdrivers).

Can the screws be replaced with one that have 'normal' heads?

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. hanky6 Oct 4, 2019

I lol'd @ur story

Totally understand your frustration, something simple made complicated.

11. gostang9 Oct 4, 2019

I'm very curious what age you are, what country you're from, and what you do for a living. ::confused2::

You have a very unique writing style:
    - You are missing the "SHIFT" button on your keyboard/phone
    - You don't like using punctuation (at least that fits any English rules)
    - You write lengthy posts, yet do a good job separating thoughts in phrases and with spaces between sentences
    - Your spelling is excellent, your grammar quite proper given your non-rule-following writing style

I find your thoughts easy to comprehend, yet your lack of rule following puzzling... ::book::

Anyhow, not a criticism. Honestly. Just very curious. (I don't want you to leave, I find your writing interesting to read, even if your point entirely unknown to me -- or maybe simply over my head). :cool:

KingCrouchy and hanky6 like this.
  12. DeepBlue Oct 4, 2019

Haha this was pretty funny to read. Although i imagine it is not funny if you own one of these watches.
    I think the vintage ones are a bit cooler than these new ones to be honest.

13. KingCrouchy Oct 4, 2019

I had a good laugh, sounds like a great system to use on a daily basis, especially in the morning half awake.:thumbsup: