Forums Latest Members

A year on the wrist with my Speedmaster (311.30.42.30.01.005)

1. Cenzo Sep 12, 2020

I’ve had my Speedmaster (311.30.42.30.01.005) for a year and wanted to write up why I bought it and what is has been like to wear it for a year. Reading through Omega Forums helped tremendously when I was looking to buy the watch, I hope my post can help someone who is considering buying one.

I am not a watch collector. Previously to the Omega I’ve had a handful of watches and none were over $300. Born in 1965, my earliest childhood memory was the moon landing. My parents had friends over to watch. I don’t remember anything about the actual landing. But I do remember asking my Dad if we could walk outside to look up at the moon and try to see the men up there. I distinctly remember walking out to the front yard and looking up at the moon with him. Not sure if that moment planted a seed, but I have always been fascinated with space travel and read many books about Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo.

What did plant a seed was a visit to the Museum of Science of Industry in Chicago when I was 10. They have the Apollo 8 command module there. Also on display were some personal artifacts of the crew, including Jim Lovell’s Speedmaster. I remember starring through the case and thinking “That’s one cool looking watch!”. Learning this was standard issues for my astronaut heros after reading books gave the watch even cooler status. I never actually saw someone wear one in person until about 25 years later. My brother’s neighbor. It brought back memories of seeing Lovell’s and again the feeling of “that’s one great looking watch”. The symmetry of the dials, the elegant simplicity, and the classic beauty. Seeing the watch again as an adult coupled with all I had read about the space program and knowing the story behind the watch made me have an even deeper appreciation of it. I never obsessed about the watch, but always knew that if I ever splurged on a watch, this would be the one.

I always felt a little guilty about spending that much money on a watch. But then my 25th wedding anniversary was approaching, and my wife asked what I wanted – I knew I wanted the watch. The one I gawked at in a museum display case as a 10 year old. But I didn’t know where to begin or how to buy one or which model to get. So I came to Omega forums to educate myself. I knew I wanted a Speedmaster, but the FOIS had come out, what about that one? Sapphire or Hesalite? Where do you buy one? I lurked on the forum for about a year before buying one. I visited the Boutique, a few AD, and even a jewelry store that had a used one.

Do not buy the watch before seeing one in person. I was a little surprised the dial is not jet black as it appears in many of the Omega website photos. But is more of a dark grey. I’ve always pictured the dial the same color as the tachymetre bezel. But it’s not quite as dark. Also compare the Hesalite to the Sapphire in person side by side. I liked the look of the Hesalite more, but was afraid of it scratching. Reading through the forums I learned that any scratches are easily buffed out with a cotton ball and Polywatch. I wanted a new watch that I could call me own, wear everyday, and scratch up myself - all with the 5 year warranty. I could not seem to get the AD or Boutique to budge much on the price besides eating the tax. This was during the 50th anniversary and not sure if that was driving up demand. In the end I purchased through a trusted seller on Omega Forums (Kringkily). Best advice I received on the forum was “Buy the seller and not the watch”. Kringkily was top notch. Couldn’t say enough good things about him. Buying from Kringkily was the best of both worlds. The 5 year warranty without paying retail. It was a little scary wiring cash to a total stranger. But once again, Omega Forums to the rescue. I contacted a few people I noticed who bought from him and they reassured me along with all his glowing well deserved reviews. Their DMs and feedback set me at ease. Money wired on Monday and watch arrived on Wednesday.

I’ve worn the watch every day since it arrived. I took it to the Boutique the day after I received, and they were very welcoming and sized it for me. I love that fact that it looks great on ANY bracelet or strap. I rarely wear it on the original bracelet. It’s fun to wind it every day. It runs btw +12 and +6 seconds a day depending on which position I leave it at night. I find the slowest position is 6 o’clock up.

After a year I can say I love it more than when I bought it. It took a few weeks to get over “I might scratch it” phobia. I’ve used polywatch a few times on it. Once when I put in a really deep scratch moving furniture into my son’s apartment. Got my wrist pinned up against a tight corner coming up stairs. I thought it would be too deep to come out, but 5 minutes with polywatch and it was gone to the naked eye. Does the Hesalite get marked up? Yes. But I never really notice it unless I hold the watch at a certain angle in direct sunlight. And if you do get a nasty scratch you can see, you can buff it out in a few minutes. If you are hesitant to get Hesalite because of scratching, I would say don’t be. It is not a factor. My advice would be to wear it and enjoy it and know you will get a few bumps and scratches on it that no one will know are there except for you.

