Forums Latest Members

38mm Calatrava (Squirrel Bait) Style Longines 23M Arrived

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 1, 2017

After a couple of weeks of not finding anything, I have my first vintage Longines incoming that should arrive Saturday.

38mm stainless case looks to be in decent shape, and dial/hands appear original, although dial has some wear. 23M (thanks for the tip) movement looks like it is really clean, but I have no idea of how it runs.

Overall, a pretty cool looking piece, and cannot wait to clean it up an get some proper photos. Been wanting a watch like this for awhile...
    20170601_001215.png 20170601_001306.png 20170601_001628.jpg 20170601_001651.jpg 20170601_001717.jpg 20170601_001237.png

Edited Jun 1, 2017
  2. ConElPueblo Jun 1, 2017

Well, at least you didn't call it "Art Deco" :p

Congrats on a great looking Longines! I can well understand you're thrilled :thumbsup:

TropicConnie, Mr.Cairo and watchknut like this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 1, 2017

That's huge. Do you have a shot of the case-back? Movement is a 23M. The crown has been replaced. The damaged regulator and broken case screw are sort of odd.

watchknut likes this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 1, 2017

I don't. I found the exact case and similar serial number on a watch that Matthew Bain sold. I thought the crown may be off, and your eyes are much better than mine when looking at the movement...no clue what is going on.

5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 1, 2017

Hodinkee later sold that one. It is indeed similar.

watchknut likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 1, 2017

Ouch...someone took a bath on it!

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2017

I'd rather it be called Art Deco than a Calatrava...:confused:

Edit: I did see the OP said "Calatrava...style", so I am feeling less queasy now.

Jwit and Syrte like this.
  8. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 1, 2017

Congrats on joining the "Calatrava....style" Longines group!

Looking forward to seeing it after being cleaned up and on your wrist :>

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  9. NT931 Jun 2, 2017

Congrats! I've been looking for something like that for some time, so I know how hard it is to find one. Yours looks like a lovely example, LOVE those blued hands :thumbsup:

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 2, 2017

Although it would be a perfectly correct thing to call it. It is 100% art deco!
    Congrats on the find!

11. Kbjohn Jun 2, 2017

You beat me to this one! Congrats! I hope the dial is a little better in day light

12. ConElPueblo Jun 2, 2017

Objection!

Surely it is Bauhaus-influenced?

Fritz, rcs914, Seiji and 1 other person like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 2, 2017

Bauhaus style is a part of the art deco trend IMHO.
    It was born in the same era-- the 1920s-- and implemented in the same era-- the 1930s mostly; all of the characteristics of art deco, streamlined geometric lines, stepped ornamental motifs-- just it's a little less busy than other examples of art deco.
    The word "art deco" comes from the 1925 "decorative arts" exhibition, I'll be damned if Bauhaus were not part of it. But even if they weren't they definitely the same inspiration.

bardamu, propervinyl, Fritz and 3 others like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Jun 2, 2017

I think I'll continue to divide the two. Bauhaus is way less ornate and has much more emphasis on functionalism than what I'd normally associate with art deco. The Longines above could be a part of the Nomos line-up of today and I don't see anyone calling that art deco. It even has the same type of lugs, angular and functional, while the case is perfectly round. If forced to, I'd rather call the overall design ethos "modernist" and have both art deco and Bauhaus be under that umbrella :)

Related: These type of watches is what continues to keep me from getting a Nomos or similarly designed watches - there are still objects with the original design out there, complete with the weight of 70+ years of history. You just can't beat that!

Waltesefalcon, bardamu, tmw57 and 5 others like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 2, 2017

I don't think I was saying anything different than you on what distinguishes Bauhaus, I just think you're being too narrow on art deco.
    AFAIK it wasn't a school with an explicit code like Bauhaus, it was an overall trend.

Why no one **in the watch world** calls Nomos art deco I would say is 1/ because many people have no independent knowledge or interest in the decorative arts and 2/ is because there is marketing at play, Bauhaus is a convenient (German) marketing label to support a distinctive line of products Swatch Group attributed to their German brand Glashutte. However this design was incredibly widespread beyond Glashutte or Nomos in the old days.

PS in any event I think we agree they share some similar traits, and so to go back to the OP's watch I would not find it shocking to call it "art deco", for lack of a "modernist" label in use in the watch world....
    Apologies @watchknut for the thread drift!

Edited Jun 2, 2017
    Waltesefalcon, bardamu and watchknut like this.
  16. NT931 Jun 2, 2017

While the Bauhaus and Art Deco debate goes on... @watchknut I'm calling Dibs on this one! ;)

[​IMG]

Garv, ConElPueblo and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 2, 2017

@Syrte and @ConElPueblo thanks for the history lesson! This is exactly why I love OF...i just learned more about Art Deco and Bauhaus than I knew before.

@NT931 dibs is noted...I know how to get the watch to you :)

bardamu, Syrte and NT931 like this.
  18. NT931 Jun 2, 2017

watchknut likes this.
  19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 2, 2017

The DQ is my main way of selling now...incredible how important it is!

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 2, 2017

I'm afraid I can't help but step in and continue the thread drift @Syrte
    @conpueblo is correct
    The Bauhaus school - which was one of the main players in the the modernist movement - followed the tenet of 'form follows function' and 'less is more' and was intended to be bereft of all superfluous decoration.
    Contrary to Art Deco which by its very name espouses decorative arts.

However if I'm not mistaken Le Corbusier did display at the 1925 exposition - his 'machine for living'

This is where the two styles do collide as they were both born of the 'new' streamlined Machine age - a response to the hand made arts and crafts movement and art nouveau organic style