Forums Latest Members
  1. Yehoshua Apr 9, 2022

Hi. I go by a calendar that is mainly lunar. I need to advance the date every 28 days by one or two dates.
    Would this mean meaningfull wear and tear on the somewhat finicky 8900 jumping hour wheel @Archer ? Advisable not to do this?

Edited Apr 9, 2022
    hen likes this.
  2. chrisb732 Apr 9, 2022

Interested to see responses, following...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2022

If that’s the way you are going to use it, I guess it doesn’t really matter.

But to me this much use every month isn’t going to be likely to impact the life of the hour wheel.

Cheers, Al

Undertaker2, chrisb732 and Yehoshua like this.
  4. hen Apr 10, 2022

Why do you do that? Arent you out of sync whit everyone elses calendar? Is it a menstrual thing, you are trying to get pregnant?

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 10, 2022

Really none of our business.
    There's a few reasons for adhering to a lunar calendar and the technical question was answered, so be it.

6. hen Apr 10, 2022

True, but maybe the OP decides to share anyway.

Yehoshua likes this.
  7. Yehoshua Apr 10, 2022

No. I am a Jew. We use our ancient calendar which is a lunar one but balanced by the sun (so that the holidays fall consistently in the same seasons). Living in Israel, I relate to the calendar daily and not just for holidays. I am used to jump dating my watches but was always hesitant about the 8900. (Especially leery after having had date wheel problems even when not having made the frequent date adjustments In fact it's being serviced its second time).

Edited Apr 10, 2022
  8. Yehoshua Apr 10, 2022

Thank you.

9. jets Apr 10, 2022

Very interesting. It didn’t occur to me that anyone would use that complication in a different manner than the obvious one. I wonder what other things people may make use of in different ways

Yehoshua likes this.
  10. hen Apr 10, 2022

How interesting! Are there special watches made for this?

Yehoshua likes this.
  11. Yehoshua Apr 10, 2022

Only digital novelties. The Jewish months have only 29 or 30 days. There is sometimes an added month to keep the year 365 days (Unlike the solely lunar Muslim calendar which has 354 days). So frequent manual adjustments on an analog watch are necessary. But still, I can pretty much as easily run the watch the way you all do and add or subtract the difference (which varies each time either month changes, that would be twice in 30 or 31 days) and get to the Hebrew date.
    All the best!

12. Jensop Apr 10, 2022

thank you for explaining.
    Somebody should make a watch with this complication.

Yehoshua likes this.
  13. Evitzee Apr 10, 2022

Just for information, Parmigiani makes an Islamic Hijri perpetual calendar which is also based on the lunar calendar. Each month is one lunar cycle.

HijriPerpetualCalendar.png
  14. hen Apr 10, 2022

Well I just had to do a bit of googleing:

Alain Silberstein Hebraika Hebrew Calendar Watch | aBlogtoWatch

Not realy my taste in watches, but it makes for an interesting dial.

Interesting stuff its like a coelacant or something, living ancient culture. Does it make problems with international contact, misunderstanding of dates and the like?

15. Yehoshua Apr 10, 2022

Wow. I didn't know of that watch. It's not attractive...
    Thanks for looking that up.
    For me, misunderstandings occur because of the time we change dates: the gregorian calendar has the date change at midnight while we have the date change at sunset, whatever time that may be.

16. Dan S Apr 10, 2022

This is almost as silly as asking if there is a special watch made for daylight saving time.

The OP is not asking about a perpetual calendar watch, just a watch with a date wheel, so it's funny that people think it would be necessary to have a different complication for people who use a lunar calendar, or even that he is using the watch in a special way. He is using it in a totally normal way, just with different months. The only difference would be making a 30-day date wheel (since that is the maximum length of a lunar month) instead of 31-day, which seems trivial and not worth the trouble.

You could have a watchmaker adjust your watch so that the date changes more closely to sunset. Obviously, your particular watch would not adjust to sunset from day to day, but it could be within an hour or so.

Edited Apr 10, 2022
  17. PandaSPUR Apr 11, 2022

This is a pretty interesting topic, thanks for sharing!

I'm gonna guess that jumping the hours more frequently to change the date wont cause a noticeable decline in the life of your watch. Seems like this is the case based on what Archer said too.

For your 8600 that had issues with the date wheel, any chance that was because you were jumping the date close to midnight?

Personally, I would just get a no-date watch if I were in your scenario.

Yehoshua likes this.
  18. Yehoshua Apr 11, 2022

The 8900 is impervious to the problem of date change at midnight. What happens is that it just spontaneously gets stuck between various dates about once every 4 or 5 weeks. First time it was diagnosed as having a loose screw. It's with Omega again and this time they are ordering a new date wheel.

19. PandaSPUR Apr 11, 2022

Woops, I read your other post wrong, I thought you were talking about an experience you had with a different watch.

Yehoshua likes this.
  20. hen Apr 11, 2022

Remeber Dan there are no silly questiones, just silly answers.

So is there is a special watch made for daylight saving time?

Or to put it in another way. If we dont ask silly questiones, how are we going to learn? If I didnt ask the first silly question I had not learnt about another calendar thats in use by lots of people.

Stop answering silly and start asking the silly questiones, you might learn something.