The straps and bracelets can get addicting. I’ve tried some $20-$30 Natos that looked and felt good, but the holes seem to wear pretty quick. The Omega ones are not cheap, but they don’t really show any signs of wear after wearing them. They are a higher quality, but if they are worth the prices is a decision you have to make on your own. The watch looks great on anything you put it on. Leather, Nato, bracelet, rubber, Velcro. It wears well on everything. Uncle Seiko has some great ones.

beadsofrice.jpg

day_one.jpg

dive.jpg

Flat.jpg nato.jpg velcro.jpg

Omega forums really helped me to do my research and educate me about the watch. So thank you to everyone who posts here and shares their knowledge and experience. I don’t think I would have taken the plunge on the watch without learning what I did on these forums. Hoping to help someone who was in a similar position as me last year, and make them feel comfortable buying this great watch. After a full year there is not any buyer’s remorse. Rather its buyer’s rejoice! I am so glad I bought it. If you are thinking of buying one, hanging out on Omega forums will get you any info you need. And if you do decide to pick one up, I hope you enjoy your watch as much as I have.

michel7752, RamseyPR, Willi and 55 others like this.
  2. gbesq Sep 12, 2020

Glad that you’re enjoying it. It’s a classic that was the first Omega model owned by many of us on OF, myself included.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  3. jaguar11 Sep 12, 2020

A good read. Continue to enjoy and wear in good health!

4. Marsimaxam Sep 12, 2020

A great story about how you came to buy your Speedmaster. It is definitely versatile when it comes to straps. I too don't wear mine with the bracelet, but rather mostly leather NATO straps and the Omega Velcro strap... both very comfortable.
    I hope you enjoy your Speedmaster for years to come in good health. Thanks for sharing.

5. Eve Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for sharing your Speedy story! :thumbsup:

6. Risto Sep 13, 2020

Great story! Speedmaster is a strap monster - it loves pretty much all straps and bracelets. I have had Speedmaster Reduced, then 005, then FOIS, then 005 again, and finally now I have 145.022-69 straight writing. I've been considering selling it, but then again I know I'd buy it back again another day.
    Speedmaster will stay.
    At the moment I prefer wearing it on Uncleseiko flat link bracelet.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 14.32.33.png

NGO1, Pun, Cesare321 and 6 others like this.
  7. Cenzo Sep 13, 2020

Looks really nice! Funny, I've been wearing mine on an Uncle Seiko flat link too for the last month.

8. slwoodster Sep 14, 2020

Beautiful. Happy 25th year anniversary.... well 26th now right?

9. Cenzo Sep 16, 2020

26th Anniversary in October and still ticking :). Thanks.

10. bardamu Sep 17, 2020

Thanks for sharing this nice story. Happy 26th! :)

11. UCZ_15 Oct 28, 2020

Ah this is a beauty. Also wow, that thing is a strap monster! Congrats

12. Cenzo Oct 28, 2020

Newest addition :)

Racing.jpg

WhiteThorn and Pun like this.
  13. It's Hedley Oct 28, 2020

That is a sharp band. Where, if you don't mind my asking, did you get it?

14. Cenzo Oct 28, 2020

WatchGecko
    Dartford Genuine Leather Racing Watch Strap - Grey

15. It's Hedley Oct 28, 2020

Thank you, Cenzo!

16. HappyJack Nov 2, 2020

Good write-up. Thank you.

BTW - Can anyone tell me the difference between the previous mode 3570.50 and the current 311.30.42.30.01.005 - apart from the massive box that it now comes with?

17. AllHerMovements Nov 3, 2020

Great story, thanks for sharing. It is my first and favorite too.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 3, 2020

In 2014 when the changed there was 3 different things.

1) large box with a few goodies
    2) bracelet is now screws for removing links ( a bit thicker )
    3) $500

ckhaing and scapa like this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 3, 2020

Had one for nearly 7 years. Just sent for its first service. Never worried about polywatch, did give it a polish with toothpaste and a piece of t-shirt when it was newish. Worn it nearly everyday to work and never had a drama with it. Swimming every now and then and never had a issue with water. (Haven’t gone swimming for about 2 years)
    Just a comfortable watch to wear, easy to see the time at a glance. No issue winding every day. Even when I pick it up after a few days not wearing it only takes a few seconds to set the time. ( though I still do occasionally forget and look down to a stopped watch every few months. I blame beer and rum for this mostly )

Can dress it up or down with a strap. Think I have more straps and bracelets for my Speedmaster than the wife has shoes :cool:

Two things I will say to a newer buyer.
    Only use Omega spring bars.
    Don’t buy cheap straps, as I nearly lost it one day with a cheap $22 canvas strap.

4458359E-7101-483E-92A7-90D8AA65D939.jpeg F9DCC237-F675-4149-9A27-F6C502159A86.jpeg
    77D452CF-6A73-4216-A894-6AF624A46927.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16A2938C-1B43-40C1-B488-618EA5C75C3B.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Edited Nov 3, 2020
    MtnMarine, scapa, Pazzo and 3 others like this.
  20. Cenzo Nov 3, 2020

@STANDY The straps all look great. Can you tell the story of how you almost lost it with the $22 strap? Was it the strap or the springbars that failed?