Forums Latest Members

Talk me out of (or into) flipping my....

1. DIV Mar 30, 2017

...Polar Explorer II (Polar 16570) for a pre-ceramic No-Date Submariner....
    [​IMG]
    I like to keep a small collection of timepieces and for now, I like the idea of just one Rolex Sport (to go with my incoming Omega Railmaster LE).
    In the ideal world, I would keep the Exp II and just wait until funds permit the ADDITION of a no-date Sub, but that Sub has been calling with some urgency and the Date Sub is NOT an option as I've had it before and I want to the thinner case thickness and so the No Date Sub is the ONLY Diver I am now considering.

The pro's of keeping my 16570:
    -relatively rare white dial sport model
    -Date function
    -ability to wear with a SEL bracelet
    -nicely modded with 216570 orange 24 hand

The pro's of the Sub:
    -do I really need to list?...but here are a few...
    -the black dial has better legibility, especially without the date.
    -rotating bezel would get much more use than the GMT function of the Exp 2
    -Value increases faster than that of the Exp 2

Downside of replacing the Exp II with the Sub:
    -not as unique as the Polar Explorer
    -SEL bracelet is NOT an option
    -NO DATE
    -better chance of getting into a car accident while I'm gazing at the Sub while driving :chuckle:

I don't travel to other time zones very often and when I do, I often take a beater watch (if any).

So what are your thoughts?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 30, 2017

Never a huge of the white explorer, so I would say go for the 14060 that sings for you. :thumbsup:

efauser likes this.
  3. micampe Mar 30, 2017

If it were me I would keep the Explorer mainly because it’s not a Submariner, but you said pretty clearly that you like the Submariner.

4. longlifegoods Mar 30, 2017

Black all the way :whistling:

5. R3D9 Mar 30, 2017

Sub no-date all the way vs. the polar explorer. It's on the Mount Rushmore of watches, for goodness sake! Do it!!!

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. alam Mar 30, 2017

we all need a white dial in the mix and the EII is well-deserving its tool watch designation, and yours is much nicer....but the no-date Sub is a solid choice too... tough decision :coffee:

thumb_IMG_3432_1024.jpg
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 30, 2017

I flipped my polar and miss it, That said the polar was never my one watch choice, it was a great watch to add on to my collection. Took it when skying or feeling sporty.

I have a 14060m and absolutely consider it one of my most reliable watches. It never seems out of place. I also have a 5512 but I still rely more on the 14060m because I know it can handle anything. If you can, look for an M. The parachrom anti magnetic and specially anti shock are worth it.

So, If it's between those two go for the no date sub....If you can let go of something else though, the polar is a great watch to have.

8. semper_shells Mar 30, 2017

I love the white Explorer II. I think it's an unappreciated watch. It has more character than most tool watches. The no date sub is classic. There's a reason it's on everyone's must have list. Your heart says to get the sub but...ignore the but and get the sub

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. Huus Mar 30, 2017

This is a tough decision allright. I have both these watches and won't part with either one of them. I agree with alam that we need the mix of white and black dials and there are more good reasons for owning both. All I can suggest is to hang on to the Exp.II and wait till you have the funds to buy a 14060.
    By the way, I have several curved end rubber and leather straps from Everest and RubberB and they all fit both these models very nicely.

10. DIV Mar 30, 2017

The vote is in and I think I'm going to keep the modded Exp 2. I get it that the Sub prices are going to climb more rapidly than those of the Exp 2, BUT, it's much harder finding the right Polar Exp 2 than the right no date 14060. For my Polar, I got everything I wanted: holes case, Tritium dial that still glows, warranty paper and now the best part of the 216570: Orange 24 hr hand. I like the plan for my perfect trio: the most Iconic Diver: Submariner, Polar Explorer II for a GMT, and the Railmaster which in my mind beats out the Explorer for a 3-6-9-12/"Explorer style".
    Plus, Ican't give up having a Date watch....what would I do on Mondays?!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. onthedial Mar 31, 2017

@DIV
    Funny post! You were in a quandary at 3:44PM today and by 9:29PM tonight all was well. Did you really want to flip your Polar Explorer???
    IMHO, the 16570 is not rare and will never be very collectible. For what's genuinely sought after we'd need to be talking Reference 16550...the model wherein the dial tends to turn a unique, beautiful creamy color.

12. MaiLollo Mar 31, 2017

The polar is a very cool piece, I would like adding one to the collection in a distant future, and it certainly is more special than the Sub.
    But, then again, if you really want a Sub you should get a Sub.
    I also believe that the value should increase a bit, they depreciate a lot versus the rest of the Rolex sport line

13. chows99 Mar 31, 2017

The Sub 14060M is a ever classic and something I would never flip.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  14. DIV Mar 31, 2017

I think I have a very good solution, assuming I have to pick one: Get the Date 16610!
    -I'll have a Date function, actually a quickset Date, which I don't have in the Explorer 2
    -SEL bracelet is an option (I can use my spare 78790 bracelet)
    -only 0.5mm thicker than 14060
    -prices are about the same as 14060 and with the 16610, I'm getting a better ⌚️

15. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 31, 2017

I would never talk you out of that. Here is some more inspiration. The 14060(M) is the perfect watch if such exists.

IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0989.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1926.JPG IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

16. jfmiii Mar 31, 2017

if it were me and you are deadset on a 5 digit reference, id flip your 16570 for a 16710. youll keep your GMT function, have the versatility of swapping between Pepsi/Coke/Black bezels (and, thus, have the look of a Sub or GMT at your disposal) and youll have a watch that is and will be more collectible than either the 14060 or 16570.

pitpro likes this.
  17. DIV Mar 31, 2017

Nice pics!...thanks for the inspiration!
    Can anyone confirm that the No Date 14060 is Not noticeably thinner than the 16610? If it were significantly thinner (say closer to 1mm), I would be more inclined, but I think it's hardly noticeable.

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 31, 2017

Not sure about the thickness, but it is quite a different look. The suggestion of the 16710 is also a great one. Here's my 14060m and my 16710 with the last being a bonus shot of the 14060m grandad. My 5512

IMG_3662.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2970.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_1237.JPG
  19. gostang9 Mar 31, 2017

Threads like this are interesting for me to read. I guess I am quite different from some others. Each watch I own today was bought after much research and thinking about the one(s) I really wanted within the budget I set. I only made the purchase when I was convinced it was the best option for me at my given price-point. Then, after each purchase, I've always been satisfied with each one knowing it was the one I like best. As I begin to consider any new purchase, I always look at it as something I will add to the existing pieces I already own, and I again go through the same selection process. Whenever I find myself wavering between multiple pieces at the similar price-point, I know I haven't quite decided on the one I like best, so I hold off until I'm sure.

@DIV, the two watches you're considering are both sport models, but look very different and serve altogether different functions.

Aesthetically the Polar 16570 has the lovely white dial and discrete silver bezel, while functionaly it offers the date and GMT functionality. I have the later 216570 and with black dial, and I love this watch and use the full functionality often when I travel globally.

The no-date sub has the classic looks of probably one of the most recognized and popular watches we all know. The black dial and bezel stand-out on your wrist and tell the time very nicely, but nothing else.

You are clearly drawn to the classic sub, and you also are very happy with the ExpII as well. Why not keep what you have and wait until the Sub can be added to your current collection?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  20. speedolex Mar 31, 2017

[​IMG]

Seeing that my 16610 Sub Date is my go-to watch 5x a week for the past 16 years, no, I won't talk you out of flipping. You must flip. If the no-date Sub is something you like, trust me, you'll love it once you own it.

And there is one more thing in play here that you didn't mention: The oversized watch trend is fading and down the road big watches that wear even bigger (like your Explorer II) are going to be out of style and lose their resale values. You're picking the right time to make the move.

pianomankd likes this.