Forums Latest Members

New speedy already magnetized?!?

1. Speedy17 Apr 26, 2021

Hey friends - so I have a brand new Speedy sapphire sandwich 1863. I have had it for 1 week and it seems to be picking up time. ~30 secs a day or so. I put it by a compass the needle moved so I think it might be magnetized?

I've heard this can happen but is it really that easy? i forget it on my kitchen table overnight and it was sitting 3-4 inches from a latop. I also have been wearing every day while working on laptops. But that is it.

Question - should I get a demagnetizer and try that? Does that impact the warranty? Should I just go back to where I bought it or connect directly with Omega for servicing?

Please help! Thanks all!

2. SkunkPrince Apr 26, 2021

You can buy your own but any watchmaker can do it for you as well, and likely for free. Yes, it can be that easy. Quite a few laptops have a hard drive right under the left palm rest.

3. Speedy17 Apr 26, 2021

Thanks - i assume that doing it myself shouldn't impact a warranty? If it can be that easy it probably makes sense to get one for myself for when it happens again...

4. SkunkPrince Apr 26, 2021

Yes, you're not opening the watch nor damaging it.

I like the loop kind, personally. Those you have to put the watch inside, push the button, and slowly draw the watch out until it's a yard/meter outside the loop.

But the reason I suggested the watchmaker... you don't have a timing machine, I expect, and sometimes it takes more than one zap to do it. So maybe have the watchmaker try it first and if it doesn't change anything, then you're looking at warranty repair.

5. RazorFrazer Apr 26, 2021

This is exactly the reason why I like the Solid caseback model better on these 1861. added protection ! Mines never been magnetized and i work around 345kV transformers.

JosephxSxN and s2000_driver like this.
  6. Duckie Apr 26, 2021

Interesting to know:thumbsup:

7. Duckie Apr 26, 2021

I totally agree:thumbsup:
    I'm usually a complete do it yourself type of person but I would be inclined to leave it up to those who are trained in this area with all the gear and expertise to get a conclusive result.
    Besides, i believe it's always good to support your local professionals if one can;)

8. Marsimaxam Apr 26, 2021

There is a free app which you can download onto your phone that will check if your watch has been magnetized, it is called Lepsi and is very easy to use.

Give it a try and if the app detects magnetism then by all means follow the advice above.

PhilF likes this.
  9. Speedy17 Apr 26, 2021

Great - thanks for this!