Omega brand awarness as a luxury brand

I'm with you, Tex, if I wore a Rolex on one wrist and a Richard Mille or PP on the other, they'd steal the Rolex.
This reminds me a true story of a house burglar get caught in a city in Indonesia. Out of 5 watches that he took he keep only 2 and throw the other 3 because all watches are not working, and only Rolexes that worth the money he had to spent for service before selling them.
The watches are not working because the hands are not moving. The other 3 he threw were Patek and APs::facepalm1::

The only watch of mine that anyone ever commented on was my Heuer Carrera 3647T - I was waiting in the subway, standing in a corner between staircases, listening to music on my phone. An MTA worker coming up the stairs motioned at me, so I stepped aside thinking he wanted me to move (I was slightly blocking the stairs). He stood there, said something and motioned again, so thinking I was in trouble I pulled my earphones out - and he said, "Nice watch!" and smiled and walked off up the stairs.
Both of my other Heuers however (an original 2447N Carrera and an 1163 Siffert) have gone unnoticed by even people in the watch industry 😀

No one has commented on any of my watches, but I get some funny looks from people when I am staring at their wrists. It doesn't help that I have long hair, big beard and 20mm holes in my ears. The biggest problem is trying to get close enough to see what someone is wearing.
While on holiday in Hungary there was an American gentleman wearing what seemed to be an omega 320 from the late 50s. I was trying to get a closer look and he noticed me, he then nudged his wife and they both speeded up to get away from me.
That was you!!

I often look for watch wearers. Very rare to see another wearing an Omega (unless the bond). And about half have no clue what they are wearing. The other half are happy to spend a few minutes talking watches. Unfortunately this only occurs a few times a year.

Several times a year I get a "nice watch". One time I was at a restaurant and the bus boy said, it that an Omega? I said yes, he then said when I own one, I know I will have made it. In any case, he has no idea it was an Ed White. Of course I did not bring this up.

I like Omega for many reasons, mostly because it tends to fly under the radar. With that said, I am not sure if all the marketing, movies/bond, boutiques, etc are making the brand more recognizable, or if I am just more aware because I started collecting Omega a few years back.

I discovered Omega because I was looking to buy a "luxury" watch and I very quickly concluded that I was not going to be able to afford a "luxury" watch given my budget. I then narrowed my choice to a 3572.50 and a Tag Carrera. Very fortunate my eBay offer for the Tag was declined. 😀

After buying the speedy, I discovered all the other watches Omega offered. So now I have a wide range of Omega watches, some from the 60s, 70s, divers, speedys, modern, etc. The wide range of choices to fill my wide ranging needs simply never ends...and that is why I love this brand.

There are very few watches out there that can be recognized from more than 5 feet away - maybe a Rolex GMT / Sub (though could be an "homage"), any Panerai, a TAG / Heuer Monaco etc. During the summer here in New York, I wear my shirt-sleeves rolled up with my watch for all to see - and so far, no problems. I'm a bit self-conscious about it if the subway is crowded and I'm holding the pole with my watch right in front of someone's face, but that's very very rare, and only bothers me with the more extroverted, modern LE Speedmasters I own. I'm not worried about my vintage pieces being recognized by the wrong types...

That said, I've been planning a purchase of a Dark Side for some time now, but worry about how noticeable it is on the wrist 😀
Do people worry about how noticeable a watch is on the wrist before buying?
I just bought a fairly flashy Omega black dial/bezel. It's quite notable, is it something that you put into consideration when you buy a piece?

I am in the process of getting my first ever Omega watch. I am eyeing on the FOIS (Model 311.32.40.30.01.001) since my wrist is kinda small, so the 39" case diameter will work better than the traditional Speedy.

Do you guys have any additional thoughts or ideas want to share with me?

Do people worry about how noticeable a watch is on the wrist before buying?
I just bought a fairly flashy Omega black dial/bezel. It's quite notable, is it something that you put into consideration when you buy a piece?

