Forums Latest Members
  1. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

Hi. I have a new Aqua Terra. If the date on the watch is the 15th, and I want it to display the 1st of the month--does that mean I must turn the crown through 15 days--forwards or backwards--to set the date?!
    I did that, and it was...

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2021

The 8900 doesn't have a regular quick set date - the way it's done it to use the hour hand that is adjusted in 1 hour clicks, and run that around the dial (forwards or backwards, whichever is closest to the date you need). This is much faster than moving the hour and minute hands through 24 hours, which is what I have to do on my Rolex 1680 Sub with the 1575 movement...

Yehoshua likes this.
  3. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

Ah.In the 2nd position of the crown and not the 3rd...
    I don't think I've caught that specific information in the instruction booklet.
    I'll try that. Thanks.

Archer likes this.
  4. nicolamilton May 26, 2021

And eventually, the system will fail and you'll need to send it for repair.
    My advise: Don't use it too often.

Yehoshua likes this.
  5. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

Once a month shouldn't hurt?

6. Syzygy May 26, 2021

If the past year has enlightened me on anything, it's that time is a flat circle...I no longer care what date shows on my watches. ;)

otoron, Pazzo and Yehoshua like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2021

Eventually, everything fails. I've replaced my share of hour wheels on watches equipped with this function, but generally speaking when they fail, it's well past the time for service anyway. As long as it's not used excessively, using it "normally" I wouldn't be too concerned. As above I do recommend taking the shorted possible route to the day you want, so it shouldn't be more than 1/2 a month either way.

No, it won't. Again if you are not using it excessively, it should be fine.

Premaster, nicolamilton and Yehoshua like this.
  8. nicolamilton May 26, 2021

Maybe I've seen too many issues with closer friends and I'm not objective, but I'll try to avoid 8900 series in the future (I already sold an Aquaterra Master Chronometer).

9. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

What do you mean? I'm afraid to ask. I don't see many complaints in the internet. How many friends have had this movement and were disappointed? Did you have a problem with it?

Edited May 26, 2021
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2021

Sure, but if you avoid every mechanical watch that has ever had an issue, you will be wearing G-shocks...

Under normal use, this hour wheel isn't a problem. If people are using it all the time or going through 25 days to get to the next date instead of going backwards, yes it can wear out like anything can.

11. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

A little off topic, this movement doesn't have ceramic ball bearing at the rotor. It has another solution to save wear?

12. nicolamilton May 26, 2021

I've seen this happening with 8500 movements, to be honest. 2 planet Ocean and 1 Aquaterra. They told me it's a common issue, but I can't say so with rigorous numbers.
    Try Google: "omega 8500 jumping hour issue"

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2021

It has a plain bearing arrangement, with a steel axle in a ceramic bushing.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2021

Yes, I’m well aware of the issue, as a watchmaker I’ve repaired this many times.

Unless you know how the feature was used by the owner, and if the watch was serviced regularly, saying this is something that will fail with normal use is not really supported by any real evidence.

Premaster and nicolamilton like this.
  15. Yehoshua May 26, 2021

Sounds durable. Is this an above average configuration compared to other watches? Was it also in the 2500D?

16. HikerTz May 27, 2021

I asked before but not sure I ever got answer:
    When you start to change date and start turning hour hand, should we do it “click by click” or it is ok to spin it faster (like when you want to winde manualy)?

I go slow way - click by click and every few date changes (24 clicks) I rest a little. Just decided to do so but if Archer or other competent members says it is ok to turn faster than I will do so :):)

Yehoshua likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2021

The 2500D uses a steel ball bearing.

All of these systems will wear, so I don't know that one has any real advantage in that way than another.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2021

I can't really think of a reason why speed would make much difference...unless you are clamping the crown in a drill and spinning it, you should be fine.

Alfista88 and HikerTz like this.
  19. Yehoshua May 30, 2021

Would you say that the problem is actually infrequent when the feature is not abused and, while the feature is known to fail, the the posts expressing disappointment regarding premature failure--are non-representative of the vast number of owners?
    Because it would be nice if you were to say that.

20. nicolamilton Sep 4, 2021

Do you know if that part has been improved from 8500 to 8900 movements?