Forums Latest Members

Rolex Exhibition Watches at dealers?????

1. Evitzee Aug 9, 2022

Next will be these Rolex places requiring notarized proof that your FATHER actually owned a Rolex, no family history with the brand, no entry and NO ROLEX FOR YOU!

McKnife, marco, DoctorEvil and 2 others like this.
  2. blueteg Aug 10, 2022

Spicy take. The Rolex AD's are now stocking their shelves with fakes. ::confused2:: ::facepalm2::

3. vbrad26 Aug 10, 2022

Which one is this?

4. jb.44 Aug 10, 2022

Honestly do not have the money to buy either of those watches but I put my name on the list anyways, probably wouldn't get a call for years anyways if ever

5. jb.44 Aug 10, 2022

Yeah these were all operating, I was learning how to use the skydwellers movement which was very cool

flw likes this.
  6. jb.44 Aug 10, 2022

Yes these were real and operating, just not for sale

7. Dan S Aug 10, 2022

Funny, that was also my first impulse, but I certainly can't put my finger on it, and I don't feel like pulling up photos for comparisons.

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 10, 2022

They did change the dimensions of the Explorer a bit from the previous 114270 (rounder case IMO, 19mm bracelet instead of a 20mm) and perhaps the fonts are a little whiter/different.

9. Dan S Aug 10, 2022

Yeah, I had one of the first 214270 models (Mk 1), with the short hand and no lume on the numbers. I assume the watch in the photo is totally fine, it's probably just a little different than the one I owned, so my eye was unconsciously drawn to the differences, especially the printing.

10. Enzo Feb 3, 2023

All of the 'exhibition' watches at my Official Rolex retailer are actual fully functioning watches that will be sold to real customers at some point.

11. bonatto May 16, 2023

Bucherer Marienplatz had two no date subs on display. One outside and one inside. Salesman wasn’t willing to let me try one on and took some conversation to get one out of the case. He said all models were for exhibition only (you can look but you can’t touch).

A good friend has recently hit a major milestone. He’s never owned a nice watch and messaged me asking whether he should get a date or no date sub. When I told him what’s happening, he’s decided to either move to another brand or drop the idea altogether. It’s a shame as they are nice watches with a strong heritage, but has put off a potential life customer who never had the chance to get the first one.

12. rcs914 May 16, 2023

When I start my own watch brand, I'm going to name it Veblen.

13. cakey007 May 16, 2023

My local AD in Bordeaux had most models on display and were happy to get them out of the case to try but as far as being able to buy one, no chance- five plus years for a Sub, maybe. Explorer 2 was similar.
    The thing is that I have brought watches from them, a ring for the missus so its not that we are new customers as such but whether my details made it any further than the nearest bin I don't know.
    If I was to get a call about the Submariner date at some point then I would get it as I like it very much against the the Seadweller I have but I shan't be visiting regularly to hopefully kiss arse enough to be allowed one so the odds are I won't be getting a new one at least, maybe if they drop back down to retail money or close from a grey dealer I will try one.

14. spacemission May 18, 2023

Welcome to the rolex world :D

15. gbesq May 18, 2023

Good Lord. Objectively, could this be any more ridiculous especially for a mid-tier luxury factory produced product? I'm tempted to say "Get over yourself, Rolex." But it apparently works. Who am I to argue with the strategy . . .

McKnife and cristos71 like this.
  16. Evitzee May 18, 2023

Same thing in Switzerland today. Rolex AD had a small selection in the window (10 watches maybe, no professional models) with the small green Rolex sign saying they were for display only. Like it or not, and for whatever reasons, there are no Rolex watches available for the general public to buy. My wife wears a steel DJ with MOP dial that she's had since 2007, she commented that she better not have the watch stolen as she would never be able to replace it. It's crazy.

17. Thommas May 18, 2023

Who in their right mind would want to buy a brand new Rolex anyway?

18. Cenzo May 18, 2023

I went into a Rolex dealer last November. I wanted to get my son an Explorer for his graduate school graduation. Got my name on the list. Stopped by once a few month ago to let them know I was still interested. No call. and the graduation is tomorrow. I thought it would be a cool gift for that point in his life. I wasn't expecting the call in 7 months, but would have bought it if I got the call. I wish he wanted a Speedmaster or another Omega. But he likes the Explorer. They did have "not for sale" ones in the case both times I visited.

19. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 18, 2023

Apparently a few million people. From Morgan Stanley's 2022 market report:

The leader again is Rolex, with 30.9 percent market share. This, too, is up from the previous year by as much as 1.5 percentage points. Although about 94 percent of sales can be attributed to the Rolex brand, Tudor also beat the industry in 2022 with sales of about CHF 550 million and an increase over 2021 of 11 percent.

20. Thommas May 18, 2023

I meant that in my sarcasm voice. Point being that there are many other brands that will let you purchase their watches new without having to sing and dance and if you really want a Rolex, it’s not too difficult to find a perfectly nice used one, no matter if you’re into modern or vintage.