Forums Latest Members

I want to know about my Fathers Omega he passed to me

1. Varnado Jun 9, 2017

It started with Darcy saying this : If you're referring to the watch I posted it runs perfectly always has and that's not missing any screws that I know of… Speaking of missing some screws :) or at least loose ones :)

I interpreted that as a dig, inferring I have a screw loose. So, if someone is asking for help and takes the position they want to insult me, then I see no reason to tippy toe around a direct concern I have and always have when someone "inherits a watch" or "wants to know what its worth".

For those of us that have been around the block, its standard procedure for someone to do this with full intent to solicit bids and offers. Thats exactly what I feel the OP did and is doing to intentionally or unintentionally skirt the rules regarding FS posts.

I disagree that the watch is worth 20k in this condition.

I disagree that 2998-5 casebacks are "readily available" or not a problem for seasoned collectors. Sure, if you are Gemini or Spacefruit then a lollipop hand, base 1000 bezel or 2998-1 hands are all "readily available" but, for anyone else in the world you won't find one. In fact, can someone, ANYONE post me a link to a 2998-5 caseback that you have ever seen for sale ANYWHERE EVER? And while your at it, figure how much that part will cost and factor that into any bid or offer to establish the value for this piece.

Anyone care to guess what a proper bracelet with real 6 ends is going to cost to make this watch correct? $3000?

And finally Darcy, if you "have been enjoying this watch for a couple of months and it hasn't seem to cause any grief or loss/gain any time from where it was set', then why on earth would you "like to service it"? If you car is running properly do you bring it in for service?

The whole post stinks to me of shilling to sell a watch that the OP may or may not own.
    PS: Didn't Gemini ask for a picture of the watch set to a certain time? Where is that pic?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

He implied, you inferred.

3. redpcar Jun 9, 2017

Varnardo, I didn't read it that way.........but you make a good point that we proof of life.
    Darcy, can you adjust the time to 4:40 for the guys here?

4. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

You are being rude and insulting. I did post that picture and if you want to use a car analogy you don't wait until the car breaks down before you get it serviced unless you're a complete idiot.

5. Varnado Jun 9, 2017

Grammar wasn't my strong suit in school, guess I should have paid more attention in class :)

blufinz52 and efauser like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 9, 2017

34 posts back, you must have missed it.

7. redpcar Jun 9, 2017

Excuse me? That was 4:42 :oops:
    Crap. I missed it too.

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  8. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

LOL! It's took me 2 1/2 minutes to figure out how to post a picture

9. The_Walrus Jun 10, 2017

Darcy be careful in considering your service options.
    Be sure to use someone knowledgeable in vintage.
    Would be a good idea to ask the experts here the best options in your area.

Really great watch and I do hope you keep it.:thumbsup:

wwhntr, propervinyl and Spacefruit like this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 10, 2017

But still no Avatar.....:)

Euxinus likes this.
  11. noiseboyuk Jun 10, 2017

Your watch is a very nice piece.
    If you decide to hold on to it, then wear with with pride and in good health - it will only become more valuable over time.
    If you decide to sell, I would agree that it's current price in present condition is around $15k, possible a little more with the current interest in vintage Speedmasters.

12. Varnado Jun 10, 2017

Is anyone offering the seller 15k? Please someone offer 15k so you can rub it in my face that I am wrong about the value.
    Until someone steps up and offers 15k all of these numbers are just voices in the air...

BrianMcKay likes this.
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 10, 2017

Didn't anybody other than Spacefruit notice the 'dibs' :) @Darcy Welcome to the forum, one of the first few things you should learn (and in this thread you have already learnt quite a lot) is about 'dibs' :)

14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 10, 2017

Hello @Darcy . What a lovely, interesting watch!:thumbsup:... it seems to have inspired a very interesting thread. I'm a relatively new member as well. Most of the forum members are splendid helpful chaps, but in all walks of life we encounter the occasional 'old grumpy bol#@cks'.:mad: So... can I express my apologies for anyone who has given you a less than warm welcome and thankyou for sharing your wonderful old Omega Speedmaster with us.:) BLIMEY THEY'RE STILL OUT THERE WAITING TO SURFACE!

