No idea what this is 1941 Not Pink Dial 38mm (4734?)

IMG_8537.jpeg This is not my area of interest and so hoping someone knows what this is. Better in the ugly watch thread? Looks like it was a mirror dial when new. Too big for a bauhaus style case
IMG_8539.jpeg
IMG_8535.jpeg
IMG_8542.jpeg
Edited:

Like 6
No idea, but dibs :). Serial number dates it to 1941. Gorgeous watch, certainly not a candidate for the ugly watch thread IMO.

Like 5
@Seiji, why do you say “too big for Bauhaus”? It is the type of case often found with a Bauhaus style dial indeed, this dial is more ornate than Bauhaus, but at least consistent.
the case is called “barrel” shaped case by the Italian collectors. Other than that, well it is quite unusual but I guess the proof is in the pudding. Looks to me like an original 23M watch in a jumbo case.

Like 6
Is there a reference for these? So I assume 38mm is not so often seen? I see lots of 35mm or the 32mm. When someone showed me this 38mm, I thought that's not a watch I remember seeing before. However, I was looking for 12.68z so maybe why I have not any experience with the cassa barraletta. He wasn't asking much for it and I have a weakness for rose gold and similar dials. Although this is more brown than pink

Looks more like a pizza to me than a barrel
Edited:

Like 1
@Seiji, why do you say “too big for Bauhaus”? It is the type of case often found with a Bauhaus style dial indeed, this dial is more ornate than Bauhaus, but at least consistent.
the case is called “barrel” shaped case by the Italian collectors. Other than that, well it is quite unusual but I guess the proof is in the pudding. Looks to me like an original 23M watch in a jumbo case.
Why do the Italian collectors call this a "barrel" shaped cade?

When I think of a barrel case, something like this Hamilton comes to mind. Photo taken from unwindintime.
Hamilton-Barrel-Engraved-White-Gold-Filled-Watch_3.jpg

Like 2
“Barrel” because of the shape when you look from the side. @Vitezi also noted in a separate thread that they are also called “cylinder” case.

Is there a reference for these? So I assume 38mm is not so often seen? I see lots of 35mm or the 32mm. When someone showed me this 38mm, I thought that's not a watch I remember seeing before. However, I was looking for 12.68z so maybe why I have not any experience with the cassa barraletta. He wasn't asking much for it and I have a weakness for rose gold and similar dials. Although this is more brown than pink

Looks more like a pizza to me than a barrel

Lots of “barriletto” cases have 12.68 in them- I have a 32mm with 12..68 and a 35mm with 27M (pictures below). Also I have now remembered, OF member @watchknut had a similar reference - 38mm with 23M movement, 64xxxxx serial number - so an approximate manufacture date of 1942.
You’ll find it in the thread below, with a classic OF Longines subforum discussion of the “olden days” on Bauhaus and Art deco definitions.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/38mm-calatrava-squirrel-bait-style-longines-23m-arrived.58692/
Edited:

Like 5
Here is my 35mm vs 38mm from a friend, same case design
Edited:

Like 6
Seems like the forum has a few of these barrels. Has anyone asked an archivist what is the reference for a 38mm 23M watch :) ?

Interesting looking dial, and the patina is not so bad as well.
Many similar examples can be found online.

https://bulangandsons.com/products/longines-bauhaus-oversize-salmon-dial-calatrava-1940s-w745

example in the above link has a questionable dial (maybe discussion for another thread?), but has 37.5mm size

reference 4638 according to longines archives

although the movement is 12.68z and thus holder ring is shaped differently.. I think the style of case and size of case match.

batch number 22097, movement 6'356'033

W-745_Longines_Salmon_Jumbo_Dresswatch_004.jpg

Like 2
I think I found a likely answer...ref 4734.
IMG_8553.jpeg IMG_8552.jpeg

Like 1
Anyone think my dial&movement and case don't match?
I am on the fence, my roman numbers and overall art deco look seems to match the theme of the watch. But, this is definitely not a dial typically seen in one of these watches. I don't see where else it could have come from. I am not sure if it isn't a mutt. It was an impulse buy, I didn't know what it was in order to do a check before bringing it home.

It does look a bit like Zapata's black dial.
Edited:

Anyone think my dial&movement and case don't match?
I am on the fence, my roman numbers and overall art deco look seems to match the theme of the watch. But, this is definitely not a dial typically seen in one of these watches. I don't see where else it could have come from. I am not sure if it isn't a mutt. It was an impulse buy, I didn't know what it was in order to do a check before bringing it home.

It does look a bit like Zapata's black dial.

@Seiji, you’re thinking too much- 38mm watches were not an average size in those days to begin with, where in the world would anyone find a loose original 38mm dial that fits a 23M movement which was mostly used in smaller watches.

Your watch seems entirely original to me, and the dial is nice because it is a cross between those streamlined roman dials and other types.

Below is my 35mm in the same type of case- the dial shows better on this picture.

Also and by contrast, a Bauhaus style dial in a more ornate type of case.
By coincidence @DirtyDozen12 has the exact same watch.
Edited:

Like 6
@Seiji, you’re thinking too much- 38mm watches were not an average size in those days to begin with, where in the world would anyone find a loose original 38mm dial that fits a 23M movement which was mostly used in smaller watches.

Your watch seems entirely original to me, and the dial is nice because it is a cross between those streamlined roman dials and other types.

Below is my 35mm in the same type of case- the dial shows better on this picture.

Also and by contrast, a Bauhaus style dial in a more ornate type of case.
By coincidence @DirtyDozen12 has the exact same watch.

Those are very nice examples. I like both with a little more interest in the two tone dial. The first case is really speaks strongly to it's period of design.

Like 1
Maybe it isn't pink after all. Is it gold?

IMG_8556.jpeg IMG_8557.jpeg
Edited:

Like 3
Another dial variation (Note insane Hodinkee price even if the watch is in exceptional condition.)

IMG_8559.png
IMG_8560.jpeg
Edited:

Like 1
Joining the discussion late-ish.... I have a similar Longines, which the archives say is a ref 4734, cal 23M, serial 6.4m (and in fact less than 5 numbers away from @watchknut 's 4734 sold previously on OF! Like his, mine was also invoiced on 23 Dec 1942, to the company Ostersetzer.

Longines 4734.jpg

The 37.5mm size plus thin bezel makes it wear a bit larger on the wrist, like a 38mm.
ec2754c5-6664-4b80-a404-874e10102069-jpg.994750
Edited:

Like 8