Forums Latest Members

I just bought this... help

1. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 1, 2023

Exactly. If it's "stolen" government property they can get it back. I wonder what happened with the other one pulled from the Bonhams auction. And I wonder if requesting an extract would somehow alert the powers that be. Sorry, not trying to be a downer it's just what popped in my head.

watchguy23 and rendo like this.
  2. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Yes, but IF (big if) anyone wanted to question your ownership, they would want to know how it was acquired by the first person who got it from NASA.

We're just talking amongst friends

Edit: it doesn't need to be stolen. Assuming it was given in good faith as a presebt for superior work. By law, no one has the authority to give away government property. There are legitimate ways to dispose of government property so you can own something that used to be governments

watchguy23 likes this.
  3. rendo Mar 1, 2023

I think this thread is not any different than asking for an extract for that consequence.

4. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 1, 2023

Yes, public pictures. How many of us already downloaded them? ;)

madjestikmoose likes this.
  5. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

We really need RJ to weight in here as he should know more than most considering he wrote the original article.

watchguy23 likes this.
  6. rendo Mar 1, 2023

When would you get a better chance to download high-res photos of a rare piece of history for free?

watchguy23 likes this.
  7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Mar 1, 2023

There’s something not quite right here…

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

@watchguy23, if you didn't already know, an extract is a document from Omega. Based on the serial number, the document will tell you what reference the movement was in when it left the factory as well as where it was sold (country location.) Sometimes there is additional information, such as the dial). It costs $150 and can be a valuable piece of authenticity. But it's just one piece in a long chain of evidence. It may or may not help in this case, as the whole purchased originally bY NASA might be outside their norms. No idea.

watchguy23 likes this.
  9. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

I really appreciate all of this, I really wanted to know what I had.

Aroxx and pdxleaf like this.
  10. JPE.88305 Mar 1, 2023

How many military watches end up in civilian hands? No shortages of those being sold currently on this forum. NASA shouldn't be different than Army/Navy...

Also would think there has to be something regarding the time frame as well...anyone who has spent time in the military or government has "acquired" things...perhaps "acquiring" a sleeping bag is not the same as "acquiring" a watch, but at some point, that sleeping bag will end up in a military surplus store so what is "wrongful possession" at one time is not necessarily "wrongful possession" 20-30-40 yrs later...
    Particularly if the item in question has been "decommissioned".

Either way, you could take unofficial routes to ascertain the validity of the watch.

11. Timetron Mar 1, 2023

@watchguy23

Just a question that popped in my mind: Why you were not an Omega watch owner and suddenly you decided to buy this watch? ::confused2::

madjestikmoose likes this.
  12. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

As a combat vet I fully understand things get "aquired". I was thinking the same thing.

pdxleaf likes this.
  13. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Well I bought my Panda Daytona last year and wanted it for so long and when I bought it, it really doesnt do it for me, but the Speedy does and I waited and ended up buying this one.

Rudi99, paddymoran, McKnife and 4 others like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Acquired this from my Uncle Sam after a camping trip...

20230301_110907.jpg

15. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Yeah Buddy

McKnife and pdxleaf like this.
  16. JPE.88305 Mar 1, 2023

Very cool find; welcome to the Omega Forum. Glad you are drawn to the speedy--with the history of the space program and its early pioneers, it's a great watch to own and appreciate as a vet.

17. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Absolutely, I love the history.

noelekal likes this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

You're a Rolex fan. Imagine you went to a Rolex watch site and said i just found this watch that says COMEX and Submariner. Imagine their reaction. There would be a lot of questions, including some healthy speculation.

It's kindof like that, but bigger.

19. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Oh of course, I didnt expect anything less.

noelekal likes this.
  20. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Caliber561, noelekal, Losi11 and 3 others like this.