Forums Latest Members

The final elusive piece of the Speedmaster/JB Champion combination has arrived...

1. TJH Oct 24, 2017

...I want to keep reading!

2. TsoloT Oct 24, 2017

Brilliant piece of obsession driven research...the best kind

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 24, 2017

JB Champion steel mesh bracelet as a daily wearer... still missing the calendar
    Yep, if anyone wonders, that's a Fallen Astronaut artwork by Belgian artist Paul Van Hoeydonck... 1971 Apollo 15...
    PVH_FallenAstronaut07.jpg

TJH, M'Bob and Jones in LA like this.
  4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Dec 16, 2017

Thought this set was interesting enough to add to the history. Sold on eBay earlier this week; yet another lot I missed.

From 1978, appears to be more of a 'blister' style packaging than the usual box, but using the rarer 'big red, square' insert that I've only previously seen on 1968 and 1969 sets.
    timely 78 front.jpg
    timely 78 back.jpg

TLIGuy and KIMBER like this.
  5. TLIGuy Dec 16, 2017

I checking into ebay shortly after these went up for sale last week and my finger hovered over the BIN $8.99 button but passed on them. They sold about an hour later. 1978 was not a year that flew any missions that the calendars could have been worn on and also I don't think that the 1978 calendars where ever sold in the packaging above. Like @Emeister, I have only seen this packaging with the early 1968 calendars. I've learned the hard way never to say never but I don't think the calendars and packing left the factory together.

To add to the history as well, I added the Skylab 2, 3 and 4 year 1973 a few weeks ago.

IMG_2842.JPG

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 19, 2018

I've been looking through some Apollo 7 photos today as I've just found a couple of signed recovery photos (my actual birthday) that I didn't know existed. Think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

I've already posted this pre-flight one in the "Hidden gems... " thread but looking at it again today and remembering @TLIGuy's post above, is that Wally's Timely calendar on the twelve o'clock side of his white velcro strap?
    ap7-68-H-939.jpg
    I found the picture here: http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html 68-H-939.
    Has anyone found any better images?

TJH, TLIGuy and SpeedyPhill like this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 20, 2018

@Emeister
    Moonwatchuniverse has a dozen of Apollo 7 suitup photos for and actual launch day and I believe it's a piece of cloth on the velcro...
    Here's a cutout
    ;)
    A7_Wally.jpg

Emeister likes this.
  8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 20, 2018

Thanks @SpeedyPhill
    Nice site :thumbsup: I'll give up my google searching now. ;) Heaps more astronaut photos there than I've ever found.

I did think that it looked like the strap was 'pinched' by something in the Black and White photo I posted and I held onto the slightest glimmer of hope that your picture above was prior to 'mine' as Wally doesn't have the headgear on yet. But your next picture shows Wally's strap even clearer and Wally has the first stage of the helmet on by then too.
    I've been searching the post splashdown pictures on the USS Essex and I can't see any sign of the Timely calendars on either Wally or Walt's wrists :(

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 20, 2018

Thanks @Emeister
    Good question if these timely calendars ever flew in space ?
    I have some photos of those worn on a JB Champion bracelet worn by the Apollo 9 crew... during preflight briefings & at the barber shop ;)

10. rob#1 Jan 20, 2018

11. zimonyig Jan 20, 2018

afaik these are just simple square plates so without the tiny wings you cannot attach them to a strap

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. rob#1 Jan 20, 2018

Ah, OK, that makes sense, although I could just dig out the superglue and paperclips :eek:

13. TLIGuy Jan 20, 2018

@Emeister don't give up your search because you have found an image of Wally indeed wearing a calendar folded around his white Velcro strap.

The image you posted (68-H-939) was taken on October 11, 1968, Apollo 7 launch day. My eyes are not the greatest but clearly the calendar is attached to his strap. Here is an enlarged image where you you can make out some of the identifying features of the calendar.

Schitta calendar.jpg

The image below shared by @SpeedyPhill to contradict what you had found is not from the same day. This image (68-HC-428) was taken on July 26, 1968 during a altitude pressure test, not Apollo 7 launch day.

