Forums Latest Members

Omega De Ville 166.033 cal. 565 Questions and Advice

1. nkadams Jul 28, 2021

Hi everyone! This De Ville 166.033 with a 565 movement is from the late 60s and was my great grandfather's everyday watch at his service station. The watch still works and, as far as I'm concerned, everything is in original condition - crown, bezel (has a small chip in it), Omega-signed crystal, hands - except for the bracelet which is a broken Speidel strap. I think the dial could be rarer as I couldn't find very many examples of this exact dial except for another post referring to it as a racing dial. I think it is gold plated as evidenced by the corrosion by the crown, but correct me if I'm wrong. The watch is front loaded so I haven't had a chance to get pictures of the movement yet. My grandfather was kind enough to pass it down to me as he knows I enjoy watches and I intend on wearing it for years to come. My great grandfather lived in a very rural small town as do my grandparents, so I've been cautious handling the watch so far because I have no idea what its service history is. My great grandfather passed in 2009, so I'm basing that year as very minimum for the last time it was serviced. As you can probably tell, it has been well loved over its past life and is in need of some cleaning.

I'm completely new to vintage watches, so I wanted to come on here to see what my options are. First off, I'd like to get it serviced, obviously. I'm also wondering if a case/bezel cleaning would get most of the gunk off and get it looking a bit better/return some shine. I don't want it to be polished to the extent that its personality and history is removed in the process. The crystal isn't horribly scratched up, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting a new one as I intend on adding a leather strap and making it my dress watch and wearing it often.

After researching watchmakers in my area, I haven't found one I'm confident in for service and restoration work. I'm from the Southern US and am willing to send it wherever I need for quality service (except Omega HQ lol), so if you have any prior experiences/recommendations I would greatly appreciate the help. Additionally, if I've missed anything regarding the watch, please let me know. Thank you!
    IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg IMG_4862.jpg IMG_4863.jpg IMG_4865.jpg bezel chip

2. sirtaifun Jul 29, 2021