Forums Latest Members

Best option for servicing a "neo-vintage" Speedmaster?

1. cgaites Sep 24, 2019

Hello all,

I have a Speedmaster from the mid-90s with tritium hands and a tritium dial. It has started running a bit fast, and its starting to feel like it may be time to have it serviced. I know that for a real vintage Speedy, the answer is to avoid Omega for service and to instead seek out a competent independent watchmaker. My question is, in my case where I have what I'll call a "neo-vintage" watch - not really vintage, but some visual differences from the modern reference - is this still the best advice?

I like the idea of a two year warranty directly from Omega, but worry that they will replace the dial and hands which give the watch its somewhat unique character. Is Omega good when it comes to following directions to avoid replacing specific parts, or is it more hit or miss? They've always been good at returning old parts when they've serviced my modern pieces, so I suppose the stakes are low. Nonetheless, would rather not have to pay to have the dial and hands swapped back after the service (and presumably void the warranty) if that is the most likely outcome of an Omega service.

Thank you!

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 24, 2019

Post some photos you shall

yoda_400x400.jpg

Yelfel and Sidnos like this.
  3. Ville_W Sep 24, 2019

You already answered your own question. If you want to avoid the risk that Omega replace parts go to an independent watch maker. They also have warranties. May be not 2 years but you can’t get everything.

4. 1965Speedie Sep 24, 2019

Nesbit's gives a two-year guarantee on their watch servicing, and it's transferable should you sell the watch before then. They also seem happy to let you choose which parts to keep, if you want to preserve a patina.

5. Davidt Sep 24, 2019

Where are you located?

6. cgaites Sep 24, 2019

I guess I did answer my own question. Mostly I was hoping that someone would chime in and tell me that Omega has recently gotten a lot better at not replacing parts :)

I'm located in the Western US - specifically Colorado - and would appreciate any recommendations for an independent service.

Also, here's a picture of the watch in question. The florescent lights in my office wash out most of the patina, but hopefully you get the idea.

IMG_1553.jpg

EDIT: Adding a better picture in natural light that I think capture the vintage vibe I’m trying to maintain.
    3FE92E37-146E-4324-827A-43F90E288A9C.jpeg

Edited Sep 24, 2019
    TwinPeaks, The Father and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 24, 2019

5BD6F586-718C-4B4E-B903-D460BD6AC364.jpeg

If it wasn’t mine I would think it is your or vis versa. ‘91 with those nice tritium hands and markers
    Mmmm.... mine doesn’t have the umlaut above the E
    Post up what you do for service. I may be in the same boat at some point

cgaites likes this.
  8. kkt Sep 25, 2019

Pretty sure the warranty at Nesbit's is 2 1/2 years. I don't know what watchmakers there are near Denver, but an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account is likely to be less expensive and/or quicker than official Omega service.

9. Tatu Sep 26, 2019

Omega's policy (at least here in Germany) is to replace all Tritium parts if service replacements are available. Why, to avoid tritium parts falling to the movement and jeopardize the 2 year warranty.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2019

Very shortsighted view on Omega's part, but not unexpected.

11. cgaites Sep 26, 2019

Thanks all for the advice. I'm waiting on the return of another watch that I have out for service before I send off the Speedy, but am resolved to find a good independent to perform the work. I see that Nesbit is located in Seattle, and I am there for work reasonably often. I could probably coordinate drop off and pick-up around client visits, so maybe that is the path I will go down.

The Father, great looking watch. You've made me wonder though if my bezel is a service replacement. From a quick web search, it looks like the umlaut over the E started in the early-90's which makes sense given what I know about the watches age. However the long S and R in Speedmaster on the dial appears to have stopped by right around 1990. Oh well, this is my daily wearer so I won't stress about it.

12. TJH Sep 26, 2019

The symbol over the E is an accent (è) rather than an umlaut (ä)...;)