Forums Latest Members

Is this watch real or fake thread - aka Fake Busters!!

1. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 28, 2020

It looks pretty thin though. I wouldn’t take the chance.

madelberg and OmegaP99 like this.
  2. OmegaP99 Jul 28, 2020

Some grey market dealers remove these markings. The best way to ID these as legit is by looking at the chrono pushers and how they are on a higher plane than the crown, stacked modules. fakes tend to use a unified, cheap chrono movement where they all line up in a row.

3. OmegaP99 Jul 28, 2020

I wouldn't either. Just noting that as it seemed overlooked.

madelberg likes this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 28, 2020

Oh yeah 100% it’s definitely not the first thing that pops into my head so I overlooked it too. After you mentioned that the first thing I thought was “I bet every person that has over polished this has saved that gold”

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. OmegaP99 Jul 28, 2020

It's my picker eye. I assume it's gold until it's not. It's usually not, but it's shocking how many fraternal organization pins, tie tacks, and bracelet charms are solid gold and tossed in the $1 tray at garage sales and flea markets. Carry a loupe, peek at everything, and you will usually pay for your day (gas, food, entry fees) with one of these little buggers if not better.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 28, 2020

Bezel in this case is this thin ring which weighs next to nothing.

1034959-c9462b89d99b52b230becde899517454.png

OmegaP99 likes this.
  7. Meme-Dweller Jul 29, 2020

and it's probably just gold plated, not solid

8. OmegaP99 Jul 29, 2020

No, see my post above for the detail shot where it says "14K gold bezel." By law it would need to indicate if it was plated or gold filled.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 29, 2020

10. Newwatcho Aug 1, 2020

Hi all. I’m one of those people who has been bought a watch by someone else. It’s the 36.4 mm seamaster everything looks good to me but I can hear it tick when I hold it close to my ear. Has my mother in law been ripped off? I hope not as she’ll be mortified.
    Thanks in advance

11. YY77 Aug 1, 2020

First you need to give us a picture so we have an idea what watch it is, second why wouldn't a watch tick?

OmegaP99 likes this.
  12. Newwatcho Aug 1, 2020

This is the watch and as for ticking I read that a seamaster shouldn’t tick. I’m very new to a watch like this and what I read about the ticking got me worried 99BE514B-96AE-4C8C-9656-9FD23A80D981.jpeg

13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 1, 2020

Every automatic, manual, and quartz watch ticks. I find them relaxing to hear. Ticking is not a red flag. A lack of ticking would be.

14. Newwatcho Aug 1, 2020

Thank you so much. I was really concerned about this having read on many different “is this a fake”websites that omega watches should not tick which itself I thought was strange. Many thanks again. If I was to contact Omega with the serial number would they confirm it’s authenticity?

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 1, 2020

No.

16. Newwatcho Aug 1, 2020

Jiminoz,thanks for that, I suppose Omega get bombarded with requests to check authenticity which is why they don’t. Why would people say that if an Omega watch ticks then it’s a fake? Do they mean loud ticking, I can only hear mine close to my ear. As I said before I’m new to the world of Omega watches and like to know as much as I can

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 1, 2020

They are probably referring to a quartz movement in a supposedly automatic watch. More visual than aural.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 1, 2020

I realise that my reply was somewhat brief, but there are ways for Omega to confirm the validity of your watch, other than going to a shop (AD, Boteek etc. where they generally know nothing.

One is to request an Extract of the Archives from the Omega website (beware, it cost money).

The other is to give your serial number to a friendly watchmaker with access to Omega extranet who can tell you what that serial number matches to.

scjt likes this.
  19. Newwatcho Aug 1, 2020

Jiminoz thanks for the advice. I’d looked at the Omega site but don’t want to spend to confirm authenticity but I do have a good relationship with my local authorised Omega dealer as I deliver to them regularly so I shall talk sweetly to them and ask them if they can check for me. Absolutely everything else about the watch checks out it was reading that they shouldn’t tick which caused the concern. Thanks for taking the time to reply

20. Hollywood2 Aug 2, 2020

Hello All,

I am new here and new to the luxury watch world. I recently bought my first Omega Seamaster diver 300 from a reputable dealer on chrono24. Everything with the watch seems to check out so far including the matching serial numbers, being able to check METAS cert on the Omega website, and the serial number matching the watch in the Omega database. I did notice on the international warranty card under the signed date there is no code for I believe to be a country code. Is this normal? The watch comes from Singapore and the stamped AD is a legit Omega retailer. Does this warranty card look legit?

20200731_210937.png