Forums Latest Members

Opinions on the new Speedy bracelet versus the now (old) model

1. scott784 Mar 21, 2021

I have continued to look at the Speedy as my next watch purchase (don't currently own one), though not necessarily in a big rush to buy right away unless I go for the old model (before they all sell out). My dilemma is whether to pull the trigger and buy the 1861 before it sells out completely or wait a while longer to get the 3861. If I go with the new model, there is no rush since they just came out in January.

This weekend, I was finally able to (very briefly) see the 3861 in person at an AD. It looks great with the exception of my first impression of the bracelet "feeling" cheap (just like some opinions that I have read online) whereas I did not have that first (initial) impression of the bracelet on the 1861. To be fair, I had very little time to really make a good assessment and this was just an initial impression from someone that has never owned a Speedy.

Can someone that has both the 1861 and now the 3861 give your honest opinion(s) or insight about these two bracelets? I am just trying to wrap my head around the question of why this new bracelet feels "so" light weight? I don't expect it to be like a diver watch by any means, but it just seems like it should have a bit more "heft' to it? I also don't like the fact that the clasp only has "two" holes for making micro-adjustments and what appears to be a rather aggressive taper down to the clasp. That being said, I realize the 1861 has its limitations too with micro adjustments as these are vintage style watches.

I want to get behind the Speedy because I think (overall) it's a very cool watch. But I just don't know if the new 3861 is worth it when I have these concerns about the bracelet, particularly with the large increase in price, and knowing that I can still buy the 1861. Again, to be fair, I had very little time to assess the quality of the bracelet, but it just "felt" flimsy versus the bracelet on the 1861. Obviously, we know the "big deal" about the new version is the movement.

Thoughts from others (about the bracelets) that have owned both of these watches? Thanks.

Edited Mar 21, 2021
  2. pianomankd Mar 21, 2021

New version: Lighter, "looser", more comfortable
    Old version: Comfortable, tighter, clunkier

Oh, and here's a pic :)
    63793701816__241FA85B-76F1-453C-8345-F09B2630A17D.JPG

G4_Chrono likes this.
  3. nicolamilton Mar 21, 2021

Why lighter is worst or "cheaper looking"?
    I have just ordered new bracelet for my Snoopy. 680€. Agreed with the 2 holes micro adjustment is the weakest point because of how it looks when you use outermost hole.

Edited Mar 21, 2021
  4. TAT2 Mar 21, 2021

I have the 1861 movement bracelet and frankly i took it off the second i got home. The biggest issue for me was the chunky shackle like feel that did not taper. That and frankly i am not into bling. A solid brushed bracelet that tapered down to 16-17mm would be my answer. Basically make me a new and improved 1479.

The new 3861 bracelet is a step in the right direction. Its tapered. But i wish the clasp was not ribbed for someone’s pleasure(???) and had a superior micro adjustment like a glidelock mechanism internally..... maybe next time..... :(

T

5. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Mar 21, 2021

It seems that the micro adjustment holes are about half a link width so maybe that’s why only one? Both adjusting the micro adjustment and removing a link are both pretty cumbersome and not something one can do quickly in the course of the day.
    All bracelets could use a micro adjustment clasp..

sunny20874 and PhilF like this.
  6. gnuyork Mar 21, 2021

I own the 3861 and have only tried on the 1861... While I could "live" with the 1861 bracelet, the 3861 is soooo much nicer for my preference. I like the lighter weight and the extreme taper and the seamless clasp. I don't care about a micro adjustment, the way it's adjusted for my wrist is perfect. I can see how some might think it feels cheap, but to me it feels (and looks) more premium. I like light weight and tapers. I don't necessarily associate bulk and weight as premium quality.

If you don't like those features then just get the 1861. It's more substantial feeling if that's what you prefer.

stevec14, nicolamilton and Omeg@007 like this.
  7. nicolamilton Mar 21, 2021

The problem is how the clasp looks when you use the outermost hole.

