Forums Latest Members

I just bought this... help

1. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

pdxleaf likes this.
  2. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 1, 2023

I think the difference here is potential value. If this watch is legit it could be worth a lot of money. We're not talking about a couple hundred or even thousand dollar military watch or a sleeping bag.

Anyway, all the best @watchguy23 I did not mean to rain on your parade in any way. I hope you can get it authenticated and please let us know what comes of it!

3. janice&fred Mar 1, 2023

An extract and possibly some proof how the OP got in the form of a bill of sale would be good, and as far as the Govt. wanting the watch back I think that possibility is slim to none. Just think of all the Tournek Rayville watches that have been traded over the years and they are engraved with "property of the US Govt." and "please return to military base" or some shit. There were loads of them poached out of the Subic Bay USA naval base in the Philippines during and after the Vietnam war. No one asked for them back.

4. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

5. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

Perhaps there is a statute of limitations on when its no longer considered property and written off as a loss, you would need a lawyer to know where to start looking for that sort of info.

6. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Oh your good, I would hate to even begin to guess what it would be worth if it is legit. I appreciate your insight.

Aroxx likes this.
  7. Davidt Mar 1, 2023

I believe it’s to fulfill the ‘American made’ requirement, hence the US Star Case manufacturer and not Swiss.
    Notice the dial also doesn’t say ‘Swiss Made’.

Edited Mar 1, 2023
    sheepdoll, Valisk_61 and Twocats like this.
  8. Davidt Mar 1, 2023

OP potentially an utter grail find. Take your time and although I agree it would possibly be hard for NASA to demand it’s return, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere they scuppered an auction sale of a similar watch, so if it is legit be careful.

Twocats likes this.
  9. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

100% agreed. If it were me I would throw it on a NATO and wear it every day. sell every other watch I owned and smiled like a madman every time I did a wrist check. Let the provenance be the problem of your children when you are gone.

You have literally found Luke Skywalker's light saber and who wouldn't want to keep that.

10. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

Time to close this thread with a cat photo then I suppose...

IMG_0189.jpeg

11. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Maybe. I hope to hear more about this journey of discovery. It's going to fun. Enjoy the ride.

Retsamaes, noelekal and JimJupiter like this.
  12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 1, 2023

Interesting… you’re now the second person on this forum I’ve seen with an Alaska III. The other gets shared in the WRUW thread from time to time. Difference being is theirs is a non star case. :confused:

A04BD037-9E7C-4368-B368-EA7DD103450A.jpeg

13. Dan S Mar 1, 2023

It seems unlikely to me that anonymous posts on a forum will have any consequences for the OP, and I also doubt that anything would come of requesting an Extract, since anyone can request one, you don't have to be the owner. In principle, anyone could request an Extract for the OP watch using the information that has been posted.

14. Olhenry56 Mar 1, 2023

Oh man. What an exciting find. I hope for the sake of grandson's mental health that he never stumbles upon this thread.

Caliber561, Rudi99, McKnife and 3 others like this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 1, 2023

2 things: why so far nobody wanted to see a picture from the inside case back ? And : Star as the case Manufacturer with Stainless steel engraved outside of the case back ? No wear at all? I had a NASA one years ago and the Omega Museum bought it. Here everything is too neat; too freshly done with a Pantograph.

16. Davidt Mar 1, 2023

The Star caseback is meant to have ‘stainless steel’ on the outside as far as I’m aware. Then with or without serial number.

I get the concern over condition, but an issued watch may have been used for a relatively short space of time and relegated to a drawer relatively quickly.

I’m no expert on these Alaskas (is anybody?!), but on the surface it looks good to me.

janice&fred likes this.
  17. janice&fred Mar 1, 2023

Oh man I just spit my iced tea all over the keyboard I laughed so hard at this! :D

McKnife and Olhenry56 like this.
  18. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

19. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Just load a picture if the inside of case back

janice&fred likes this.
  20. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

Picture has been posted