I'm guessing some do, some don't, on both sides of the equation - some people want to be noticed, some don't! For me, I'd rather not have other people noticing the watch I'm wearing. It's not a fear of crime though; I just prefer a more quiet style.

22 year old "average" lad here.

I think it's hit and miss as to who recognizes the watch you're wearing.

One of my professors wears a Speedy - he was working with the overhead projector, projecting it onto the screen on the board. One of the students puts his hands up, gets picked by the professor, and asks, "Sir, is your watch broken? How come the second hand is stuck at 12?". The prof explained to him (and the class) the concept of a chronograph watch, and the history of the watch itself - everyone was blown away.

I think most of my friends and acquaintances could identify a Sub, a Daytona, and an Explorer II, as well as watches features in bond movies - the 300m, 300, Planet Ocean, and Aqua Terra. Breitlings.....I'd recon they'd recognize the Navitimer and the infamous 'Bentley for Breitling' fakes. However, I think most of them don't quite grasp the differences between an quartz/automatic/mechanical watch.

For myself, I recognize most Rolex watches, and I usually always comment on them - and the owners are mostly always happy to chat about them.
I recognize most modern-ish Omegas (not vintage as I have no interest in those [sorry guys/gals]), but their owners somehow seem to shy away from conversation about their timepieces as if they want to keep them a secret.

Besides that, I recognize watches here and there to a limited extent. Especially if it's a watch that's either rare or with a steep price tag.
I think they recognise Rolex as a Rolex not the models (exception being the sub) and perhaps Omega as the bond watch and maybe some will notice the Breitling.

My Speedy definitely seems to fly under the radar. And anyone who has noticed/ asked about my Sinn UX had never heard of Sinn. I've been a lot more watch-conscious the past 6 months, and on the rare occasion when I see someone actually wearing a watch it is usually a Seiko or a Citizen.

The only time I've seen another speedy in the wild was at a motorcycle shop. The cashier had one on and I did the usual "Nice speedy! What reference is it?" and he kind of got all smart ass on me and said "there is only one model". I looked a bit closer and it was an auto speedy, so I'm assuming it was a gift to him since he didn't know much about it.

I'm guessing some do, some don't, on both sides of the equation - some people want to be noticed, some don't! For me, I'd rather not have other people noticing the watch I'm wearing. It's not a fear of crime though; I just prefer a more quiet style.
Sure but the whole brand perception of Rolex for example is not based on looks at all. The sub is leaner, smaller and less bling than a PO, the explorer is much simpler and low key than an AT.... It's just the crown that makes some people shiver, and that's not based on the watch but on the brand perception.

That is why I had to just shake it off. If you care about people then go ahead, but if you want a smaller size, simple and bespoke sports mid level watch then am explorer or a no date sub beat pretty much anything.

If you want Bling Invicta!

But don't blame the watches for our hang ups!

Sure but the whole brand perception of Rolex for example is not based on looks at all. The sub is leaner, smaller and less bling than a PO, the explorer is much simpler and low key than an AT.... It's just the crown that makes some people shiver, and that's not based on the watch but on the brand perception.

That is why I had to just shake it off. If you care about people then go ahead, but if you want a smaller size, simple and bespoke sports mid level watch then am explorer or a no date sub beat pretty much anything.

If you want Bling Invicta!

But don't blame the watches for our hang ups!

Yes, I worded that wrong. Bright watches don't appeal to me anyway, but perhaps I do have some hangups about wearing watches that one might say are extroverted 😀 Nothing against those who prefer Rolex or modern Seamasters! I'll bet they're very enjoyable watches and I would never judge a fellow watch nerd for wearing them.

It is much like cars. Most people think Mercedes is the top. Car nuts know you can go way beyond Mercedes. You just rarely see those other cars in the wild unless you live in a really large city.

To me the best analogy is Rolex is Mercedes and Omega is say Audi. People make fewer assumptions about the Audi or Omega owner.

