Forums Latest Members
  1. Neeb Aug 5, 2022

I have a tiny 6" wrist, I'll post a shot of mine when it arrives! (see above).

Incidentally, the Japanese seller Closer has a few other C cases on Chrono24 right now at reasonable prices in additon to the one I bought.

I'm curious about the dial text variations in the later model 168.029s. As well as the change in the Constellation text (curly "n"s to straight "n"s). There are variations of the "straight n" dials with different MOY alignments. Also, am I right in thinking that the star might be slightly smaller in the later, straight-n models? There are multiple examples of all these styles, so I assume they are all genuine:

Image8.jpg

slip55 likes this.
  2. kaplan Aug 5, 2022

First is around 1968
    Middle is service dial
    Last one is around 1970

Also observe the different Omega logos, the later ones are more petite, however there are exceptions to the rule, they used the petite logo on some earlier models as well

Quite interesting how the line just ran 5 years but they created sooo much variation

Edit: I want to buy a brushed dial 168.029 even if it's a service dial, however as far as I see, they've never hit eBay etc. in the last 2 years, considering all those covid deaths, I think it's safe to say that if you get a service dial, you live longer, maybe it's from the peace of mind and approach to life :)

JGreenman, Neeb and Gcaggiari like this.
  3. kaplan Aug 5, 2022

This is my favourite dial of the dials I don't have:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 15.00.40.png

The unseen "SWISS" should be disorienting, coupled with the petite logo, but looking at 1966 C-Case's, the petite logo was used, and I believe this is a rare USDM dial, not worth paying $3000+ - but I'm low key looking for a steel version

4. Neeb Aug 5, 2022

It's often subtle variation too - you wonder of they just had too many designers sitting around tweaking things every year for the sake of it, or if it was something to do with different factories / changes in manufacturing processes.

5. noless Aug 5, 2022

My theory (entirely speculation on my part so please dont take this as any in depth research other than looking at auction sites perhaps a bit too much) is that some of these variations are for different regions, as I noticed there are a lot of luminous c-cases with no T's when you are looking at Japanese auctions and stores, I was thinking that perhaps it was due to the sensitivity towards radioactivity in the Japanese public perception.

I see it so much that I feel like there cant be a Japanese re-dialer of the era that was THAT prolific.

...and to make myself feel better as none of my Japanese c-cases have the T's

ken_hodson likes this.
  6. ken_hodson Aug 5, 2022

On a 6.5" wrist and also purchased from Closer (last year). No 'T's on the dial!

20220718_211105.jpg
    Geme81, JGreenman, LesXL and 4 others like this.
  7. Neeb Aug 5, 2022

IME photos of watches on the wrist often make them look bigger than they actually appear in life, especially if they are taken closeup with phone cameras (due to the distorting effect of the wide angle lens).

8. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

Thanks everyone for the pics! I really have to get one. I think my favorite one is the 168.027 with the grey-ish dial. I do like the 168.029 as well but prefer the date only. So hard to find a clean example of one!

Id love for it to be pretty dang near mint, but still original of course. The prices vary wildly and I am admittedly a bit of a novice with this stuff. I’ve wanted an omega since I was a little kid 15+ years ago and I think this maybe the one I have to go with.

Boojumhunter likes this.
  9. kaplan Aug 5, 2022

It's the best time to buy one, but 168.019 and 168.027's are much much less common, so if you want gold, 168.029 is an easy target, the sanest option is Closer from Japan and paying around $1000 - keep in mind that they declare the full value, so it's like +20%

You can get a 168.029 around $500-700 too, however it's risky, lately with fears of recession etc. - Closer has a surplus of good options, normally he used to sell good watches fast too and only watches with 1-2 issues remained, the watches @Neeb shared are nearly all flawless, back when I first started collecting prices were like 1.5X - they dropped quite a bit recently

10. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

I do like the gold and especially the rose gold but I think a steel case is what I wanna go with first. I saw a 168.029 grey dial closer had listed for sale, it looks pretty nice but I would really like to find something near flawless if possible, like the one Neeb posted.

11. kaplan Aug 5, 2022

I mean the white gold around 168.027 and 168.029's, if you want a grey dial with only date, you can find a 168.017 in 1-2 months, but you'll likely spend 1-2 years for a 168.027

12. unxsr Aug 5, 2022

6 inch wrist for reference.

1455173-48e85bb2a1b8b9d1ed512974364cb498.jpg
  13. unxsr Aug 5, 2022

I almost got my first c-case from Closer a month back but it didn't work out at the end. Curious how yours turn out. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

14. unxsr Aug 5, 2022

@kaplan wow, this one looks great!

kaplan likes this.
  15. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

Is it just the white gold bezel or white gold capped? If so I didn’t even know that was an option. I could be open to a 168.029 with a grey dial, I just prefer date only. I gotta have the coin edge bezel or whatever it’s called haha.

16. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

Looks awesome, super jealous! Thanks for sharing

17. unxsr Aug 5, 2022

I saw 029 grey dial for sale on eBay earlier today if you're in the states.

18. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

I am in the states. The main thing holding me back right now is my lack of knowledge. I’ve read for hours and hours about C cases, but I still don’t feel confident in determining whether dials have been refinished, whether other stuff is original or not, or even the overall quality of the piece other than what meets the untrained eye. Hell I don’t even think I could spot a real one from a fake.

Is the 029 grey dial on eBay from the 'Closer' seller? Pretty sure I saw that one too. It looks decent iirc, but I really would like something more mint. It doesn’t have to perfect but I’d love it to be as close as possible. I don’t have a set budget really, but it would be nice to find an example that checks all the boxes for $~1500 or less.

19. unxsr Aug 5, 2022

It was from a private seller with a "best offer" option but it's not a perfect one so might not be for you.

Take your time to study as I've learned so much by reading through old posts here and asking questions.
    With your budget and if you're patient, I'm confident to say you'll find a great one soon.

I'm fairly new to Omega myself but always happy to help if you need!

20. slip55 Aug 5, 2022

Yeah I’m really hoping for something mint, that I can own for the next 50+ years and still have it look nice haha. I’ve read so much and still fe
    Thank you. It is tricky though, the more I read, the less I know. There is so many variations it’s hard to keep track of what’s legit or not. Hoping I can find one and then send it here and get y’all’s opinion on it before I pull the trigger.

Any other places I should be checking besides chrono24 and eBay?