Forums Latest Members

I just bought this... help

1. janice&fred Mar 1, 2023

Watch your PM inbox as surely you are gonna get real popular. :D

myatt, Geezer, cristos71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Timetron Mar 1, 2023

::popcorn::::popcorn::::popcorn:: starting to smell like... Jackpot!

Edited Mar 1, 2023
  3. janice&fred Mar 1, 2023

What I mean by that is did you pay extra for the case back engravings or the usual Speedmaster price?

Twocats likes this.
  4. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

We ask the questions Batman :) seriously, if its a real NASA its worth a lot.

5. janice&fred Mar 1, 2023

We are all hoping you did well regardless of whether the case back is Kosher :thumbsup:

watchguy23 and Twocats like this.
  6. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

I paid as if it was just a vintage speedy.

Thommas and janice&fred like this.
  7. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

the gentleman wasn't a watch guy and said he didn't want it or need would rather just have cash

janice&fred likes this.
  8. bananapeanut Mar 1, 2023

Million dollar watch :thumbsup: Well done!

janice&fred likes this.
  9. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

I don't suppose you got box and papers ? An Omega Extract is worth the investment now as your next and only move.

cristos71, kkt, paddymoran and 3 others like this.
  10. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Fantastic bit of luck.

Are you a watch guy? Do you have other watches? Was this just something between friends or do you have an interest in space topics?

You have a very rare watch in many ways. For what it's worth (not much), I strongly and respectfully suggest you do not sell this, or if you think you have to sell, give yourself one year to think about it.

If this is your first Speedmaster, that alone is special. Never sell your first Speedmaster.

If this is your first Speedmaster, you will likely become intrigued and do more reading. You may want to get another one. Regardless of how many you acquire, you will never find another like this. If you sell it, it may haunt you.

Speaking from experience.

Rudi99, Duracuir1, myatt and 6 others like this.
  11. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

no box no papers

12. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

Would one of our more experienced members give @watchguy23 a quick rundown on how to get an extract please.

13. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

I am a watch guy my first nice watch i purchased was a 116610 Rolex Sub, since then i acquired a 116500ln panda daytona, a hulk and a batman. Total I have around 40 or so watches, first omega.

McKnife, kkt, janice&fred and 2 others like this.
  14. Aroxx Sets his watch Mar 1, 2023

Correct me if I'm wrong but is there an "ownership" issue here? As in, does this watch technically belong to NASA AKA the US Government?

kkt, Vercingetorix and Davidt like this.
  15. Twocats Married... with children Mar 1, 2023

This is an interesting and terrifying question all at the same time.

tjc74 and Mark020 like this.
  16. JPE.88305 Mar 1, 2023

The first rule of working for the government is not telling anyone about all the govt issue stuff you acquire...

TLIGuy, cristos71, sheepdoll and 5 others like this.
  17. Dan S Mar 1, 2023

According to that Fratello article, it seems that an auction house did have some concerns about that issue at one point. It will be interesting to see what comes from the Extract process, as this watch REALLY needs an Extract.

Timetron likes this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Mar 1, 2023

Assuning you know grandpa's name, you stand a good chance of figuring out where he worked or what he did. The internet has a lot of information. Your buddy probably knows about what town or towns grandfather lived in, which would help identify the NASA facility. That would help identify what projects they worked on. Your friend might know what kind of degree he had or training (electrician, plumber, engineer, etc.) All those little bits can be a lead.

If you get the case open, it has a serial number on the case. Enter that number in this:
    ilovemyspeedmaster.com

Edit: results from a search of your serial number suggests watches in this range are from the following:

Screenshot_20230301_132338_Samsung Internet.jpg

The guy who developed this (Eugene) has replied to your thread already.

DON'T take it to an Omega boutique (yet). You neec to figure out where you stand with ownership.

Ps. The government, including NASA, does disponse of property. I almost won a watch in an auction from a museum in Maryland. They had a NASA owned X-33 ( similar sn markings) that NASA donated to the museum. I have also purchased items from government surplus. NASA was infamous for getting rid of property that they should have held onto.

You may want to try to determine how this came to be acquired from NASA. There is a possibility of legal ownership, but the burden of proof might be on you, the current owner.

Edited Mar 1, 2023
  19. watchguy23 Mar 1, 2023

The grandfather legally passed it down through his will if im not mistaken to the guy.

20. Dan S Mar 1, 2023

The issue is whether the grandfather legally owned it.

airansun, kkt, Thommas and 6 others like this.