As far as being noticed. Unless I'm with other professionals who have to wear suits, my watches are never noticed or at least not asked about, with one exception there is a guy about 20 years old who is a cashier at my local supermarket who almost always comments on my watches.

Among my fellow members of the bar, guys who work on contingent fee seem to want a Rolex as soon as possible. It sends the message to clients that they win. The tall building lawyers (i.e. large firm) Rolex is entry level, senior partners might stick with Rolex but sometimes go with really high dollar stuff. Smaller firms and solos you see anything from no watch, to cheap (know a guy who wears Timex exclusively because he has several clients who work at the Timex factory) to Omegas, Bulova, Seiko, Tag, Breitling they want a notch above without the Rolex "stigma" from their middle class and small business clients.

I'm friends with the athletic director at Arkansas State. He wears a Nike watch and I tease him and tell him it's time to a grownup and get a watch with hands. A friend who rarely wears a tie was spotted in one and got some grief for looking like he came from filming Mad Men he laughed and said it was his father's tie. Told him he ought to lose the Fitbit and get a good watch. He said he didn't think he could afford a really nice one. Let him try on my vintage Seamaster and he was stunned when I told him I had bought it for $350 he was thinking he would need to spend several thousand. I happened to have my Elgin in my bag and the idea he could get a professional looking vintage watch for about the price of a Wal-Mart special impressed him. Saw him last Friday and he said he was reading up on Bulova and Hamilton after skimming eBay.

Yes, I worded that wrong. Bright watches don't appeal to me anyway, but perhaps I do have some hangups about wearing watches that one might say are extroverted 😀 Nothing against those who prefer Rolex or modern Seamasters! I'll bet they're very enjoyable watches and I would never judge a fellow watch nerd for wearing them.
I own an Invicta and wear it frequently. There are great calmer looking watches that don't draw attention. I love the old Constellations but would never consider the modern ones that look like a bracelet with a watch stuck in them. Just doesn't fit my taste. Most of the Speedmasters put off a work vibe to me and don't come off as flashy and the new steel Globemaster balances dress and sport so well that I think you could wear one and few would notice it.

My preferred jewelry store carries some really nice Seikos they are making some that are "gaudy" but plenty others fly under radar

For starters - WEAR YOUR WATCHES! Don't hide em under clothing! People fought wars wearing these things, they can easily take daily wear. Each mark the watch encounters is character, and can be polished out at next service if it bothers you so much. Enjoy your hard-earned pieces to the fullest! There's no point owning a Porsche if it doesn't leave the driveway!

Secondly, I was worried about buying a white dial Milgauss. Orange accents plus PCLs? Yeah, it's really not a big deal. I've had it 4 months, had about 2 or 3 folks notice it. Really not as flashy as I feared. People don't notice watches anymore. An iWatch is probably far more dangerous to wear than any Rolex.

I work in a garage in the U.K. and wear a po or a smp. The lads often ask me why I wear such an expensive watch for work and my reply is "I'm always at work, what's the point of having a watch in a drawer. They both get noticed often by customers and the most annoying comments are "nice watch is that a Rolex". Arrrrggg and no I don't give the James Bond reply ha ha

Nope. Not in Singapore. Omega is "just" a reliable watch that is recognised to the general public (non-WIS)

For starters - WEAR YOUR WATCHES! Don't hide em under clothing! People fought wars wearing these things, they can easily take daily wear. Each mark the watch encounters is character, and can be polished out at next service if it bothers you so much. Enjoy your hard-earned pieces to the fullest! There's no point owning a Porsche if it doesn't leave the driveway!

First, then you will tell me it is over polished. Second, I wear it two or three hours in the evening and still enjoy it under the fleece and at the desk there is a cloth on the desk so the buckle stays mint. Third, three months and look at this clasp.... Forth, before anything is said the dial is not a redial, it has never been polished, no relume, the movement dial foot has not been broken and all movement parts are original. It was purchased from the boutique, original box, papers and receipt.
Edited: