Forums Latest Members

questions about servicing, and some auto basics

1. Kara Feb 26, 2018

Hi all,

I have an aqua terra (purchased new '07) and a professional sea-master (purchased new '10), both auto, and both using the co-axial movement. I also have the omega digital. I enjoy them very much, but I'm not very clever when it comes to using them. To begin with, I think I need a watch winder (to fit two watches). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, the professional is very, very stubborn to start compared to the aqua terra - I think it needs a service. I live in Denver, Colorado. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding where I can take it?

Finally, can someone please be so kind as to explain the basics regarding use? For instance, when, and how many times, do I wind? Also, should the watches always be on the winder when not in use? Finally, are there any blaring do's and don'ts that I should know regarding the use of my watches (digital included).

I appreciate any assistance.

Kara

2. dan7800 Feb 26, 2018

I don't know much about service (others will recommend folks on the forum)

As far as winding, there are a lot of threads about that (Read the comments from Archer who is amazing)

3. AnotherDon Feb 26, 2018

I have no idea where to take a watch for service in Denver.

But, I don't think you need a watch winder for those two pieces. I admit that I have two watch winders, but I have three automatic triple date moonphase watches that are a royal PIA to reset. For my time and date watches, I simply let them run down between outings. Takes a minute or two to reset them, but there's no sense in them running 24/7. I don't let my car idle in the garage between trips.

Besides, if you take those watches for service one at a time, you won't need the winder, because you'll only have one mechanical watch to deal with. You do reallize that even though those two watches are automatic, you can manually wind them with a few turns of the crown.

But, if you decide that you really need a winder, I recommend Orbita.

:)

4. Kara Feb 26, 2018

thanks for that. i read somewhere that keeping the watch running is important, because not doing so will harden the lubricants. i don't recall where i read this, however it's possible that the source came from a watch winding retailer just interested in a sale. i would be interested to know, however, weather continual operation is important, if anyone out there would care to comment. thanks again.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2018

No need to keep the watch running when not in use.

Cheers, Al

6. Kara Feb 27, 2018

Thank you. I sent you another message a moment ago. I appreciate your help. Kara

7. ctpete Feb 27, 2018

Kara, welcome to the Forum.

Regarding service, I have always had good results by having Omega do the service. In Denver, Hyde Park Jewelers operates an Omega Boutique. I am sure then can have your watch serviced. Here's a ink to their contact info: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/store/storedetails/6302

There are many independent watchmakers who can service Omegas, but I have never used one.

8. larryganz The cable guy Feb 27, 2018

Hyde Park Jeweler's is a good place to start. They have a watchmaker there to fix watches, and when I've had an Omega warranty issue they send my watches to Omega Service Center in Culver City CA (where they do a good job). I assume maybe Hyde Park can do a full service on an Omega on site if it's not under warranty, but I've never had the chance to use their service.

9. MaiLollo Feb 28, 2018

Al, I've been told that when you have a watch serviced, it's best if you wear it / let it run for a week or two in order not to have the oils set into place and harden.
    Would you say that it's unnecessary ?

10. Canuck Feb 28, 2018

The minuscule amount of lubricant that is placed at points of friction in the jewelled bearings in a watch will only remain liquid, and in place for a finite period, regardless of what you might do. Run the watch, or leave it static. Whoever told you to “let it run for a week,or two in order not to have the oils set into place and harden” has no idea of the lasting tendencies of modern lubricants used in watches. But as a general rule, with the watch running or static, lubricants should survive for about five years. Whether a watch should be serviced every five years or more often, depends a lot on how the watch is worn. More frequent servicing may be necessary.

MaiLollo likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2018

It's nonsense pure and simple.

12. MaiLollo Feb 28, 2018

Thank you for your detailed answer. It seems that there are as many opinions as there are watchmakers, and since we're not all watchmakers and these objects are fragile, somtimes we wonder.

13. Canuck Feb 28, 2018

I very much doubt that it was an experienced professional watchmaker that told you that bit about “wearing it or letting it run for a week to not have the oil set into place or harden”. Either that, or whoever you heard it from, misunderstood something they were told by a watchmaker. There’s a lot of myth floating around as propounded by people who mistakenly think they understand watches.

Archer and ChrisN like this.
  14. Kara Feb 28, 2018

Thank you, appreciated.

15. Lee CL Mar 1, 2018

I was told by the Omega CSO that even I wear my watches daily it is best to wind it 1 or 2 times a week.

Is that true?

16. Canuck Mar 1, 2018

Find out why someone at Omega feels that way. I have NO idea why that practice would be beneficial.