Forums Latest Members

I just bought this... help

1. pdxleaf ... Mar 8, 2023

Is their work FOIA'ble? Do they intend to make the list public? If so, do you know of their projected date of to complete?

TLIGuy and JwRosenthal like this.
  2. TLIGuy Mar 8, 2023

I'm sure the records they have are FOIA'able. While I find the topic interesting, I've never fallen into the camp of needing to know the movement and S/N information, but I do know there is interest in the information. Since you ask, I'll ask my NASM contact if they are aware of any FOIA requests for this information.

I've been in contact with the NASM and Jim Ragan for the past few years now. I think the documentation on the watches in ongoing, yet not a priority for the NASM staff. Like anything else it's a long slow on and off process as new information is acquired. I could not put a date on when I think the information would be made available.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  3. rcs914 Mar 8, 2023

I mean looking at the OP's watch I'd be shocked if it ever went anywhere but the cardboard box from Omega to Grandad's drawer. That thing sure doesn't look like it ever saw any wrist time.

TLIGuy likes this.
  4. pdxleaf ... Mar 8, 2023

Thanks.

The FOIA approach might be a bit ham-fisted, although sometimes it is needed to pry info from tightfisted officials.

Since you have a connection to a sympathetic ear, maybe just emphasize that there are people who are very interested in their project and that we would be interested both in their progress to date, as well as regular updates as they progress, (in asmuch as possible.) They no doubt want to be thorough and accurate before making anything public, but we might be willing to trade completeness in exchange for expeditious results :D.

JwRosenthal and TLIGuy like this.
  5. TLIGuy Mar 8, 2023

As @rcs914 points out the watch discussed looks like it's been sitting in a box unworn for years. I don't think this would be the Scobee watch discussed in my encounter story. I just mentioned the story because it mirrored how some of these watches could have possibly found their way into private hands.

I will reach out and ask if I can get an update on the status of the work the NASM is doing. I tend to ask my questions sparingly so when I really need a piece of information for my research they are more inclined to share with me knowing I'm not taking the relationship for granted.

EDIT - I will add that one of the reasons I've been told they are reluctant to release some of the movement and serial number information is that they know these watches are highly prized and valued. There is a bit of trepidation that enterprising fraudsters could create a watch that could be passed off as something it is not. I think their concerns are valid and it's simply not to deny the public the information.

I know from personal experience simply having a case back signed, Alan Bean refused to sign a piece until I had laser engraved "NOT MISSION FLOWN" over which he signed his name.

Bean-Reject-Article.jpg

Edited Mar 8, 2023
  6. JwRosenthal Mar 8, 2023

Yeah, invoking FOI is like asking for the manager at the DMV- any goodwill goes out the window and they will go by the book.

7. DoctorEvil Mar 8, 2023

I was just thinking that myself. Most flown Speedys I've seen are quite beat up.

watchyouwant, Twocats and TLIGuy like this.
  8. Twocats Married... with children Mar 8, 2023

Hans Von Ohain wrote a book called Elegance in flight which documented his early years developing a jet engine for Ernst Heinkel and his post war years as a paperclip scientist. Apparently his family could only move to the USA many years after his arrival.

I have a supposedly autographed photo signed by Hans and in the photo is none other than MVB.

pdxleaf likes this.
  9. sheepdoll Mar 8, 2023

Sometimes I wonder who W.C.L was that is the initals that were engraved on the bracelt and the (now missing) back of my speedy. This came with two backs, the engraved one and the now incorrect 105.012.

It definitely saw some use. I wore it as a daily beater through much of the 1990s till I scratched the crystal. One of the reasons I got it was I found a box of loose parts which were a similar Tissot (T12) Curiously I was not aware of the differences (pillar vs cams.) Until last year. This was all 30 years ago and wristwatches were completly out of fashion. There was still a lot of bitterness from the Quartz crises.

The Mart dealer I got mine from dealt in estate sales. At the time It was the most I had ever paid for a watch. This was somewhere between 1994 and 1995) Curious that we timed the speed of the laser printers with stop watches. So it actually was a practical watch.

Curiously in 1995 I worked for a company that bought ITEK, what made the cameras used on these missions. The scanner we were working on was the size of a refrigerator. At the trade show desktop flat bed scanners were released. We used to make a lot of jokes about the NASA designed desktop scanner that took 20 minutes to boot up and calibrate.

When I got back from my trip to New Hampture I found the company had scrapped my desktop machine, and sold it off as components.

Fortunatly My laptop was my personal property.

10. hansaboy Mar 15, 2023

Gotta revive this post!:rolleyes:

Anybody knows what happened to the OP?
    And any other info....?

This watch feels maybe too good to be true?

madjestikmoose likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Mar 15, 2023

He’s been on the run since the second reply
    4C96BFD3-6FD7-4FAE-AA8D-5A9E12BAEE20.gif

McKnife, Lug, Shabbaz and 3 others like this.
  12. rob#1 Mar 15, 2023

I understand he may have disappeared under all the messages in his Inbox ;)

SC1, hansaboy and zedlebowski like this.
  13. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Mar 16, 2023

Agree. I’ve been suspicious of it from the start.

ErichPryde and hansaboy like this.
  14. gbesq Mar 16, 2023

The OP is now an Elvis impersonator in Vegas. NASA will never find him.
    B8893BCB-CF7C-47F6-94F9-753B8749E771.jpeg

Edited Mar 16, 2023
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 23, 2023

@SpeedyPhill pinged you on FB, I do not think you saw this.