Forums Latest Members

I Sold My 2021 3861 Speedy Hesalite Already!

1. Spikedlee Jan 14, 2021

Long story short, I picked up a new 3861 Speedy from the Omega Boutique last weekend and already had it listed for sale 4 days later. I'd like to share my rationale for doing this with you all to help you with your decision on whether or not to pick one up.

As someone who already had purchased a brand new 1861 005 hesalite in November, I was already still just getting that new watch worn in before the opportunity to buy the 3861 was brought to me. Having already owned 6 Speedy's prior to the 3861, I was very familiar with the fit of the watch on my wrist and what worked well for me and what did not. For me, when purchasing a watch, there are a few important factors I think about as part of my decision making process:

1.) Aesthetics - do I like the way the watch looks
    2.) Fitment/Comfort - how well does the watch fit on my 6.75" wrist and how comfortable does it feel?
    3.) Accuracy - as a higher dollar purchase, I am expecting a certain threshold of accuracy based on that price(Seiko vs. Rolex)
    4.) Brand Equity - where the brand ranks in the market and the price point associated with that rank

I have been flipping watches for well over a decade now because there was always a deviation up or down on the above 4 factors. As my income grew over the years, so did my budget for high end timepieces. I will tell you guys now that I already own the Rolex 116500LN white Daytona and 126710BLRO GMT-Master Pepsi. These two pieces definitely hit a top score in all 4 areas above.

[​IMG]

Now, if I apply those factors to the 3861, here were my thoughts:

1.) Aesthetics - Loved the improved stepped dial look, and the new bracelet. However, I did not like the clasp as much or the fact that there is a notched taper on the last link due to the consistent width of the clasp and the bracelet links:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is only an issue if your perfect fit means putting the watch on the last micro adjustment.

2.) Fitment/Comfort - I definitely had an issue getting a perfect fit with the 3861 due to the lack of additional micro adjustments. Had Omega provided 3 drilled holes, it would have been better. The other issue I had is the rounded bracelet links. Because the inner portion of the bracelet shares the same bumpy rounded shape as the outer, at times it would pinch my skin. What you will notice with other bracelets is that they will flatten the inner portion of the bracelet in order to allow it to wrap around the wrist seamlessly.

[​IMG]

Now lets compare this to my Rolex President so you can understand what I mean as far as the flat inner and rounded outer shape of the links:

[​IMG]

This is something Omega should have done with this bracelet. I hate to say it, but I think one of the reasons why the engineers at Omega opted not to do this is because they would have been criticized for trying to copy the Rolex day-date bracelet. The other problem I had is the taper was a bit too aggressive. With a 15mm clasp taper and a 42mm watch head, there was enough of an imbalance with the watch being either too loose or too tight that the head would shift when it was loose and almost pinch my wrist with those rounded links. A more balanced watch to bracelet ratio would have prevented this.

3.) Accuracy - So my 1861 has been very consistent around +5 seconds per day. The 3861 appears to average from +3-4 seconds a day. Still good, but with the METAS certification I was expecting a little better than what I had. And to me, the hacking feature of the movement really was less of a selling feature due to the fact that the accuracy wasn't a bit more precise. Again, I know not all of you are accuracy junkies, but I am. The upgrade to me wasn't netting me the type of accuracy I get from my Rolexes which is about +1 a day consistently. The other issue is with a hand wind movement, there is so much variability that can still occur with the accuracy such as when you wind the watch, how you rest it, etc. Bottom line is, the METAS certification seemed more like marketing to me but the performance results weren't anything mind blowing.

4.) Brand Equity - So I paid shy of $7K for the 3861 and $4300 for my 1861 both brand new. Both watches I think are still within the value I would associate with the brand. If Omega was asking $9-10K for this watch, I'd be more in pre-owned Rolex territory so I did not have an issue with the price. However, if I am comparing $4300 to $7K, paying over 50% more than my 1861 for similar accuracy, less comfort, and moderate aesthetic upgrades, it just didn't make as much sense for me to keep the 3861.