Here is the cut out image along with the full image.

499744-71eb44065bbad878fe8c1f57f838bae8-2.jpg 68-HC-428.jpg

It's a good question and one that I think has been answered. If the pictures above are not evidence enough then again the two quotes below referring to "wrist calendars" should be but it's possible the reference to "wrist calendars" could refer to some other type of calendar that is not worn on the wrist.;)

IMG_2909.jpg

458375-d16f70b61c971cb2898d400f1036512f.jpg

Someone might want to message the seller of this set of new 1969 Timely calendars and tell him they were only worn by astronauts getting hair cuts. They might go a little cheaper.

Ebay 1969 New Timely CalendarsPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600.jpg

Edited Jan 20, 2018
    Emeister and SpeedyPhill like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 20, 2018

Apollo 7 is a great mission to look for Speedmaster chronographs, however they wore the mission logo patch from July 1968 onwards, making it difficult to directly seen on images which is actual launch day... October 11, 1968 ;)
    Later crews did not wear the mission logo patch during Altitude chamber tests and Countdown demonstration tests...
    Here's part of the launch day images
    Wally.jpg

Emeister likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 20, 2018

Apollo 9 preflight briefing (January 25, 1969) and at the barber shop (February 26, 1969):
    :cool:
    A9.jpg A09_Scott.jpg

TLIGuy and Emeister like this.
  16. Lowflight Jan 20, 2018

That is awesome

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 20, 2018

Checked the October 22, 1968 footage of the recovery and arrival aboard the USS Essex...
    Apollo 7 commander Wally Schirra definitively wore the same strap with metal ring around his wrist on landing...
    :rolleyes:
    A7_Strap1.jpg A7_Strap2.jpg

Emeister likes this.
  18. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 20, 2018

I think I recognise the second shot above @SpeedyPhill ; exiting helicopter Seaking 55 onboard USS Essex.
    But what photo is the first image cut from? Looks like Wally is still wearing his spacesuit, minus the gloves, so is this exiting the Command Module into the rubber dinghy? If so is there a series of shots of this anywhere?
    I'd heard that splashdown was about 18km from the Essex so there was no footage of that actual event or the capsule tipping upside down. I don't think I'd seen any other recovery photos other than one winching to the helo shot before this weekend.

Water Egress training 5th August 1968. Fully suited.
    S68-42197_orig.jpg S68-46605_medium.jpg
    I almost bought a signed copy of this second photo yesterday (from a respected seller) as it was wrongly described as "taken just after splashdown".

Actual splashdown recovery 22 October 1968. Already changed out of spacesuits. Unfortunately nothing conclusive re Wally's wrist calendar. This can't be the only available photo?
    S68-49529_orig.jpg

Onboard USS Essex a few minutes later
    S68-49744_medium.jpg
    Unfortunately nothing conclusive again.
    Crop of Wally and Donn
    s68-49744 crop.jpg

When they were able to take shots like this inflight there must be one somewhere of someone reaching for a switch or something. Ever hopeful.
    as07-04-1584_orig.jpg

Looks like I'm all out of luck with images. Maybe there will be something in the videos as they did make live TV transmissions from Apollo 7.
    EDIT: That sounds stupid now. :( I never realised that there was so much onboard footage taken on all missions. :cool:

Edited Jan 21, 2018
  19. TLIGuy Jan 21, 2018

@Emeister what else are you looking for that might convince you that that the calendars were flown on Apollo 7? Do you not believe they were used or do you just want to see more? I think the image you originally shared shows the calendar on Wally's strap on launch day, unfortunately not as clear as anyone would like. Also, the two book passages I shared show that incidents with calendars were so ingrained in their memories of the mission they were written about 40+ years later.

Edited Jan 23, 2018
    Emeister likes this.
  20. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 21, 2018

I'm convinced. :D
    I'd just like to see more.
    Especially hoping for images of a Timely calendar with dates marked off. :cool: And one in particular on your wrist someday. ;)

TLIGuy likes this.