8. gnuyork Mar 21, 2021

True dat. I'm very lucky I don't need that adjustment.

nicolamilton likes this.
  9. fc3861 Mar 21, 2021

I can't comment on the old version because my first Speedmaster was the 3861 and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It's light, comfortable and just has an awesome vintage look to it. Also, the accuracy of the coaxial movement is impressive. I kept track of mine for the first couple of weeks and after about 5 or 6 days, it might be 5 seconds fast. Just pull out the crown and count to five and it's right back on the money.

I'm not the kind of person that needs a boat anchor on my wrist to know that I have a quality timepiece either. In fact, the next watch I'm looking at is a Planet Ocean in titanium just because of the weight savings.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the new Speedmaster. I was able to get a perfect fit by just removing one link but your mileage may vary of course. As far as missing the micro adjust, well the older version did not have that either.

Good luck!

FC

10. drhombus24 Mar 21, 2021

I tend to agree that the new bracelet isn’t my cup of tea. IMO it’s looks a bit dated already. I know that’s kinda the point, but still... The taper is the biggest improvement to me. That’s why I wear a 1498 bracelet that tapers to a very manageable 16mm while still feeling as solid as the 1998
    image.jpg

11. stevec14 Mar 21, 2021

Heft does not equal strength or quality. You get these things posted about Rolex 6 digit vs 5 digit bracelets when actually, they are as strong as each other.

I guess the tapering is personal preference, but it’s one reason why I didn’t like the 1861 as much. The good news is there’s plenty of both available.

12. fc3861 Mar 21, 2021

I'm just curious, about the tapered bracelet. Is it the weight savings that people prefer these? I retired my old Seamaster with its hefty untapered bracelet which I loved and I'm now wearing my new 3861 Speedmaster which has the tapered bracelet and I like that too. I'm not sure that I prefer one over the other except the Speedmaster bracelet is much lighter.

13. stevec14 Mar 21, 2021

I actually prefer the look of a tapered bracelet, but yes the slightly less weighty bracelet is also, for me, a benefit.

All personal opinion however.

14. scott784 Mar 21, 2021

Actually, the pictures of the new bracelet look great, although a bit more of a taper than I'd prefer but still okay. It was just the "feel" of the bracelet for me which gave the perception of it being flimsy on the wrist. Not saying that it is inferior quality, this was just an initial perception from someone who has never owned any version of the Speedy. Perhaps, I am so used to diver watches that it seemed like an extreme difference. I dunno about that.

At any rate, I do think it's a very cool watch. And either way, I see myself getting the 1861 or 3861. But the two hole micro adjust on the clasp could definitely be improved. Vintage or not, I don't understand why Omega stuck with that on a clasp. Afterall, the new movement is certainly not vintage, nor is the sapphire version of the watch. Oh well, no watch is going to seem perfect to everyone. But it's good to get perspectives from others here on the forum.

15. pianomankd Mar 21, 2021

You could always put 3861 on a strap too!

IMG_1536.JPG

jjen, fizz, SteveHH and 5 others like this.
  16. chris_33 Mar 22, 2021

Is it the Aqua Terra 41mm strap ?
    I was wondering if it could fit in the 3861 case too ! So you confirm ?
    Do you have the ref number and the price of this strap ?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2021

Frankly the 1498 bracelet that preceded it with taper is actually even better than the 1998 bracelet. The new one looks and feels excellent, such a good fit for the watch.

18. pianomankd Mar 22, 2021

yes it’s the 41mm strap from the latest generation Aqua Terra. Fits wonderfully.

richiv, scott784 and chris_33 like this.
  19. gbesq Mar 22, 2021

I haven’t tried the 3861 bracelet, but I’m definitely not a fan of the 1861 bracelet - too heavy, no taper, too blingy. For my money, the 1479/812 that came with reference 3590.50 from the late 80s to the mid 90s is one of the best. Sturdy, but not too heavy, fully brushed, great taper and a traditional Omega fold over clasp.

MTROIS and machamp6650 like this.
  20. Hands90 Mar 22, 2021