It didn't take long for me to sell the 3861 and I did take a bath on the price I paid because I don't believe in price gouging, but overall I am happy I had the opportunity to try the watch, and also to share my review of it with all of you. I want to use my learning experience to help all of you as much as possible. The 3861 is still a beautiful watch and I think still worth Omega's asking price. However, I think you guys who own a 1861 should wait until market prices simmer as stock becomes more readily available. I already confirmed the new bracelet fits on the 1861 in another one of my threads so if you really love the bracelet that much, you can pick it up down the line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 14, 2021
  2. alefar Jan 14, 2021

Wow that was fast! I also bought the 1861 hesalite this past october and i also do think I won't be 'upgrading' to the new 3861. I'm surprised that you find the new bracelet less comfortable than the previous, even though I haven't tried it, I'd assume it hugs the wrist better than the current one.

PS I know it's not a common opinion but i really like the previous bracelet too:thumbsup:

watchfisher likes this.
  3. bruin20 Jan 14, 2021

I have the same issue as you with rounded links. A bracelet should be flat on the bottom to create maximum surface area to stick to your wrist. Which bracelet is that on the 1861 hesalite?

4. Spikedlee Jan 14, 2021

Agreed! This is the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary bracelet with Uncle Seiko end links. Comfort is 2X better with this bracelet versus the 3861. At least for me it is.

5. bmilnes Jan 14, 2021

A different question is will the old bracelet fit the new watch?

alefar likes this.
  6. Spikedlee Jan 14, 2021

I confirmed the Apollo 11 will not fit. No idea on the stock 005 bracelet but my guess is no since the lug holes sit higher on the new case.

bmilnes likes this.
  7. nicolamilton Jan 14, 2021

Thank you very much. That's real useful information you are providing us with your threads.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 14, 2021

Thank you, Great perspective and write up.

9. GadgetGuy88 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new 3861. I like that this is a forum where folks share their points of view, and in general it's a fairly friendly place with moderators who don't tolerate the sort of stuff seen on the other forums most of us also frequent.

I've owned the sapphire 3861 for one week. I'm not planning on selling it. Let me share why that's the case in light of your comments.

1. I seldom flip watches and usually have an emotional connection to each purchase. Sure, I've sold a white Mark XV and an Ingenieur due to both requiring warranty service and a lack of responsiveness from Richemont. I also unloaded a WG Saxonia after 7y, deciding that having it and a similar dress watch were more than I wanted to own. There's also that used Sinn 856 that I had for like a month. The only flipping regret? Selling my first ST1.

2. It's exciting to have the first fundamentally new Moonwatch since the 861s started production. It was thrilling seeing the early news late last year, and then hoping for a big splash on the first SpeedyTuesday of the month, which actually happened! Coupling that with my awesome SA at the local OB reaching out and learning I could get one of the first watches in the US is a lot of fun, too. -Don't think I've ever done that before, getting a watch at its launch!

3. This watch comes at a very historically significant moment and will forever be tied to going through the heaviness of the COVID-19 pandemic and then the recent disastrous political events of last week. In other words, it's something that is full of optimism and hope, compared to what we've all been suffering through lately.

4. It was of some risk to get the watch, as the case rates are still crappy and there's the more virulent strain out there. Never have I been in such a hurry to get out of the OB! That's something I'll remember, too, having to brave COVID-19 to pick up a time piece. Needing to be given black rubber gloves so I could touch a Snoopy they had (not for sale!?).

5. I am happy with the METAS rating, the stepped dial, display back (esp. the font), bracelet size, pushers, style, and fit. So, I'm fortunate that it works for me. I'll probably put it on the Omega velcro strap at some point. I currently wear my 1861 hesalite more though as it's been beaten up a lot and I worry less about bashing it as a clumsy left-handed boomer.

