Forums Latest Members

I want to know about my Fathers Omega he passed to me

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 9, 2017

No. The is no 105.004
    It's a 2998 with a 105.003 caseback

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 9, 2017

I own a 2998-5 less than 100 digits from this watch. My watch was produced in January 1962 and sold in June 1962.

Speedmasterfan88 and Giff2577 like this.
  3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 9, 2017

Why am I not surprised...

Edited Jun 9, 2017
  4. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Jun 9, 2017

Into the point......how much does it worth?

5. Kmart Jun 9, 2017

Even with the incorrect caseback, probably somewhere in the realm of $20,000 or more.

Omeg@007 likes this.
  6. Cosd Jun 9, 2017

Did he shut you all up :)

Great watch, Funny post

The_Walrus likes this.
  7. Varnado Jun 9, 2017

Kmart: If you think its worth 20k then I suggest you offer 18k and make a great deal. The reason you won't is because the watch is not worth anywhere near 20k in this condition. I always get a laugh when I see people making these statements without even a clue of what they are actually worth.

Wrong caseback. Do you happen to have a -5 caseback? Seen one for sale lately? Impossible to find.

Movement. Got spare parts because this one is missing screws and probably isn't running well if at all. Not to mention cosmetically it doesn't look to be in such great shape.

Bracelet. Its not only wrong, its shot. Can it be salvaged for parts sure, but it isn't useable or correct.

I have a 2998-3 I am getting in and if this is worth 20k mine is worth 40k. Mine ain't worth 40k and this one ain't worth 20k.

Its worth less than 10k in this condition. Do the math and see what all of the parts would be worth if sold off or to acquire proper ones.

8. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

If you're referring to the watch I posted it runs perfectly always has and that's not missing any screws that I know of… Speaking of missing some screws :) or at least loose ones :)

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 9, 2017

It is hard to tell due to the angle of the one movement photo, but it does look like a screw or two could be missing. The locations are partially obscured. A photo of the movement taken so the side away from the pushers could probably help clear that up.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  10. Kmart Jun 9, 2017

I'll grant that $20k might be optimistic but I don't think it's far off. Under $10k is a laughable estimate for a 2998-5 though, even with an incorrect caseback. Movement issues can easily be sorted out with a service, which you'd need anyway (at STS or with Simon Freese, they have 321 parts), bracelet is a non-issue because I'm only talking about the head.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  11. Drawarms Jun 9, 2017

great watch and story. any pictures of your father wearing the watch?

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 9, 2017

Well this is fun, thank you @Darcy for sticking with us. We get a lot of time wasters - and so initial welcome when you produce what is frankly a lovely spectacular find that most of us would try to buy......we can get a little defensive.

So on to this watch.

Its a very rare 2998, well most of it is anyway. If it is as good as I think then yes, a dealer will offer you 10k.

However on the open market, which is starved of anything like this, (I have in mind an auction on ebay) it will hit at least 15k. It might go more but not from me.

The dial bezel and hands look wonderful. The case back is easy for long term serious collectors. So are any movement issues which are so irrelevant I don't even take them into account when valuing.

The things I would check are the appearance of the hands and dial - they look quite different in the two photos due to lighting. But as I said if these are as good as I hope from the first photo then a knowledgeable collector will snap it up.

Here is where you say you are keeping it as a memory of your Dad :)

I hope!

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 9, 2017

dibs :)

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 9, 2017

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :)

He is too new to know what that means!

well that and the 18 messages in his inbox......::popcorn::

15. td69 Jun 9, 2017

Welcome to the forum Darcy. I'd recommend taking some time to read through some of the old threads here to gain some more knowledge about the watch.

At the end it's up to you whether you plan to keep it or sell it, now that you probably have many people PM you with offers. If you plan to keep it, which I hope you do given it's from your dad, some people here can help guide you through for place where you can have it serviced first and foremost and so on.

To me the wrong case back isn't a big deal. If you are patient enough, you will find it one day. I've seen more than a few 2998 case backs for sale during the past 12 months.

Congratulations on receiving this beautiful and requisite watch. Cheers!

16. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

Thank you so much, I'm learning more and more every day which is a bit of a surprise to my family :) I would like to service it I think and quite frankly if the right price came in I would probably sell it

17. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

Funny I don't, I will be at his home this weekend I will look for some. Great question!

18. R3D9 Jun 9, 2017

Sheesh... @Varnado - did someone pee pee in your cornflakes this morning, or what? :p

You clearly have a lot to offer the forum in terms of your knowledge of Speedmasters, but you might want to work a bit on your soft skills... I've read the thread front to back and fail to see why the need for such an antagonistic tone.

@Darcy - congrats on inheriting a lovely watch and making it through "tell me about my dad's watch" gauntlet. Please keep us updated on what you do and post lots of high-res images for us once you get the watch back from a service. The dial, hands and lume look incredibly attractive to my untrained eye.

Cheers!

19. propervinyl Jun 9, 2017

He meant Varnado.

Either way, I really hope you keep this watch. You have no idea what I would give to be able to wear the watch my grandfather wore for 40 years.

Euxinus and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  20. Darcy Jun 9, 2017

Ok got it haha