Forums Latest Members

The final elusive piece of the Speedmaster/JB Champion combination has arrived...

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 4, 2016

TLIGuy likes this.
  2. Sanmilc Sep 4, 2016

Looks awesome congratulations!!

3. Superfunk Sep 4, 2016

Hell yeah

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 4, 2016

Where were you in 1975?

5. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2017

Before you even think about it I've already called dibs on it when he eventually digs it out of storage, if he still has it.:thumbsup:

I found this passage on page 70 in the recently released book Apollo Pilot..The Memoir of Astronaut Donn Eisele

"We all had minor problems during our flight. Wally was constipated, Walt didn’t like the food, and I couldn’t sleep - except, perversely, when I wasn’t supposed to. Wally and Walt got cabin fever. Walt made it worse with his daily ritual of scratching the date off his wrist calendar. I didn’t get “go home fever” until the very last day, which was a very long one for me."

Don't let Donn bust you chops Walt. Scratch away!!

RSCN3824_zps2818d425.JPG

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 30, 2017

I was looking at buying Donn's book again earlier this week.
    Gutted I didn't get it when it first came out now :mad: ;)
    Donn.jpg

Really hope you get it/(them).

Always wondered whether it was Walt that got back to you and kick started this whole obsession. [below post]
    Are you able to yay or nay? :cool: :D
    I missed out on one of the 'Big Box' sets earlier in the month. Still kicking myself.
    Timely.jpg

I thought someone else here might have shown them off by now.

7. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2017

@Emeister it was not Walt it was actually one of the moon walkers that told me about them when this all started.

Yea, I'm sorry about that one. I have to confess it was me that got them.

That said, since it was you that I sniped them from I'll offer you this consolation prize. If you want this new set of 1969 calendars just PM me with your address and I'll send them your way free of charge to help ease the pain.

IMG_1361.jpg

And an updated picture of the happy family not including the new 1969's that I won't pick up until I return to the states in August. Something to look forward to.

IMG_1357.JPG

8. Tritium Apr 30, 2017

Great done!
    You made my day :)
    Congrats @Emeister Happy you finally got yours.

Mark020, Emeister and TLIGuy like this.
  9. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 30, 2017

But, but, but.... you said you had retired :eek:
    ;)

That's incredibly generous but not necessary. Thank you very much for the offer though.
    I'm just sorry I bid you up now.

I so nearly messaged you when I first saw them; think it was about four hours after listing that I put in my bid.
    Then I spent the whole week refreshing this thread to see if you'd spotted them and were going to let everyone else know :D

Even though I had a snipe set I still got up early here and watched the end of the auction "live". Gutted. Ruined my weekend :rolleyes:

:cool: Really would be amazing if you got hold of Walt's Oct '68 calendar. I might have to customise one myself.

Just a reminder that my birthday is 22 October 1968, splashdown day.
    So, not wishing to jinx something that hasn't happened yet, but can I hint at a 'D' word that rhymes with ribs :D
    (even though you should never let them go).

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 30, 2017

I just reread your original post again and the answer was always there. Can't believe I missed that for so long ::facepalm2::

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 30, 2017

yeah. i have a few as well. but collecting older speedmasters, i had not used them so far. maybe time , to get a moonlanding year speedy..... kind regards. achim

TLIGuy likes this.
  12. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2017

I thought I was retired too but then saw the set in the larger box similar to the 1968 set I have and had to have it. My wife was less than thrilled when I took my iPad to dinner with friends so I could bid on it since it ended at 9:42pm here in Italy which is smack in the middle of dinner time on a Friday.

Honesty, the calendars are yours if you want them. Think about it and drop me a PM if you change your mind.

Tritium likes this.
  13. epcwks Apr 30, 2017

Nice persistence! This post is TV worthy when you include the history, the time piece, the astronauts and your bat*!(t obsession.
    Really enjoyed this post. Thank you.

14. TLIGuy May 4, 2017

Edited May 4, 2017
  15. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude May 4, 2017

:( Sadly not me that got them.

:thumbsup: Thanks very much for the PM though. :cool:
    As there was already a bid in play I was sleeping on my options. :rolleyes:

I suppose nothing is really "odd" in the world of eBay these days but for a 5 day listing to receive a bid within a few hours and then a second bidder within 12 hours you'd think the seller would have to realise they have something of interest. In this case there is also your very similar set as an extremely recent "ended listing" "open bidding" sales result for the seller to use as research; if they can put in that little effort. ***
    I wonder how much the "winner" had to offer to make it worthwhile to end the listing.

I might have to rethink my eBay strategies. :unsure:

Thou shalt not covet thy OF buddy's Timely Wrist Calendars.
    BUT, I really want one of these 'big box' sets.

They will come.
    [And I really should be grateful for the collection I already have. /enlightened/zen emoji / ] ;)

*** Edit:
    I've just gone back and checked your completed listing from the other week and of course it doesn't actually reference "Timely" in the title. (Which was why I got so excited at the time :D ). So there is every possibility that the buyer got this latest set in the $15 - $25 range that other (non-Timely) sets have been going for.
    If so, a big congratulations to the winner. :thumbsup:
    And definitely time for my gloves to come off in the eBay ring.

Edited May 4, 2017
    TLIGuy likes this.
  16. zimonyig Jun 20, 2017

Big thanks to @TLIGuy first for this great topic and his selfless help to make this pic:
    IMG_1099.JPG

Thanks again John!
    ;):thumbsup:::love::

17. TLIGuy Jun 20, 2017

@zimonyig you are welcome and I'm glad I could help out. I think the calendar is a great compliment to your watch and bracelet with the added bonus of matching the extract month and year as well.

Enjoy it!!

zimonyig likes this.
  18. TLIGuy Jul 7, 2017

A Calendar Public Service Announcement -

Here is a really nice set of 1970 (Apollo 13 Year) calendars for sale on ebay herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network if anyone is interested. While they are not the Timely calendars traditionally seen on the JB this style works very well with the bracelet. They run across the width of the bracelet so less space is required to fit them. I'm a Timely kind of guy but I admit I think these look a bit better on the bracelet.

s-l500-2.jpg s-l500.jpg 383681-0563daa8c18e9de784908edcae85bd25.jpg

Edited Jul 7, 2017
    Jones in LA, Atalien2005 and Pahawi like this.
  19. watchyou Jul 7, 2017

Nice.:)

20. TLIGuy Oct 23, 2017

Reading Walt Cunningham's book The All-American Boys this evening when I ran across this little gem on page 171.

Looks like Wally was a fan too...

IMG_2786.jpg