Forums Latest Members
  1. chickenman26 Aug 17, 2017

Yeah, I know - It can't happen. But it did. This is a Globemaster purchased from an OB 20 days ago, so it's past the exchange period. It's been running -0.5 spd on the wrist 24/7 and +1spd on the winder. The -0.5 spd is slightly out of spec for this watch and nowhere near the on-line test results, but I decided it wasn't worth complaining about. That may turn out to be a dumb move.

Just for giggles, I passed it over a compass yesterday and was astonished to see the needle swing about 30 degrees when the dial or left case edge got within 1/2 inch of the compass. A cheap Chinese demagnetizer fixed that quickly, and I placed the watch back on the winder. It then gained 3 seconds in 24 hours, very close to what the on-line test results for the watch show. I guess I'm wondering what is it inside that watch that could have gotten magnetized, and how could a cheap demag affect that on a watch supposedly immune to 15,000 gauss? Any thoughts besides take it back to the boutique for warranty repair? I've already thought of that. ::facepalm1::

Edited Aug 17, 2017
  2. sevenhelmet Aug 17, 2017

While the balance and some of the other parts are made of non-magnetic materials, some of the other parts can be magnetized. I could see minor magnetic interactions between parts such as the main spring or the gear train possibly causing the kind of error you describe, whereas a traditional magnetized watch will be off by MINUTES per day (usually fast, not slow) because the balance spring itself takes on magnetic properties and throws regulation out of whack. However, METAS specs allow for up to 5 seconds deviation after the watch is passed through a 15,000 gauss field, so your 4 sec/day seems like a realistic number.

This is an interesting one though. I'd take it to a boutique, tell them what happened, and see what they say. I have to wonder how it could have been magnetized in the first place, aside from during METAS testing...

FWIW, my Planet Ocean consistently matches the METAS timing results to within 0.5 sec/day, and is by far the most consistent mechanical watch I own at a very steady +3.5 to 4 sec/day.

Edited Aug 17, 2017
    Kmart, Riviera Paradise and micampe like this.
  3. chickenman26 Aug 17, 2017

Thanks. Those were exactly my thoughts. The deviation from test results isn't what bothers me so much, because
    as you say, it's well within COSC. It's the fact that that weak little demagnetizer was able to affect the daily rate that has me scratching my head. After all, the virtual complete resistance to magnetism-induced variance was a major factor in the purchase decision. The METAS results were 0.2 spd variance after exposure to 15000 gauss, which appears to be wishful thinking. I think I'll wear it for a week and see what it does.

Edited Aug 17, 2017
  4. chickenman26 Aug 17, 2017

Update - after looking again at the on-line test results and the allowable deviation due to 15000 gauss, this might be a case of unjustified expectations on my part. Should have read the fine print. It's allowed up to a 5 spd deviance due to 15000 gauss exposure. I doubt the cheesy demagnetizer generates anywhere near that. Still, it's pretty clear these watches aren't as immune to magnetism as the manufacturer would like us to believe, regardless of published test results.

test.JPG

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 17, 2017

??? Not sure what you mean. It's all well-defined.

Foo2rama and Riviera Paradise like this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Aug 17, 2017

METAS certified watches are still significantly more resistant to magnetic fields than any other mechanical watch available today. I think it would be perfectly normal to observe some deviation after exposure to magnetic fields.

5s/d deviation is peanuts compared with the +20 seconds luxury watches typically gain after being magnetized.

7. w.finkenstaedt Aug 18, 2017

And usually it's more like +10 s/hour.

Also, keep in mind that these watches are still made out of steel, which last time I checked contained iron, this can be magnetized. It's completely nonsensical to then use a compass or a magnet to determine if the movement is magnetized, as the case surely will be.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. sevenhelmet Aug 18, 2017

I think the this thread stemmed more from the fact that @chickenman26 's watch changed rate slightly after being passed over a demagnetizer, rather than the fact that it moved a compass needle.

9. chickenman26 Aug 18, 2017

Thank you.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 18, 2017

Watch is magnetized still within COSC spec and your complaining?

Also to note it's that the watch can be exposed to x gauss field and not go out of spec. That's different from the watch itself being magnetized.

w.finkenstaedt and Archer like this.
  11. chickenman26 Aug 18, 2017

No. NOT complaining, merely posting an observation and asking questions. The watch runs perfectly. Thanks all.

