Forums Latest Members

Swatch — omega “Mission to Mars” [VIDEO] HANDS-ON

1. JwRosenthal Mar 24, 2022

I absolutely see some people buying multiples and doing dial/bezel/case swaps to get a color combo they want. I can also see the potential for some of these dial colors becoming LE’s in the pro line.
    Or perhaps this is a prelude for a SMPro 10 celestial bodies series.

2. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

@SpeedyPhill been pinging you in another thread on this, but if you watch videos of the cosmonauts it becomes pretty clear their watches are shiny/reflective seemingly gold-cased - not the matte yellow of the Omega X Swatch

which brings up a related point against this theory: we now know the yellow version is the “Sun” watch, which alone would seem an odd choice for the mission (why not mars or any other planet/moon actually on the space community’s radar?)

and a further point against this theory: we now know there are multiple watches, so wouldn’t an OxS effort look to put not the “Sun” on all three cosmonaut’s wrists, but instead each of - eg - the Earth, Moon, and Mars on the wrists?

@TLIGuy paged here as being the first I saw to note the strange wrists of the cosmonauts, and the relative lack of images available

while fanciful and extremely unlikely, I’m holding out hope for a different scenario: while everyone is watching Swatch stores for the 11 bio-ceramic pieces, the Omega side of this hype release equation is a gold-cased speedy presently on ISS

SpeedyPhill and TLIGuy like this.
  3. Dan S Mar 24, 2022

For those worried about investment value, see if you can get one of those briefcase displays with all 11 watches inside. 30 years from now, it will probably be valuable. :thumbsup:

4. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

Let me direct you to this other thread and post from me, which - if nothing else - only suggests that your opinions are way out of step with the last 20 years of luxury brand high-low collaboration

https://omegaforums.net/threads/what’s-happening-on-march-26th-then.143522/page-21#post-1959891

Edited Mar 24, 2022
  5. S.H. Mar 24, 2022

If it is doable this would mean serviceable to some extend. Not what I heard, usually swatch ceramic cases are monobloc (meaning closed casket from the factory). Old ones even had plexi glued on...

If those were proper watch cases I would be really interested.

cvalue13 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Mar 24, 2022

I guess someone will have to be the Guinea pig.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 24, 2022

Really? You think 18 years old will know this watch by random walk to Swatch showroom?

I bet they will see it from hundreds or even thousands intagram, tiktok, facebook, reddit and other social feeds within next few months before they visit Swatch showroom.

.....and dont forget Switch will prepare an army of influencers and buzzers to spread this trend.

BTW this afternoon my son (24 years old) went to Swatch showroom. Queue list has reached hundreds....

8. savka Mar 24, 2022

Would be cool but I doubt it's possible, as another poster mentioned. In one of the videos on YouTube (maybe by Revolution?), it's mentioned that the case does not come apart. Maybe by removing the crystal but, again, I doubt it.

I'm interested in changing out the straps if they use traditional spring bars...

9. gostang9 Mar 24, 2022

If the goal of a marketing plan is to drive insane demand and justify increasingly higher prices and revenue... Rolex obliterates Omega.

Sales and Marketing: Rolex handily defeats Omega.
    Building loyal fans who eat up whatever you do: This thread shows Omega has succeeded as well. Good on them.

VW, Audi and Porsche are a great comparison to this Swatch and Omega colab.

All owned by the same mother corporation, with some shared consumer products (as far as basic function goes).

What most on this thread seem happy to ignore is the brand value of a logo put onto a consumer product. It's very common to see overlap and sharing of technology/components behind lower and higher tier brands. It is NOT common to dilute the higher tier brand with joint logo and branding.

I recently bought my daughter a VW Tiguan (SUV) at a VW dealer. Not a single new Audi to be seen, as I had to drive down the road to a separate Audi dealer. I did go there, and looked at the Audi SQ5. Much higher price-point ($50k to $85k), with added features/options/performance and improved 'luxury' branding to justify the increased price. I also went searching for a Porsche Macan GTS. Yet another higher price-point ($85k to $105k), with yet more features/options/performance. This also required going to a different dealer, in another city 2 hours away because there isn't one in my home city. VW Group is very careful to sell, market and badge their different tiers separately. I cannot see them ever putting a VW + Porsche badge on a joint-effort SUV... it would be a massive marketing mistake that would undue the hard work they've put into convincing people that Porsche > Audi > VW.

alexxs and Ree like this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 24, 2022

I cannot wait to see some Philistine wearing one of these in real life. I’ll knock them to the ground shove my Speedmaster in their face, and yell suck it Swatch boy! Then I will key their pedestrian Volkswagen and drive away in my Porsche.

YY77, Dsloan, Dedalus05 and 3 others like this.
  11. vbrad26 Mar 24, 2022

Is this a rhetorical question? Because how do you know that is not EXACTLY what would happen?

So how do you suggest one would get into watches? Is there only one particular way to discover the world of watches that I am unaware of?

Think about it this way, you're a car guy. But you can only afford a regular C class Mercedes. Nothing wrong with that. But you just can't afford the AMG, not yet. But one day, you can. Are you not going to buy the AMG this time just because you have already had the regular C class?

And again, how do you know? Maybe this is what it takes for someone to become interested in space exploration...

As an aside, there is a guy at my office that can't afford a Speedy, but he likes watches and is beyond stoked that these now exist.
    And will that stop him from wanting (and eventually buying) a "real" Speedy?
    He says "hell no".
    Has it made him more interested in the moon landings?
    Nope.
    So it really just depends on the person. And I'm not arguing with you @alexxs , just trying to provide you with an alternate point of view.:thumbsup:

IDXM, mydeafcat and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 24, 2022

it's hilarious how many people purport themselves as watch enthusiasts but have no idea what Swatch's bioceramic is, despite it being around for a year at this point.

TwinPeaks and vbrad26 like this.
  13. vbrad26 Mar 24, 2022

What I find hilarious are all the "marketing experts" coming out of the woodwork.

14. michael e Still learning. Mar 24, 2022

I will buy one of these new MoonSwatch for my 11 year old son and take back the Speedy Tuesday I have been saving for him until he is 21, much better deal for me :D
    It would be great if you could service these, if not I am sure someone will devise a way.
    :thumbsup:

15. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

especially those who clearly view watches as commodities (they aren’t)

YY77, Caliber561, ConElPueblo and 3 others like this.
  16. tikkathree Mar 24, 2022

Absolutely right: all those pastel shade models in my local Rolex dealer's window "For display purposes only, not for sale": Swatch must be laughing their ass off right about now. :whipped:

Caliber561 and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. bags1971 Mar 24, 2022

18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 24, 2022

19. JwRosenthal Mar 24, 2022

Not 33 of them!! Who has to have this so badly before anyone else that they would pay such a premium….oh yeah- “investors”

apsm100 likes this.
  20. mydeafcat Mar 24, 2022

It is a brilliant move. And to @vbrad26 ‘s point, I am a marketing professional. I’m not coming out of the woodwork, but rather just dragging my ass out of bed (new initiate of the ‘great resignation’).

We are at what? 7 pages already? Canadian Watch Collector….same thing. WUS…same thing. Everyone is talking about it. That’s a great campaign by any estimation.

I argue that the Moonswatch will serve to drive up the value of Speedmasters. Indeed, ‘real’ Speedy’s are implied at every turn. Genius.

The best part? My wife wants one. Swatchgroup just saved me, like, $6500. Genius.

YY77, Dan S, apsm100 and 7 others like this.