The C-Cased Constellation Thread

My first post in quite some time. And the first time I have worn this one in several months.

Have a good weekend and keep safe.

2021-04-23%2009.49.16.jpeg
Stunning - thanks for posting

Tried it on leather to change! 0C46E360-88E9-423B-9468-AD9601069266.jpeg
Wow, such a perfect example, I wouldn't dare wear that 😁

Hi folks, all the way from New Zealand, and this is my first post. I'm glad to find others that love these models, but even within this community I have to ask: do I have a problem? (For what it's worth, the gold-capped date top left was my first ever vintage watch that started this whole journey...)

tempImageWo9uig.png

You definitely have a problem, now if you could kindly sell the Olive one to me, that would be great 😁

Pffst, I wasn't a jealous person before this thread, now I sadly burn with envy 😁

I don't know man, I will just not wear ones that don't have anything wrong with them

The ones that have something wrong with them all have many stories to tell ... especially the missing lume pips - I can't imagine how I'd feel if I attempted to get one serviced, and it'd end up with a missing lume pip - a true nightmare scenario for me, I just don't want to be a part of the damage

As they are now 50 years old, I just can't justify wearing well preserved ones - not that I'm judging you tho, on the contrary, as they are worn, the values of the preserved pieces go up 😁

From a selfish perspective tho, an abused one costs $500 - a good one costs $800 - don't know what to think about this to be honest - if you are going to wear one, it makes sense to wear a good one

i-img1200x1071-1617788691uu8syf192392.jpg

I recently grabbed this for example - someone had an accident with it, crystal looks micro-cracked with skidmarks on top - I hope the dial is clean and it's not dirt inside the dial - this cost close to $700 - just economically thinking, this purchase was a mistake

But at the same time, when I see a C-Case, all logic goes out the door 😁

I don't know man, I will just not wear ones that don't have anything wrong with them

The ones that have something wrong with them all have many stories to tell ... especially the missing lume pips - I can't imagine how I'd feel if I attempted to get one serviced, and it'd end up with a missing lume pip - a true nightmare scenario for me, I just don't want to be a part of the damage

As they are now 50 years old, I just can't justify wearing well preserved ones - not that I'm judging you tho, on the contrary, as they are worn, the values of the preserved pieces go up 😁

From a selfish perspective tho, an abused one costs $500 - a good one costs $800 - don't know what to think about this to be honest - if you are going to wear one, it makes sense to wear a good one

i-img1200x1071-1617788691uu8syf192392.jpg

I recently grabbed this for example - someone had an accident with it, crystal looks micro-cracked with skidmarks on top - I hope the dial is clean and it's not dirt inside the dial - this cost close to $700 - just economically thinking, this purchase was a mistake

But at the same time, when I see a C-Case, all logic goes out the door 😁

Crystals aren't that expensive.

Some follow-up questions:

1) How much are original marked crystals?
2) Where should we buy them?
3) Where can we buy aftermarket crystals? (Especially if someone has a specific model / place to buy, that would be awesome)

I don't remember which forum member, apologies, but his story inspired me a lot, he had a crystal press that he used frequently, he talked about how it was the best purchase etc. - and an easy thing each watch owner could do

2) A watchmaker with an Omega parts account.

2) A watchmaker with an Omega parts account.
Yes, the safest way to go .. but unfortunately also the most expensive ! Now then we are talking crystals .. not the most expensive parts in the watch !!

I don't remember exactly how much they cost, but I think it was under $50. This is one of the plastic ones, not saphire. (I'm sure it depends how much the watchmaker wants to charge for installing it too.) If you are going to need to have the watch serviced, it would probably be cheaper to ask the watchmaker to do the service and replace the crystal at the same time.

Their online prices seem to be $60-$70 - There's a NOS day-date one on eBay that no one seems to want to buy - I also never saw NOS ones pop up, but honestly, I didn't look much either

I guess it's a well protected market since they seem to still be available (and I assume, they are newly made), yet, no one actually sells them online except one retailer in US

Maybe when the "Right to Repair" movement gets mature and becomes a law in EU, we can more easily buy spare parts, however sadly, they only seem to include electronics and stuff :/

As an example, most gold ones have used-up crowns, not worn etc. - basically destroyed altogether, it would be nice to just order a crown/stem combo for a reasonable price and the swap is usually a push-button release so anyone can do it

Omega maintains a very close hold on their parts account. Only authorized service providers (like independent watchmakers certified by Omega) can have an account. If they sell parts to a third party that is not part of a service, they can lost their account.
The ones you see pop up on eBay are either old stock floating around from the inventory of a retired watchmaker, or fake product. Ofrei, Cousins and Jules Borel used to stock parts but lost their parts accounts long ago. Anything they have now are lingering stock for unpopular models, or new aftermarket product “to fit” Omega watches.
Aftermarket crystal are hit or miss for fit. The profiles vary, the thickness vary, and the fit under the bezel vary. If they are not an absolute perfect fit- the waterproof seal will be compromised. So it’s worth the extra few bucks for factory.
You’re best bet is to form a relationship with an authorized Omega independent and ask them to fit a crystal for you. Some may want to do it as part of a complete service (which they all should have anyway) or may just charge you a small fee to replace the crystal as a service.

I don't remember exactly how much they cost, but I think it was under $50. This is one of the plastic ones, not saphire. (I'm sure it depends how much the watchmaker wants to charge for installing it too.) If you are going to need to have the watch serviced, it would probably be cheaper to ask the watchmaker to do the service and replace the crystal at the same time.

Unfortunately the days of sub-$50 crystals are long gone. As I've mentioned previously, parts prices at Omega have been going through sometimes rapid and very odd changes. Parts sometimes double or triple in price overnight. Crystals are not excepted from this, and what was once an easy decision to replace a crystal in a watch that had minor damage, now has a rather large impact on the final invoice, and I find myself polishing out more scratches than ever to keep costs down.

Omega acrylic crystals now cost more than many Omega sapphire crystals did just 5 years ago...

Unfortunately the days of sub-$50 crystals are long gone. As I've mentioned previously, parts prices at Omega have been going through sometimes rapid and very odd changes. Parts sometimes double or triple in price overnight. Crystals are not excepted from this, and what was once an easy decision to replace a crystal in a watch that had minor damage, now has a rather large impact on the final invoice, and I find myself polishing out more scratches than ever to keep costs down.

Omega acrylic crystals now cost more than many Omega sapphire crystals did just 5 years ago...
I assume Omega contracts out the manufacture of crystals. How hard would it be to find out who makes them for Omega and buy from the OEM supplier? Akin to buying a part from BMW versus the Bosch labeled part which is identical.

I assume Omega contracts out the manufacture of crystals. How hard would it be to find out who makes them for Omega and buy from the OEM supplier? Akin to buying a part from BMW versus the Bosch labeled part which is identical.

I've not tried to find anything out, but I can say there is no information on the Extranet ort on the packaging to lead to a supplier.

If someone did manage to find them, I do have doubts that a supplier would be able to sell these to anyone other than Omega - things like this are usually in the purchase contracts to limit a manufacturer selling branded parts out the back door. Of course if those rules are followed may depend on where exactly the manufacturing is done...

In other hobby communities, there are usually group buys for these sort of needs, but I don't think the watch community does these kind of things yet - If they have let's say a minimum order of 500 crystals, at $10 per crystal, for example I would get 50, another member would get a 100 - we could make it happen - but obviously like Archer said, finding the manufacturer seems to be the actual challenge here

I don't think we can get the Omega mark tho, but maybe another community made mark could be fun, a star representing the Constellation star etc. - or just "OF"

There are some group buys where, after a while (years), the items become legendary themselves and go 10x 50x in value etc.

EDIT

Maybe going after a domed sapphire glass is a good idea for a group buy? https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Customize-dome-crystal-sapphire-glass-for_60767968365.html

I don't know whether it's even possible for our dimensions / clearance etc.

I don't think we can get the Omega mark tho, but maybe another community made mark could be fun, a star representing the Constellation star etc. - or just "OF"

😲
For someone who obviously has a great passion for acquiring perfect, original, Constellations, (and keeping them safe by not wearing them) even thinking this let alone saying it out loud, brings you perilously close to losing your Constellation collectors club badge !

There are some group buys where, after a while (years), the items become legendary themselves and go 10x 50x in value etc.

I think you might be confusing Omega Forums with TRF. 😉

I have a different way of looking at things, there are 2 aspects, using and preserving, for using, it's best to not consume original crystals, preserve the vintage NOS ones in packages etc.

For example, the NOS crystals are now extinct on mainstream, with my approach, they'd still be around

I didn't think too much on the subject, if they are still being produced, and if NOS / New is indifferent, is an unmarked+same crystal from the same manufacturer etc. all that different? - This is one question - at the same time, another question is, if we were buying crowns, is an unmarked crown from the same manufacturer (if someone else was producing them) different? - Yes in that case, very very very different - so there's a line somewhere - anyway, just some thoughts

----------

Here are some NATO ideas, the Perlon and the baby blue ones are 20mm, the suede gray was 20mm too, but it's actually 19mm - they are from Cheapest Nato Straps

IMG_5995.jpeg IMG_5996.jpeg IMG_5997.jpeg IMG_5998.jpeg IMG_5999.jpeg

Back on its original extensible riveted bracelet.
I definitely prefer it on leather
2FCD5AA3-A361-49FA-B300-40D6C92BE2B6.jpeg