Forums Latest Members
  1. andyals Sep 9, 2021

I've had my Speedmaster for 15 years now and worn it regularly.
    It should be serviced because over the last few years its started running slower and at the moment sits around - 15 seconds per 24 hours.
    So who do you trust unreservedly with your most treasured watch.
    Back to Omega or are there good trustworthy independents you can recommend.
    Is it likely to damage the movement if not serviced.
    Your thoughts appreciated

owl. likes this.
  2. philips Sep 9, 2021

It has served you well for 15 years and you have not spent any money on service. I think it's time to get it serviced. Not just for the movement, but the gaskets, which get old and less effective in keeping your watch water resistant, say you get caught in a strong downpour. If you can afford it, I would send it to an authorized Omega service center and get the full treatment. All worn parts will be replaced, since it's been 15 years. If money is a factor, you could get a competent local watchmaker to clean and lubricate the movement. You can still wear the watch and live with the poorer timekeeping. This may put further wear and tear on a movement that has not been serviced in 15 years. If you finally decide to get a service, keep in mind you may be paying more for worn parts that now need replacing.

3. Evitzee Sep 9, 2021

You have to have someone service it that has an Omega parts account for there will be some parts that will need to be replaced. It's not that old of a watch that you have to worry about Omega messing it up mechanically. The big issue is if you want the case bracelet touched up or left. It's a crapshoot with Omega Service, but someone like Nesbit's in Seattle can do the work and if you want the case left alone they will honor that.

Waltesefalcon and wagudc like this.
  4. TimeODanaos Sep 9, 2021

Let us know roughly where you are in the world, and likely someone in, say, your state/country/timezone will soon come along with a trusty local recommendation for you, parts account and all. :thumbsup:

fc3861 likes this.
  5. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2021

I have two recommendations and one not-recommendation. Omega's Miami service center have rarely sent me a watch back that didn't need rework.

If you're in the US, Nesbit's in Seattle and @GMOG in New Mexico.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. Buster Sep 9, 2021

When my AT made it to five years I took it to the OB at Northpark Mall in Dallas and it was sent out for an Omega service. When I picked the AT up they gave me a little baggie with the used parts. I have been very satisfied with the service provided. The only downside was they had my watch several weeks and the service was expensive. I’ll take the watch back there for the ten year service. I don’t know of any local watchmakers

7. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2021

Compared to what? Not giving you crap, but did you have any expectation what servicing a mechanical watch costs before you had your first?

Larry S likes this.
  8. Buster Sep 9, 2021

Yes I did have an expectation of what the cost for servicing would be and when I picked it up. I was not shocked. In my opinion it was expensive. Why jump to false conclusions with a hostile tone?

HootOwl likes this.
  9. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2021

The hostile tone is within you, not me. It was an honest question, did you have expectations? I suspect some don't and they're wondering what the heck?

Like me and my new exhaust system on my Camry... :eek:

3rdstringholder likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 10, 2021

For a watch like this, it should just be the standard set service pricing, so there should be no surprises. I would have expected them to tell you the price up front, and if they didn't it is available on Omega's web site.

PATRICK JP likes this.
  11. chich Sep 10, 2021

I'd take it straight to Omega, as they will replace any worn parts (after 15 years there probably will be a few). Most normal services just clean, lube and adjust the watch without actually replacing anything worn (access to parts is an issue, but also probably why the cost is lower too).

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 10, 2021

If worn parts aren't being replaced, then it's not a proper service...

13. notchrishansen Sep 10, 2021

Like others have mentioned, I had no luck with Omega (Swatch's Service Centers)... Despite all the warnings on various forums, I still sent the watch in and in the end the watch made 3 trips (3+weeks each).

14. andyals Sep 15, 2021

Years ago I worked as a mechanic in a Honda motorcycle dealership which had a good reputation.
    The cheating and corner cutting I witnessed was breathtaking.
    The day I left was when a guy bought in his VFR800 Vtech for a valve clearance service.
    That's a huge job even without replacing shims and that element of the service alone costs over a grand.
    The workshop manager started it up, listened to it for a couple of minutes and declared it was fine and didn't need doing, but the customer was still charged for the work.
    I walked out that day.
    The thing is its such an easy fraud to get away with.
    It's not as if the customer is going to do a top end strip to make sure the works been done.
    Same goes for watches I guess.
    My experience has made me hugely distrusting of all mechanics.

Turpinr, unxsr, PATRICK JP and 2 others like this.
  15. TimeODanaos Sep 15, 2021

You did the right thing at the mb shop. But pro watchmakers nowadays will respond well to being asked (nicely) for photos taken during the strip down and re-build, and it makes really nice background for any owner who is into their watches. For many of us, freely available movement shots have transformed the hobby.

avidmark likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2022

17. TimeODanaos Feb 21, 2022

::facepalm2:: To anyone who may have thought I was a bit naive in welcoming the new member - sorry, I was wrong and you were right.

apsm100 and Foo2rama like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2022

Happy 1,001 posts! (I checked your history to confirm) Humility tends to happen around 1,000 posts ;) 1001.JPG

TimeODanaos likes this.
  19. Dan S Feb 21, 2022

@TimeODanaos made a very intentional 1,000th post in the pet thread. :thumbsup:

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. TimeODanaos Feb 21, 2022

Thanks Foo, thanks Dan, it's a good feeling! :D

Foo2rama likes this.