Forums Latest Members

Hobbyist demagnetizer questions and confusion...

1. M'Bob Feb 10, 2021

This device, listed on the site of one of the noted watch material houses, seems popular, but they say this with the listing:

C187A648-1048-42CD-8002-B35417671FE8.jpeg
    “The Etic, instantaneous demagnetizer is compact and powerful enough for it's intended use to demagnetize small parts and tweezers. You may need to push the button and rotate the item a few times. Always unplug and disconnect the unit from the main power supply, when not in use. Not recommended for use on complete watches still in their cases. While possible to work on some complete watches by rotating the case, on others the case can be just too large and thick for the demagnetizing to work. Removing the case back will help and then removing the movement from the watch. So, if all you want is a tool to demagnetize a complete watch without opening the case back, this is not the demagnetizer to get.”

Is this really accurate? I’ve never heard nor seen videos where the watch is de-cased when using this device.

Further: what would be a recommendation for home use in either this tier category of demagnetizer, or the next one up, where you pass the watch in the tunnel? Thanks.

noelekal likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2021

Many people report that these work well on cased watches, but it would depend on the characteristics of the watch, and the degree it is magnetized.

The issue is field strength, which is related to the power of the unit. The tunnel style tend to be stronger, but also more money.

3. SmithSJ Feb 10, 2021

A well respected watchmaker advised me against any of these demagnetiser - generally unlikely to work through the case and more likely to cause damage than rectification. His only recommendation was a powerful Greiner model (but horribly expensive for hobbyist / occasional use)

M'Bob likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2021

Puzzling. I can see it being ineffective, but how in the world could this be "more likely to cause damage'? That makes no sense.

5. M'Bob Feb 10, 2021

I have read, from no particular authoritative source, that if used incorrectly, these cheaper units can further magnetize, rather than demagnetize the watch. No clue if there’s any validity there at all.

6. Dan S Feb 10, 2021

I have one of these and it works fine on fully cased watches if you use it correctly.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2021

Yes, any continuous field demagnetizer (cheap or expensive) must be used properly, or it will possibly magnetize the watch more. But this is not "damage" as all you have to do is properly demagnetize the watch if this happens...

thelinendial, Deafboy, Motik and 4 others like this.
  8. WYO_Watch Feb 10, 2021

I own something similar I bought for cheap online. I wanted to try it after I purchased a Seiko on the sales forum here that was keeping (or rather not) super erratic time. After reading a bit on magnetism I figured it was worth the $7 risk.

I did the basic process twice or three times and the watch has kept consistent time ever since.

My two cents on these machines are that they probably work more times then they don’t - but people are likely thinking/hopeful that their issue is magnetism instead of some other issue. Magnetism is a fairly common diagnosis for every problem (eBay sales ads almost always suggest it when the watch doesn’t keep time).

Demagnetizing a watch isn’t going to fix a broken mainspring or gunked up coils or poor regulation, or a free floating screw, etc.

noelekal, M'Bob and Charlemagne1333 like this.
  9. M'Bob Feb 10, 2021

So, on these units, it seems as though you place the watch on top, press the button, slowly withdraw at least a foot. Any idea what would be a typical way to foul this up?

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 10, 2021

I heard that the permittivity of ‘penetrating oil’ is so high that a thick coating of it will channel the electromagnetic fields of the demagnetizer such that it will work smoothly every time :whistling:

M'Bob and noelekal like this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 10, 2021

Wow eugeneandresson! That's so technical.

Good question. I've wondered about acquiring a decent demagnetizer.

eugeneandresson and M'Bob like this.
  12. M'Bob Feb 10, 2021

Good to know, thanks. As you are clearly an expert, how’s the performance when receiving rectally? I mean the oil, not the demagnetizer. You haven’t gone and tried that too, have you?

13. Wryfox Feb 10, 2021

I have this very model. They are on Amazon for ~$10. They work perfectly for any watch I have demagnetized, though the method is important.

Fun Fact, ~1/3 of all vintage watches I acquire are magnetized and need this treatment.

14. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Feb 10, 2021

If you only press the button once and don’t hold it down whilst you lift your watch up 18”?

In all seriousness, my Speedmaster has been magnetised three or four times. The first time, I sent it back to Omega not know what the hell was wrong with it. They sent it back a few weeks later along with the explanation, and ever since then I’ve used one of these. It’s always rectified the issue.

M'Bob likes this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 10, 2021

I like mine but it's getting hard to find batteries!
    index.jpg -2.jpg
    US699863-0.png

marco, JohnWoo, joeshoup and 5 others like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2021

Place watch on the until, press and hold the button, move watch away as far as you can before releasing the button.

How to screw that up - lots of ways, but if you mean to magnetize the watch, you would put the watch on the demag, press the button, and release it without moving the watch away...

JwRosenthal, M'Bob and Dan S like this.
  17. Dan S Feb 10, 2021

Useful for magnetizing Allen wrenches. :thumbsup:

marco, cvalue13 and Motik like this.
  18. SkunkPrince Feb 10, 2021

I use the tunnel version myself. Inverse cube law, so wingspan's width away is when I let the button go.

Then try to remember to take my watch off when getting near strong magnets. I'm looking at you, electric guitar! I'm also looking at you, iPad!

19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 10, 2021

I’m not judging as I live in a glass house with respect to watch paraphernalia, but this topic has me scratching my head. I have worn mechanical watches for decades, in all kinds of environments and never once had a magnetization issue.

Genuinely curious what you are all doing that mangnetizes watches so often that you’d want/need to have a degausser on hand? ::confused2::

Maybe it’s is a Spousal Quirks Part Trois thing, but do tell please.

Taddyangle likes this.
  20. M'Bob Feb 10, 2021

There it is. Blocks all EMF’s...