Forums Latest Members

Help - Longines "Coin Edge"

1. Claudio Lorenzon May 23, 2020

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

Can anybody tell me about this Longines? Closest thing I have found to it appears to be a Longines - Cal.12.68 "Coin Edge" Case Steel 40's. Is it right?

The watch appears to be in fairly good condition, but it's not running right now.

Please let me know your thoughts on potential value, in ordert to understand if it's worth to fix it.

Thank you in advance
    Claudio

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 17.16.49.png
    Jensonslog likes this.
  2. BlueHands May 23, 2020

Hi and welcome, the watch is from the early 40s, dial, hands, crown look OK. The value grows with the case size, so you can
    have a 32 mm for several 100 €, 35 mm goes up to 1000 € +, quite scarce are 37,5 mm cases, when you can catch them, then
    for much more.

divetime, Dan S and Claudio Lorenzon like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 23, 2020

And the term « coin edge » is improper. It’s a cylinder case.

Whether it’s worth fixing also depends on how much you like it, how much your watchmaker will charge, and also the condition of the movement, the case back, the sides— which you have not shown.

If you’re in the US the repair and service might cost as much as the value of the watch if it’s a 32mm.
    If you’re in Europe, chances are you can have it repaired much more cheaply- although watchmakers fees are much higher in big cities.

4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 23, 2020

Firstly, I realize that the case I am about to show is completely different than the one shown above. The case below is often, and annoyingly, referred to as "Calatrava-style". The design does resemble the Patek Philippe ref. 96 but the association usually seems financially motivated more than anything else.

Secondly, I am not in a position to defend the array of nicknames, provided to collectors by the Italians. I am simply posting this catalog excerpt as it may be the root of the "coin-edge" or "coin-shaped" nomenclature that is so prevalent today.

moneta.JPG
    source: https://www.vintagelongines.com/#history

Claudio Lorenzon and Syrte like this.
  5. Dan S May 23, 2020

Personally, I would not call the OP watch a coin edge. That term would never cross my mind for that particular case, which is neither wide nor reeded/knurled.

Anyway, that has little to do with value. If the OP provides more information and photos, perhaps someone will hazard a guess about value. One would want to know the movement and the size of the case. Obviously, the damage to the dial is going to hold the value back. However, if the watch has sentimental value, then none of these things matter.

Edited May 23, 2020
    Claudio Lorenzon likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 24, 2020

Beautiful picture. The root of the « coin edge » word is a poor translation of the italian « cassa a moneta ». However that means « coin-case » in Italian and refers to a flat bezel watch with smooth edges.

« coin edge » in English rightly refers to a case with a knurled bezel, like the one below.

7994D521-2676-46F0-A9AC-9F09C899AB4F.jpeg
    Mark020, Tony C., Vitezi and 4 others like this.
  7. NT931 May 24, 2020

I have something similar dating from 1942, ref 4734, with a similar cylinder case, and those similarly angular lugs, sized at 37.5mm, with a calibre 23M inside. Hope this helps!

EC2754C5-6664-4B80-A404-874E10102069.jpg

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 24, 2020

cassius66 likes this.
  9. Claudio Lorenzon May 25, 2020

Hi everyone, thank you for your tips and good suggestions.

Based on your knowledge, I found out that the case size is 35mm - cal 12/68.

Please find attached a photo of the movement and the back - could be interesting to be fixed?

Thank you in advance
    Claudio

DSCN0191.JPG DSCN0190.JPG
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 25, 2020

Most everything can be fixed.
    The question is always at what cost and for what purpose.
    If you love the watch then yes it is could be worth it.
    If you have another purpose... again it’s up to you but we don’t recommend buying watches you do not love.
    Good luck and best regards

X350 XJR likes this.
  11. BlueHands May 25, 2020

I see a clean and a high quality movement that is always worth to be fixed, also a 35 mm case in good shape and a very well patinied dial. If you like this package, then take it and love it. Bring it to a good watchmaker and he will oil and tune the movement. A good tuned 12.68 movement runs as well as every modern movement you can find nowadays. That's my experience with the 12.68 movement.
    By the way, serial number dates the watch to 1941.

Edited May 25, 2020
  12. Claudio Lorenzon May 25, 2020

thank you so much for your lovely and accurate explanation - I'm thinking about it, I really love this timepiece and his simple elegance. Just a quick last question - how much could worth a piece like that, once fixed? Sorry about asking an estimation - but unfortunately I have to consider also that...

13. Dan S May 25, 2020

If finances are a major concern, then you should not invest in repairs and service, because it's unlikely that you will get that amount back in an increased sales price. Since the watch is not running, it's hard to estimate the repair cost. It could require only a full service, but it might also need some replacement parts, which could easily take the cost of repairs over the value of the watch.

Claudio Lorenzon and Syrte like this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 25, 2020

There was a nice but quite patinated 35mm Longines which sold for about 350 euros last fall on Ebay. That’s what I would use as a benchmark.

15. BlueHands May 26, 2020

OK, movement doesn' t work, I didn't recognize that so. So look around, you'll surely find another Longines in good working order. Hard to say how much are the repair costs without quotation of a watchmaker. I'm with @Dan S that repair costs could be significant.