Forums Latest Members

Rolex Exhibition Watches at dealers?????

1. jb.44 Aug 8, 2022

So I was going to my local AD recently to get a service done and just happened to walk by their display case. The case has been regularly empty for about 2 years now. This time though they had everything, like almost every single popular model that everybody wants to buy. I was in shock and talked to the rolex rep there and he said that rolex shipped them all of these watches purely for exhibition and for people to try them on. I got some photos of some pieces that they had in stock but I was wondering if anybody else's AD's were doing the same thing right now 20220801_151428.jpg 20220801_151217.jpg

blufinz52 likes this.
  2. omegawatchlover Aug 8, 2022

Yep! I think it’s a worldwide Rolex thing now. No 2022 models though. Did you get on the list for any watches while you were there?

3. flw history nerd Aug 8, 2022

Were the watches actually running? Recently Rolex has been issuing "display" models for use in their ADs that don't actually have movements in them.

4. TDBK Aug 8, 2022

I was of the belief that the Rolex exhibition watches which they've been rolling out globally have no movements and all have hands fixed at 10 and 2.

Your photos don't look like that, were these complete watches?

cvalue13 likes this.
  5. Evitzee Aug 8, 2022

I guess Rolex finally understood how foolish they looked with Rolex boutiques and ADs with empty showcases. So by stocking them with watches, real or dummies, they give the impression that they are actually in the business of selling watches. And it gives them the opportunity to do the Rolex pitch, "Sir/madam, that watch looks wonderful on you. It's not available right now for purchase but there are ways that you may eventually be allowed to purchase that watch, would you like to hear how that program is structured?" Then the mark, sorry, customer, gets the pitch that if he/she is willing to buy product of $X amount they would smartly move up 'the list' and get the mystical 'call'. Maybe it's smart marketing, who knows.

Perrier and Alfista88 like this.
  6. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2022

AD told me they hate it. Because now the unserious looky-loos are all back in droves to try on things for social media pictures, but not that the AD could sell them one even if they intended to buy one (they don’t)

Eve, blufinz52 and joeshoup like this.
  7. joeshoup Aug 8, 2022

Well of course they do. What could be better than running a shop where you don't even have to speak to the customers?

rcs914 likes this.
  8. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2022

Their point, I think, is that these days Rolex as a brand attracts mostly non-customers. Personally, I somewhat empathize with the ADs here.

This AD sells all the other usual suspects (Cartier, Panerai, Tudor, Breitling, etc.) and I think they’re happy to chat with even aspirational customers about those brands.

Less time to do even that if the Rolex counter is encircled with teenagers wanting to fondle the hype.

9. DoctorEvil Aug 9, 2022

About a month ago I was at the Rolex outlet at Melbourne Airport, Australia, and they had watches in the display case. According to the sales rep they were not dummy watches. None for immediate sale though. Took the opportunity to see how a couple looked on my wrist:
    PXL_20220630_004409349.jpg PXL_20220630_004314274.jpg

Duracuir1 likes this.
  10. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

Have you got any pictures of these ‘display’ models with no movements? I keep hearing this claim repeated but every picture I’ve seen of people trying on display models, plus my own experience, is that these are fully functional watches, simply allocated as display only.

perenowell likes this.
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 9, 2022

That Explorer looks like a Fake.....

12. DoctorEvil Aug 9, 2022

That's interesting. What makes you say so? Can you point out the tells? If you look closely, you'll see these watches still have stickers on the sides. According to the sales rep it's to protect them. I'd be very surprised if an AD was pushing fakes. Here's a pic of the outlet in question...
    PXL_20220630_005428271.jpg

13. flw history nerd Aug 9, 2022

https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-that-a-submariner-i-see-in-the-display

14. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

15. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Aug 9, 2022

Just confirming your observation... I was surprised to find so many SS Rolexes in one of my local AD's. From first hand experience, I can confirm these are very real watches that start running as soon as you touch them, like they should. According to the sales rep present, the watches have been delivered at the start of 2022 as part of the regular allocation with the explicit instruction they are not to be sold (yet).

The cynic in me concludes that this is yet another way of keeping supply low as AD's are forced to hold back stock from selling. My optimistic side has to agree with Rolex that this new policy enables enthusiasts like myself to handle the watches first hand before committing to a long, long waiting list. (Or simply to reconsider a vintage piece instead, which is what I did :D.)

16. flw history nerd Aug 9, 2022

17. vbrad26 Aug 9, 2022

I must not have the picture anymore but late last year the AD by meed had a handful of SS models that were all "set" to 10:11:31 and had little placards next to them that said for exhibition only.

18. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

Even some of the watches on display in that thread (Eg blue sky dweller) are set to random times, not 10:10.

I guess there may have been some dummy models about but my experience has been that all the watches marked as ‘display only’, were complete and fully functional watches.

19. Donn Chambers Aug 9, 2022

My AD still has the Rolex area corded off and only allows customers in by appointment only. I dropped by a couple of days ago and asked if I could see a Rolex Explorer and the sales associate told me I had to make an appointment first, and then you have a buy history from the AD. No one else was in the area at all. This is a big chain.

McKnife, connieseamaster and cvalue13 like this.
  20. Davidt Aug 9, 2022

Haha it’s bad enough needing a buying history to buy a watch but now you need a history to step foot in the store?!