12. sevenhelmet Aug 19, 2017

I actually thought this thread would spark more curiosity than criticism... or maybe a technical expert would weigh in with some details.

Surprised at the reaction.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2017

It's clear (as you pointed out) that a METAS watch can be magnetized, since not all of the parts are made of magnetic resistant materials. There isn't much else to say technically. I think Omega's marketing has set-up an expectation that these watches can't be magnetized, but the reality is often different than the marketing.

The difference is that the watch doesn't run really fast when the parts that can be magnetized, are magnetized.

As for how it gets magnetized, the parts that can be magnetized are no different from the parts in a regular watch. All it takes is a "typical" magnetic field to magnetize those parts - it doesn't take 15,000+ Gauss to do it - that is the assumption here that doesn't meet the reality.

Cheers, Al

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 19, 2017

It's just that At the end of the day it's not a huge thing. The push towards high anti mag is mostly marketing driven. Before you purchased your watch had you ever heard of magnets and watches? The bulk of most people's collections are vintage pieces with little to no anti mag tech, and we have zero issues with them.

15. Riviera Paradise Aug 19, 2017

No big reaction, perhaps just slight misunderstanding on the tone of @chickenman26 's comment above? "Pretty clear"...."aren't as immune to magnetism as the manufacturer would like us to believe", perhaps was a bit OTT for an opening statement / declaration;)?

The good thing with Metas certified watch is you can do a party tick sticking a magnet directly on the case and show that the watch carries on running:D...and challenge any Rolex owner not wearing a Milgauss to do the same thing.:rolleyes:

I agree Metas is more marketing than anything hugely significant in terms of horology, but it does help Omega position itself against Rolex/Breitling/IWC for the general public. Omega have been making watch calibres on par with Rolex even before Metas came along...but nothing like a nice techy marketing name and a nice certificate on the wall to make the message stick.

The marketing push seems to be working even with Hodinkee. During the last two Friday Live sessions Ben and Jack were both singing Omega's praises:eek:...that they don't get enough recognition, undervalued as a brand, should be seen as on the same level as Rolex...

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2017

FIFY

Owlsu and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  17. sevenhelmet Aug 19, 2017

I agree about the METAS bit. It's marketing, but it's technical marketing and, in my opinion, a solid answer to Rolex's longtime "Superlative Chronometer" designation.

That, and it's really nice to have a diver that's not a(nother) submariner clone. ;)

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 19, 2017

Actually.. traditionally all superlative chronometer meant was it was COSC certified, the same designation as anyone else that put Chronometer on a watch. Once Omega moved past COSC to METAS, then Rolex responded with their own higher certification level.

The only real difference now is Rolex is -2/+2 while METAS is 0/+5 . While Rolex looks more accurate from a marketing stand point,they both have the same deviation level when you look at it. Omega skews it to never run slow, which as any watch owner that is obsessed over perfect time knows you never want the watch to run slow, fast is greatly preferable due to ease of correction.

chickenman26 and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  19. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Aug 19, 2017

The thing that make the METAS certification a bit suspect is the idea that they test every watch for magnetic resistance. Why? If they are composed of the same parts, there's no way one might not "pass" unless there is a mistake in parts quality, which should be tested prior to assembly anyway. Omega said before this whole 15,000 gauss stuff that the number one warranty claim they had to deal with was watches being magnetized. I think this is BS, unless they was real something overly susceptible about their movements. I've been wearing a mechanical watch for 40 years, around all kinds of big machines with huge electric motors and the usual assortment of computers, electronics and even hybrid vehicles. I've never had a watch magnetized. I've never known anyone who had a watch magnetized, at least that I knew about. But like the co-axial movement has shown to be not superior any any way to the traditional Swiss escapement in real world use, Omega's resistance to magnetism is more marketing than substance.

20. w.finkenstaedt Aug 20, 2017

It's not a simple pass/fail. There's deviation before and after exposure and the rate of timekeeping while exposed. Those are all measured.

Ps, I've had multiple watches magnetized in the past year. USPS did one, the metal rollers before the X-ray machine at the airport did another when it was in my bag. I've had watches magnetized before that as well. You're probably just lucky or didn't realize your watch was magnetized.