Now on the subject of 'dibs': I've had one or two people message me using the term '1st dibs'. And to be honest I was flattered at their interest but also slightly confused. ::confused2::

Does the term 'dibs' really mean that the individual using that term is considered to be first in line on the forum should the watch be offered for sale? Does Omega Forums etiquette expect an owner to take 'dibs' seriously, or is it merely a way of expressing friendly covetousness? It would seem wise for an owner to select an individual offering the right price and to pick a buyer that they feel happy to do business with.??? (Just thinking aloud)

Edited Jun 10, 2017
    Nathan1967, wwhntr and ndgal like this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 10, 2017

yes, interesting watch. mvmt. looks ok. case is ok. bezel=fine. dial not easy to judge with these pics, but i would buy it. hands look good as well. i have the correct case back as a spare. yours is blank, but we need better pictures to see, why. does not look like it was machined blank. the band is crap. it is a nice watch to wear; not an investment piece. and that has it`s own charm..... price wise the back is the deal breaker. these backs go for $ 5000 plus in the moment. and you will not find them on ebay, i guess..... therefore as is i`d pay $ 12.000. service it, clean it up, get the Omega factory Excerpt and auction it in Geneva ( only in Geneva...) , if you want to make money. kind regards. achim

Mark020 likes this.
  16. Varnado Jun 10, 2017

Now thats a real offer. Well documented and explained. Based on the parts and missing parts, I agree and feel that is the most it is worth.

Darcy, if you plan on selling it that is the best offer I think you will get from a legitimate real buyer.

17. RJwatches Jun 10, 2017

Beautiful watch!

Wouldn't "his wife" be your mother?;)

chronos likes this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 10, 2017

My dad has been married 4 times, but alas even though I was the faster swimmer of 10 million I only escaped 1 womb... ;)

@nonuffinkbloke Good point Good Sir :) I have seen it many times on this forum...also wondered (as like you I am relatively new here), but in context I have always taken it as a mixture of everything together...i.e. as VERY friendly way of expressing friendly covetousness along with the hope that forum decorum (hey, thats catchy, I like!) would dictate being considered first in line should parting of ways occur thus naturally allowing the facilitation of getting the right price with said dibs'er :) Or sumfink like that...

Anyways, wishing y'all a good weekend!

nonuffinkbloke and RJwatches like this.
  19. R3D9 Jun 10, 2017

I think the dibs concept here on the OF is fairly simple to explain... it comes down to the notion of courtesy.

If someone calls dibs on an item, the courteous thing for the owner to do would be to make note of said dibs.

Should the owner decide to sell the watch at some point they would: a) determine the price they want to realize on the piece and then b) connect with the individial who called dibs and offer them the opportunity to purchase the watch at the price the seller wishes to realize on their sale.

At that point, the individual who called dibs has two options: a) buy the watch at the asking price or b) decline.

The dibs-caller is allowed to counter, but at that point, the seller is under no moral/social obligation to negotiate and can list the watch for their price with an entirely clear conscience.

This is all based upon the notion of courtesy. The owner is under no actual obligation to sell to someone who happened to be the first person to call dibs on an internet forum.

It comes down to the "do unto others" concept.

The majority of established members of this forum are good, honest collectors who sought out this place to learn about watches and share their passion with other like-minded individuals.

Most aren't here to pick up a watch for a steal so they can flip it for a quick buck... they're looking to pay a fair price for a watch from a seller they can trust.

So, to summarize, no, you don't need to follow through on dibs if you don't want to, but it would be the courteous thing to do ;)

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 10, 2017

Extremely well said!

I think this needs to be added to a stickie somewhere.