Forums Latest Members

Let's discuss the future of neo-vintage Speedmasters!

1. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

Hi y'all,

So I recently came across this video:

While this gentlemen didn't particularly discuss 861/1861 Speedmasters, I think his point about how the New 321 Speedmaster doubling in price is interesting. With this being said, do y'all think we're going to see a run on the neo-vintage Speedmasters? (Note: neo-vintage = year 2000+ timeframe). I think the hype around the 321 being re-released is only going to increase and this may lead the peons (read: me) to want to jump on a good condition 1861 that is still relatively cheap.

Recently, I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to re-purchase a CK 2451-7 321 Chronograph that I sold last year. When I sold the watch it was to fund a Speedmaster (my grail), and I actually went through two different Speedy Profs before settling on the second one. Right off the bat, I had regret that I sold the 2451, so when the seller contacted me recently to see if I was interested in buying back, I jumped on the offer (Note 2: I didn't lose any money on the deal, came out exactly even). However, I am not in the financial position to own multiple relatively expensive watches, so the Speedy had to go; my reasoning for getting rid of the Speedmaster was that I would always be able to find one for a relatively inexpensive price, but it's not every day you come across a vintage Omega 321 Chronograph.

Okay, now I'll get to the point: Do you think the market is going to go bull on these neo-vintage Speedmasters, and if so, did I make the right choice in buying back my beloved 321? Emotional attachment aside--I'd like to get y'alls opinion regarding the financial aspects.

Radiozoop

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2020

No, 1999 and earlier will have the bump as they are the last with Tritium. The problem with them doubling is the demand, and there are alot of watches made after 1990 out there, and they are easy to source in good condtion, esp post 2000 luminova models. If he is also claiming the explorer is going to keep going up... yeah no.

3. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

To be honest, I didn’t even pay attention to his comments about Rolex. I have a deeply personal connection with Omega that supersedes my desire to own a Rolex. I would like a Sub some day, but not before I have my Ed White. I understand that Rolex makes a good watch, but to me, it would be tantamount to buying a Corvette. That being, it’s every guys’ midlife crisis purchase. (No offense to the Rolex guys out there :D )

4. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

Firstly, I have never considered 21st century watches to be neo-vintage, and have generally heard that term applied to late 80s and 90s models. So I just think that's a misconception. A watch from 2003 is just a modern pre-owned watch IMO and I don't have the slightest interest in what this Doogie-Howser-can't-grow-a-real-beard guy thinks, so I didn't watch the video. :)

In the case of Speedmasters and some Rolex models (e.g. 14060 Subs), I think the late 80s early 90s tritium models (especially examples with yellowing lume) have some room to increase and separate themselves from the later luminova references. I don't see them doubling, since there just isn't room for that to happen, but I think they are desirable and will rise.

That is, until the whole vintage and pre-owned watch market crashes. :D

5. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

So I assume you would agree I made the right choice to reacquire my vintage 321? Thanks for the info on the “neo-vintage” term, I’ve heard it being applied to watches from around 2000, but your logic makes sense!

Edit: I hope the vintage market crashes because I’m a collector, not a flipper. My thoughts on this is that everyone and their mother are making YouTube channels to push their vintage watches... which inevitably inorganically drives prices up.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

You can always replace a modern Speedmaster.

nzshadow, kov and Radiozoop like this.
  7. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

That was my reasoning too! Appreciate your input!

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2020

Financial Aspects :cautious:

All the talk of financial aspects is killing the fun of owning and wearing watches.

Buying a modern Speedy in 2013 and wearing it for 7 years it’s worth about the same used as I bought it and nearly doubled in price to buy new. So yes it’s doubled

(PS smart move buying the 321 back, coolness and dollar wise.)

MCC, nzshadow, micampe and 2 others like this.
  9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 21, 2020

A bigger pile of horse manure I haven't heard in a long time.

10. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

Thank you for your input!

Well you know what they say about opinions...

:p

11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 21, 2020

And you know what I think of yours :thumbsup:

kov, Nobel Prize and Foo2rama like this.
  12. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

"You're shallow, narcissistic, and ostentatious. No offense." :rolleyes:

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. killer67 Feb 21, 2020

You definitely don’t see a corvette owner with a well worn 35-45 year old sub or gmt. They need new, two tone bluesy or polished links to see the reflection of their receding hair line

GordanDaniel and Radiozoop like this.
  14. Dan S Feb 21, 2020

Depends on the age of the Corvette.

GordanDaniel, Foo2rama and blufinz52 like this.
  15. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

All good on this front, I’m not looking for anyone to agree with me.

You said it, not me. Guilty conscience perhaps? :D

I kid, I kid.

Ha ha ha. ::stirthepot::

16. cvalue13 Feb 21, 2020

I have a single Rolex (SkyDweller with polished links), a receding hairline (I’m looking at it now in my SkyDweller), 30 other watches that aren’t Rolex, and a Ford F-150.

Need instruction on my identity, please!

:unsure:

GordanDaniel and nzshadow like this.
  17. killer67 Feb 21, 2020

lol 53-67 Vettes get an exemption

Dan S and Radiozoop like this.
  18. killer67 Feb 21, 2020

easy - you have dissociative personality disorder

nzshadow and cvalue13 like this.
  19. Radiozoop Feb 21, 2020

Applicable:

cvalue13 likes this.
  20. cvalue13 Feb 21, 2020

Wait I’ve got it: forgot for a sec that I live in Texas.

Here, Rolex is just a “Texas Timex,” and we’re issued one at birth.

Larry S, GordanDaniel and Radiozoop like this.