Forums Latest Members

The final elusive piece of the Speedmaster/JB Champion combination has arrived...

1. TLIGuy Sep 7, 2013

The search is finally over for the final piece to my 1968 Speedmaster/JB Champion set-up.[​IMG]

The missing piece you ask, or most likely not, the elusive H Shaped calendar as worn in conjunction by some astronauts with the JB Champion bracelets. I had asked a few of the astronauts if they recalled the brand or manufacture of the calendars they used but none of them could remember. I thought after all they had going on this would be the last bit of information they would retain, and I was correct, at the time. Then a few months ago I woke up to an email from one of them with the word Timely in the subject line. His email said that he was working around the house and it just popped into his head. While I was thrilled to have the information I was more impressed that after years of memories flying jets, training, orbiting and walking on the surface of the moon I had inserted myself into the deepest reaches of an Apollo astronauts brain[​IMG]

Finally, the quest began. After months of searching and checking multiple sources I checked ebay everyday, if not every few hours, under multiple words and combinations only finding H shaped calendars by Profile from the 80's, to current production ones, to the newer oval calendars. Then last week, to my surprise, the elusive Timely calendar appeared. While ideally I was looking for calendars from '68-'70 I purchased them immediately and victory was declared.

Are you all thinking I'm bat $h!t crazy yet[​IMG] You bet, but we all have our obsessions and this was mine.

RSCN3692.JPG

RSCN3694.JPG

RSCN3690.JPG

Edited Jun 6, 2015
    Samir, Olhenry56, pkaye6 and 90 others like this.
  2. screwzlewz Sep 7, 2013

Actually it sounds pretty cool, and I just learned something I never knew. Kudos to you!

tapaptpat likes this.
  3. Sherbie Sep 7, 2013

It good to have one obsession take a hold of you, once in a while:)

Great effort and detective work - i,m impressed.

tapaptpat and noelekal like this.
  4. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2013

The stuff you learn and contacts you make from collecting watches!

VintageNoble, tapaptpat and Longbow like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2013

R e e a a l l y cool :thumbsup:

6. CdnWatchDoc Sep 7, 2013

Bat s#@%? No, just a typical vintage watchaholic...But if you really want, I can get you some meds for that....:)

GordanDaniel, tapaptpat and noelekal like this.
  7. c6mmi Sep 7, 2013

Great band and story.
    I'm so glad your obsession is contagious and I'm not even looking for a cure.

tapaptpat likes this.
  8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 8, 2013

Nice work!
    I've been searching for these 'on and off' for a couple of years myself. Your post should help my search no end but like you I'm after '68 or '69 ideally too.
    I'm only on my phone at the moment but looking forward to searching through your previous posts. Have you told us the story of the autograph inside your case back yet?

I should get in touch with Walt Cunningham again. The Apollo 7 capsule splashed down on the day I was born and I've picked up a couple of things from him in the past. Nothing watch related though.

Thanks for your post.
    Ian.

9. The Master of Speed Sep 8, 2013

10. TLIGuy Sep 17, 2013

Thinking I had not recently checked in at the bay for calendars since I was satisfied with my recent acquisition I decided to take a look and behold what was just listed a few hours ago. A new minty unused set of '68-'69 calendars. These were the ones I was really looking for. The set will nicely compliment my 1968 Speedmaster, my December 1968 birth year, and the historic July 1969 first moon landing. I immediately contacted the seller and she gladly cancelled the auction and sold me the set.

Here they are all sparkly new fresh out of the box....

$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+qpBR4)hJ7lU!~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!nYFHh3UM1(oBR4)i9UV+g~~60_12.jpg

Ohmeguh, SteveP, Luca.P and 16 others like this.
  11. Dash1 Sep 17, 2013

Great stuff! I always wondered what they had on the bands in the photos. Thanks for sharing it.

noelekal likes this.
  12. toddmp Sep 17, 2013

add me to the list of people who have been looking for these as well off and on throughout the years.

13. TLIGuy Sep 30, 2013

I don't know what my obsession is with these things but does history get any better for the Speedmaster than 1969. I love new and unused condition stuff like this. I wonder how long these were sitting in the drawer?

$(KGrHqZ,!lgFIf2wK+mNBSMNiJEqSw~~60_57.jpg

Ascalon, tjdwhite, b-lilja and 13 others like this.
  14. tomvox1 Sep 30, 2013

Very cool. I expect these to get very scarce going forward... ;)
    Congrats & enjoy those cool period details,
    T.

Twocats likes this.
  15. ctime3 Oct 1, 2013

I think that is awesome. I think I win the crazy cake for wanting the speedmaster 9300 when I already have the 42 speedy professional

16. apollo XI Oct 1, 2013

Very very nice. ::love::

I like it.

Giuseppe.

17. TLIGuy Feb 22, 2015

I get quite a few PM's requesting information about the Timely calendars. My daily search turned up this set. If anyone is interested, here is a nice set of 1969 calendars. My preference is to have advertising free pieces but I think with a little solvent or fine grit sand paper the advertising can be removed leaving you with a nice set of calendars. This set seem seems to include the elusive July 1969 calendar. I think the only issue is the seller is not currently open to shipping overseas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321672587421?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

SpeedyPete and Mad Dog like this.
  18. ock2915 Feb 22, 2015

Fantastic research , congratulations in finally finding them:thumbsup:

19. imexian Feb 22, 2015

Great detective work, that's what I like about the speedys, lots of new info and articles that you never knew about or thought about even, then reading this it's something new.
    Ian

20. TLIGuy Feb 22, 2015

Just a bit of a side note regarding the JB Champion bracelets. In doing my research regarding the NASA Speedmasters I ran across this patent drawing for the bracelet.

If you thought opening the bracelet was tough try putting one together.

US3084412-0.png

US3084412-1.png