Forums Latest Members

On The Subject of New Rolex Releases.......

1. Barstoolman Apr 7, 2021

As someone wrote on TRF..."Rolex has transitioned from making watches you can't buy, to making watches you don't want to buy".

kkt, sgrenald, TJH and 7 others like this.
  2. gbesq Apr 7, 2021

Nothing wrong with the watches themselves as the quality is excellent. The designs just don’t appeal to me.

3. Barstoolman Apr 7, 2021

Of course they're excellent and I am a huge fan along with owning a number of pieces. Merely referring to the high expectations for new models and being let down with what was in fact released.

gnuyork and amiriqbal like this.
  4. cvalue13 Apr 7, 2021

Im not at all here to defend Rolex, but only to somewhat scope the issue’s margins:

Rolex’s near entire product line are “heritage” models, just like the Speedmaster is a heritage model to Omega - or the 911 is a heritage model to Porsche.

And just like with Omega’s recent “updates” to the Speedmaster, Rolex doesn’t mess deeply with its heritage models. It just that, unlike Omega, so much of Rolex’s product book are heritage models.

Analysts suggest that the core reasons Rolex is so financially healthy and dominate compared to other makers is that Rolex keeps a small book of products, they keep them consistent, and error toward making too few than too many.

So while we’re all out here saying “push the envelope, Rolex! Surprise me!” - I think Rolex is muttering under their breath “you fickle f*ckers look somewhere else for surprises.”

5. Barstoolman Apr 7, 2021

I'm pretty sure, the point of your response wa to stick in that last line, you know, the one about,"you fickle f*ckers".

Regardless, as someone pointed out, again on TRF, here are some of the su"rprises" over the last few years.

"The current CEO, Jean-Frederic Dufour playing with Rolex history with these constant changes to the product line. Dufour became CEO in 2014 and many unexpected changes after that"

WG Pepsi in 2014 (maybe work started prior to joining him)

- YM 40 and 37 in PM

SS Ceramic Daytona
    Correct 369 markers and hands and on Explorer 39
    Make AirKing with Milguass case and old Explorer 369 markers

- Sea-Dweller 43 and adding cyclops away from history (& discontinue SD4K just after 3 years - it could have co-existed)
    - Introduce SkyDweller in SS(two tone with gold bezel), again shocking.
    - Oysterflex on PM Daytonas with ceramic bezel

- SS GMT II Pepsi (Shocked everyone and whole dial swap from blue to meteorite on WG and all that nonsense)
    - Made on Jubilee to differentiate, so BLNR also gets changed to Jubilee
    - CHNR on Oyster

- Yacht Master 42 in WG with Oysterflex
    - SD43 in two-tone

- Submariner 41 size
    - Stop Hulk dial and make just green bezel different than regular Sub
    - Even WG Bluesy didn’t get blue dial but black dial and only (blue) bezel different than SS.
    - Kill perfect OP 39 and release it in 36 and 41 (and rainbow colors)
    - Sky-Dweller now on OP

- Kill perfect 39 Explorer and release in 36. (Next yr will be additional 41)
    - Two-tone Explorer 36 (this was never in history of Explorer)
    - Add back Oyster to Pepsi, Batman GMT Master II and give both options
    - Didn’t give makeover for Explorer II for 50th anniversary and it looked to get an update with 10 years old model.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Today, 01:36 AM

6. gbesq Apr 7, 2021

Why are you being so defensive? Nobody attacked your post and we’re all free to express our opinions here within the bounds of civil discourse. This is, obviously, the OMEGA forum. If you need to have unequivocal agreement to what you choose to post about Rolex, perhaps the Rolex Forum is a better venue for you.

7. cvalue13 Apr 7, 2021

that would be pretty paranoid thinking; I also earlier today was commenting that the most exciting thing about these releases was the availability of a jubilee bracelet (already existed) for the SS Sky Dweller

So, I count myself amongst those fickle f*ckers, but have here trying to some degree of self-reflection that the armchair thrill I seek in seeing Rolex push the envelope may have nothing to do with good business practices.

honestly, I must be dense, because I really didn’t follow the point of the rest of the pasted post from TRF. Are they trying to be sarcastic that there not updates, or instead argue there have been a lot of updates?

Either way, did the poster map that list of changes since Dufour over Rolex’s subsequent ascent to the by far dominant market share holder in the industry?

And since it seems to need to be stated: I’m not at all in awe of the brand with dominant market share or anything, or suggesting that the watches must be infallible if the company is doing well. If anything, I’m recognizing that as a company Rolex’s goals may not always align with my armchair preferences as a “collector” category buyer. If Rolex relied only on my kind, they’d be bankrupt.

morningtundra likes this.
  8. texasmade Apr 7, 2021

Seems like the odd years are duds when it comes to new releases while the even years normally gets something interesting. For me this is what I found the most interesting:

2014- WG pepsi
    2016- ceramic Daytona
    2018- CHNR
    2020- updated Sub and OP's with new colors.

