Forums Latest Members
  1. timewise Oct 4, 2022

#2 is my favorite too and probably worth the higher price.

Yes, #2 is confirmed to be relumed, still inquiring about the gib but would be surprised if it's really missing. The lume of #1 is gone, and it also has some rust on the caseback - whatever happened to "stainless"? ;)

2. cverstegen Oct 4, 2022

Yah, looks like the paint has chipped off the hands and hour markers on #1. That would be a no-go for me personally.

#2 looks nice enough if you are ok with the possible relume.

timewise likes this.
  3. timewise Oct 4, 2022

Considering that the debris of old lume sometimes isn't appealing either, I would consider a relume acceptable (even if is indeed a modification).

4. noless Oct 4, 2022

the screw is visible in #2 so the gib is there, if it was just the screw and not the gib for one the rotor would be flapping around and likely scuffed up the rotor and caseback of which we see no evidence of that, and the area surrounding the screw would appear as the automatic winding bridge in the rosy gilt finish. The black we see i therefor think is just a reflection as the gib is a polished part.

if you are buying to wear then #2 really does strike me as a pretty solid buy, ofc assuming better photos dont reveal anything untoward.

the relume may mean it loses some value to collectors, but it strikes me as you are buying from someone who understands that and has priced accordingly.

timewise likes this.
  5. tjdwhite Oct 6, 2022

Hello C-Team can you please tell me if there are different versions of crown 42054? Is the one pictured on my watch original? Anyone got a good source for replacements? I see 2 on ebay, one from US, small pics but looks like a different logo to the current crown https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143992467494Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    one from Canada that looks more like what’s on currently https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122814359464Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

43D48EF2-DA55-4AEA-8F09-1EF0B9D2BC59.jpeg
  6. kaplan Oct 6, 2022

I also bought 4 from the seller in Canada but didn’t arrive yet, there’s one main style

tjdwhite likes this.
  7. tjdwhite Oct 6, 2022

Thank you, that’s good enough for me!

8. kaplan Oct 6, 2022

He’s a really good person, I do like the vintage style crown more but didn’t come across the part number for that one yet, if anyone has it, it’d be a nice bit of information

9. tjdwhite Oct 6, 2022

Which one is the vintage style crown? Do you have a pic? From memory the part list from the gasket thread is 1976 and that has 42054.

10. kaplan Oct 6, 2022

This one, the 1966 version - also I forgot but there are 2 versions of the 42054 style as well, one is longer than the other

8D1E0319-A247-4C63-983D-4C61FF172A3A.jpeg

tjdwhite likes this.
  11. tjdwhite Oct 6, 2022

Ok great, thank you :thumbsup:

12. kaplan Oct 8, 2022

This watch is now on sale again, did something happen?

13. tjdwhite Oct 8, 2022

Is it?! Do you have a link?

14. tjdwhite Oct 9, 2022

I have been meaning to ask your view on this bracelet please @kaplan - although I think this is subjective rather than right/wrong. There's a 1040 bracelet on Ebay with 180 straight end links. One of the only hits I've found researching those end links is your comment here https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-1040-bracelet-with-180-end-links.137653/
    The NSA bracelet I have currently has straight end links, so in theory it's no worse. But is it worse having an Omega bracelet that doesn't fit 'properly' compared to another manufacturer?
    To my untrained eye the example on Ebay looks like a good 1040, but I can't help thinking I should wait for one with 518 links.

s-l1600 (8).jpg
  15. kaplan Oct 9, 2022

1040/518 is a common bracelet, so you should definitely wait for a good one

I believe it's definitely better having an Omega bracelet with a proper fit, some of my watches have Omega Milanese bracelets, some even have 18mm bracelets from Geneve models that match the curvature 1:1 - In my opinion, as long as the watch isn't damaged and the bracelet isn't damaged, it's an acceptable fit, as far as Geneve 18mm ones, it's a wrong fit but gives the watches a different vibe that I saw on some watches, envied and recreated

So this bracelet would be in the milanese bracelet category - keep in mind that those endlinks are part of the bracelet and not removable

I'm PM'ing you the listing with your watch

16. tjdwhite Oct 9, 2022

719FF72D-E8B5-41F1-A39B-91F55666ABED.png
  17. kaplan Oct 9, 2022

I recently got scammed for the first time while buying a gold coated 1040 bracelet for 320 euros ... affected me quite a bit on top of other things not going right

It was an established seller too, turned a scammer - on the bright side I do understand the cautious buyer mindset better now, and being extremely careless up to this point, it could've been a lot worse for me

tjdwhite likes this.
  18. Neeb Oct 9, 2022

There are some sellers whose business model is offering to sell watches that are being offered for sale by someome else at a fixed price. They copy the photos and then ask for a price that is above the price offered by the genuine seller, then when they get a sale, immediately buy the watch and sell it on at a profit.. If the watch is already sold by the genuine seller by the time someone tries to buy it they just apologise and say that they no longer have it, or that there is some other problem..

I became aware of this myself when I was interested in a particular (non Omega) watch that was being offered for sale on ebay by three different sellers at different prices.. I was able to work out which one was the genuine seller (they were the cheapest of course, and a reputable Japanese seller), and buy it from them. But it was still being offered for sale by the other sellers for a week or so afterwards!

LanceSaintPaul, Newb and tjdwhite like this.
  19. tjdwhite Oct 9, 2022

That is good info, thank you. I hadn’t realised that. I was thinking there’s a slim chance I’ll find the right end links and enjoy the straight fit in the meantime.

20. tjdwhite Oct 9, 2022

I have lived fast and loose on Ebay and just about got away with it so far! Reading another thread about scammers and flippers (even in Private Sales here) I have made a mental note to be more careful. Thanks for your and @Neeb’s words of caution :thumbsup: