The C-Cased Constellation Thread

99%+ it's a re-dial as I bought it as a restored watch, basically a re-dial + service + brush combo

But whoever did it, did a great job in my opinion, the caseback engraving is untouched etc., it's very rare that I don't regret a purchase 😀

Found this original photo:
m2.png

For a long while, I thought every original silver sunburst I saw was a re-dial too, but it turns out the "Constellation" has multiple variations font/style-wise

Hi @kaplan and thank you for the kind compliment before and thanks for sharing yours too. 👍

I have to join the others and say I strongly believe yours is not a redial... If it is, that is definetely the best redial I have ever seen!

Really nice job as well with the brushing. It looks fantastic IMO.

I am also seeing these baton hands in white for the first time, and not in black, but still... There is a strong genuine feeling there for me.
Edited:

Thanks for the compliment, but I bought it as a re-dial, if it wasn't a re-dial, it would be quite the plot twist, as it's usually the other way around 😀

Just stumbled onto this watch on eBay and wanted to share:
s-l1600.jpg

This should be a re-dial too I assume, since the colorscheme doesn't exist, but they certainly nailed the "Constellation" typography well, maybe we should gather a comprehensive guide of all the genuine dials with references, otherwise I can't think of an easy way to distinguish

For example I believed this was a re-dial: https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-this-a-re-dial-thin-fonts.125973/

The fonts are too thin and the minute markers are a tad bit long, but it passed everyone's gaze as genuine, and there was just no way to be sure - so even if they are all documented, it's still soo hard to be sure 😀

1149436-a5674e7bc55be474563b3ab3184fae07.jpg

Still not a redial to me 😀
There are many font variations on those C-Case

I am not an expert but to me honestly also are both watches fine!

If the hands on the grey dial one are onyx, than even on that one I would not worry so much.

The font looks to me eyes correct, also on the silver dial one.

Take mine with a black dial for instance: I searched through the internet and could just find a couple more with exactly the same dial. Even here, where in the course of 3 years so many posted their C-Shape, I got to post the first one.

I would honestly assume the ones you posted are just uncommon.

It was a wild weekend for 168.029's - I had my eyes set on 2, someone, or someones, paid $300+ above market value for both and I got away with none, it was a nice weekend tho, so no worries, but my quest to collect 168.029's got a big hit - both .029's had photos with halted movements, one of them openly advertised as a seized watch, the grey sunburst one, but it still grabbed $1200+ - almost a record as far as auctions go, in a way it was interesting, observing someone as interested in them as me

Anyway, I got away with scraps this weekend, every time I post to OF with a photo, I feel like I'm posting to Reddit's RoastMe, but please tell me this sunburst with dauphine hands is genuine:
i-img1200x900-1616578777dbsvkc678456.png
i-img1200x900-1616578776d5bezy4929.png

Ones with dauphine hands do exist, but honestly I didn't do much research or inspecting on this one before buying, I thought I was going to buy the .029's instead 🙁 - On the bright side, this one cost half as much as them, and the non-existent lumes are a plus, but I do usually like to have the gold bezel 😀

It’s not actually upside down, it’s just turned 20degrees (to the right or left)
Rotated stars are quite common and of course could be a sign of a redialer at work, or a heavy handed watchmaker. (IIRC corrosion can also sometimes turn the star. )

Hi folks, all the way from New Zealand, and this is my first post. I'm glad to find others that love these models, but even within this community I have to ask: do I have a problem? (For what it's worth, the gold-capped date top left was my first ever vintage watch that started this whole journey...)

tempImageWo9uig.png

Hi folks, all the way from New Zealand, and this is my first post. I'm glad to find others that love these models, but even within this community I have to ask: do I have a problem? (For what it's worth, the gold-capped date top left was my first ever vintage watch that started this whole journey...)

tempImageWo9uig.png
Welcome! The only problem I see is your box is too small.

Welcome! The only problem I see is your box is too small.

You forgot to add the clue to the post (if you don't mind @JwRosenthal) : "Welcome! The only problem I see is your box is too small" so better start a FS post for 2-3 of them to make more space in your box 😀

Hi folks, all the way from New Zealand
tempImageWo9uig.png
Welcome, Boojum! Call me Mr 1972, but I'm loving the fumé dial – haven’t seen one for a year and a half (I should have bought it). What an entrance! 👍

tempImageWo9uig.png
Welcome mate, this forum is actually based out of Australia so we’re used to kiwis turning up with their chillybin’s full of C-Cases 👍

My first post in quite some time. And the first time I have worn this one in several months.

Have a good weekend and keep safe.

2021-04-23%2009.49.16.jpeg