I haven't really liked anything released during the odd years.

EauTerre and cvalue13 like this.
  9. 340pd Apr 7, 2021

Well said!

Sherbie likes this.
  10. guaranteed.rohu Apr 7, 2021

I agree that Rolex do a good job (unlike omega with a million LE speedys) of keeping their product line simple and straightforward.

I think their innovation, design thinking, value for money, etc., is really gradually going down the drain year on year though. Literally the only 'brave/bold' choice they've made is introducing new colourful dials on the OP range, in the past 4-5 years (as well as, to be fair, a bunch of cool dayonta/day-date options that are ridiculously expensive). All other recent updates, have been either miniscule and uninspiring, or just straight out bad (just IMO).

For that 5-10k range for watch collectors, I think they are absolutely poised to be overtaken by Grand Seiko or a few other brands over the next 5-10 years, as a watch enthusiasts option. Rolex as a brand seems to be putting all of their eggs into the 'status symbol' basket - and fair enough! Probably makes the most money for them.

Emotionally, I'm not sure exactly why, this year's Rolex releases (as well as recent years) just pushes me away from the brand even more tbh, as a modern/retail piece. Sure they make excellent quality time pieces, but no more so than many other watches that are half or a quarter of the price.

I can't see how many people here on this forum (as watch enthusiasts) would choose to take a two-tone 36mm explorer at $10.8k USD, when there are dozens of better options out there IMO for that price or cheaper!

11. guaranteed.rohu Apr 7, 2021

Respectfully, I do agree the quality is excellent, and this gets lauded very very often (Rolex's apparently mythical build quality).

I think it's all relative to price though, as it should be. And I don't think Rolex's quality, for its price point, is particularly good or spectacular. I think you could make a case that Rolex generally is probably the most expensive largely-machine-made watches on the market today (as opposed to hand made). Looking purely at a quality-vs-price measure, I think there's a very strong case that modern Rolex is very overpriced.

S.H. likes this.
  12. kip595 Apr 7, 2021

Even if most collectors shared the sentiment (which in all honesty, I doubt); I'd be surprised if actual watch collectors made up even ten percent of all the watches sold by them annually. For many people a Rolex is just one more expensive fashion statement, and for many it's a once-in-a-lifetime-always-kept treasure - my girlfriend, from a fairly well to do family, holds her 31mm steel and gold graduation DJ much dearer than other more expensive toys in her jewelry case.

Personally I like that the Explorer is back in 36...but hey, I also dislike the new 41mm Sub (and I'm throwin' a tomato at the next person who tells me it 'wears like the old 40!'... :cautious:)

My point of view is if you like one and can get it, buy it. If you can but don't like it, accentuate the positive - for that kind of dough you can probably get a GS and an Omega with maybe enough left for a milkshake or a Starbucks after...or popcorn. ::popcorn::

P.S. If you can't afford one, don't worry - if a guy like me can get there, you definitely can :thumbsup:

Since we're lacking eye candy so far, my most recent Omega (still here) and most recent Rollie (just gone)

IMG_5668.jpg IMG_1533.jpg

13. gnuyork Apr 7, 2021

And then BOOM and two tone Explorer. Absurdly surprising. And an abomination.

14. cvalue13 Apr 7, 2021

Agree, perhaps until then also taking into account the relative value retention. I don’t think there are many models of non-Rolex watches that increase 50% in value when walked out of the AD, can be worn a few years then sold still at ~MSRP?

This doesn’t resolve all sins, of course. And, it doesn’t matter at all if you’re 100% committed to never selling [non-Rolex watch]. But the overall value proposition might involve more than only the “quality vs [original] price measure” (as you put it)?

15. rootbeer7 Apr 8, 2021

Those that criticise their new models/updates on ‘fan forums’ totally miss the point. As can be seen by waiting lists, they are produced for those who buy them en masse, those that are prepared to join a waiting list. A few WIS don’t pay the bills.

16. lillatroll Apr 8, 2021

I don't even know why people bother even looking at releases from Rolex. What's the point of looking at them when the chances of buying them are slim to none?

17. texasmade Apr 8, 2021

It’s nice to dream.

Fred91, EauTerre and lillatroll like this.
  18. JohnRaz Apr 12, 2021

I laught so hard

19. gbesq Apr 12, 2021

HILARIOUS. I bet that they play this at the Swatch Group’s annual shareholder meeting. LOL.

rfcs and Archer like this.
  20. Tab Apr 12, 2021