6. I'm very happy with Omega as a brand and Moonwatches as a watch. I connect closely to that history. I've no love for Rolex these days, in spite of having a 16710 that has been in my possession since I bought it in 1997. Their current sales model doesn't work for me at many levels, which is now where we are with PP and AP, too.

So, yeah, most of this reply is not about the watch directly, but I am really happy with the watch. Really!

Thanks again for sharing!

robinhook, Cesare321, PhilF and 19 others like this.
  10. Marsimaxam Jan 14, 2021

Too bad there is no trial period, but a very precise and detailed write up.

I can't say I ever flipped a watch in four days, but, I do know collectors who bought special limited editions and sold them immediately, happened frequently with Audemars Piguet and Panerai back in the day. I remember some guys getting a watch for 20k and turning around and selling it for near 40K...

11. Evitzee Jan 14, 2021

I'm surprised the OP had to take a 'bath' on the price, obviously you are going to lose some money but I wouldn't think it would be huge at this point on a pretty hot watch.

12. arkman Jan 14, 2021

Appreciate both the OP's and Jakemeister1000's thoughtful write ups.

13. scapa Jan 14, 2021

Very interesting and detailed countervailing view.

With respect to the bolded in #5, I'm interested to know why you feel that your left-handedness (and not merely clumsiness or boomer-ness) might result in a higher likelihood of damaging your watch? As a fellow lefty who wears watches on the right hand (with pride) I don't feel like handedness has much to do with dings, scratches or even full-on breakages. Having to reach round a watch to set it, and not having a crown dig into the top of my hand, sure. Just wondering.

14. GadgetGuy88 Jan 14, 2021

I grew up wearing my watch on my left wrist. So I am more likely to scratch it when I write (desk diver), open doors, etc. And I try to be careful, but still! It feels very odd to wear a watch on my right wrist.

I think there is a wider distribution with left handedness such that you get clumsy folks like me and talented folks like Paul McCartney. Or it’s just me?

-unrelated to all of that, I’m glad that Omega doesn’t do what Leica has done with their LE lenses. They announce a world wide limit of 500. Then it becomes 2 runs of 500. Buyer beware!

Edited Jan 14, 2021
  15. Barstoolman Jan 14, 2021

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I just picked up (today) a new 1861 from my AD for $4200......a good deal for sure!!! He will be receiving his first shipment of 3861s by the end of the month and I had intended on getting one as well (with a small discount), After reading your comments, I'll wait a year or so to obtain one with a much heftier discount as these will be in production for years as Omega's standard Moonwatch........no need to rush!!

split-time and Pazzo like this.
  16. SkunkPrince Jan 14, 2021

Regarding the rate... ever heard of the phrase "adjusted for wear"? If the rate is a solid +3 every day and consistent... that can be adjusted.

Mind you I used to be a jerk about this too... until I realized, I set it 15 or 30 seconds behind, let it run, and readjust however much in the future... or switch watches.

apsm100, OllieOnTheRocks and Pun like this.
  17. hmss007 Jan 14, 2021

Thank you for the write up as this is very helpful. I was considering a 3861 sometime this year as I really love the changes to the dial as it ticks all my boxes - stepped dial, applied logo (sapphire), dot over 90, etc. However, I was also concerned with the steep taper of the new bracelet. I have a 7.5" wrist and I find my Seamaster Pro bracelet very comfortable and I like that it doesn't taper. Looks like I'm going to wait for a while as I really like to have a bracelet for my OB/AD purchase and then change it up later.

Cheers

18. pw92676 Jan 14, 2021

Your incoming and outgoing posts were very detailed and informative. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

19. SuperHero Jan 14, 2021

Well that was quick but also very detailed. Thanks.
    Clearly you know what does and doesn't work for you and sharing your thoughts on a watch that just showed up is appreciated. Helpful!

20. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 14, 2021

When I saw the title of the post I must admit that I rolled my eyes, but when I read it I was impressed that you took the time to write this detailed assessment and rationale for your decision. I think many readers will find this a very useful post. Kudos to you @Spikedlee

EauTerre, Soulcreek and Pun like this.