Forums Latest Members

I was able to demagnetize my Speedy Reduced for only $15!

1. kennethwashere Jul 8, 2020

For a while, my watch had been gaining about +2min/day. Since it's a Speedy Reduced, I thought it was time to send it in for service (no prior servicing history known before I bought the watch).

However, last winter, I remembered was flying a lot with the watch. I've read online that those security checkpoints can wreak havoc on automatic pieces (I always had to place the watch in a bin, which went through those x-ray machines).

I came across this YouTube video from Chrono24, and thought that just maybe, my watch had become magnetized.

So I downloaded the Lepsi app, and purchased the same demagnetizer that is linked in that video. I thought to myself, why not try this method before spending a huge chunk on a service.

Well, I followed the steps in the video, and during the initial reading, the watch sure enough read, "Magnetism Detected."

Less than a minute later after using the device, I ran the watch back over the phone, and to my surprise, it read "No Magnetism."

I timed the watch over the course of 24 hours, and the watch has settled down to +4/sec a day!

Just thought I'd share my experience, in case any of you with watches that have gained time want to try this method before spending money on a service. It might not work for everyone, but for $15 for a demagnetizer and a good return policy from Amazon, it doesn't hurt to try!

IMG_9727.JPG

sah, Manny1979, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 8, 2020

Those X-rays at airports
    don't use anything magnetic so it's not them that are a issue.

3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 8, 2020

Yup, that’s correct. Your watch is fine through the scanners. If they were magnetic, a lot more than watches would be affected. The x-rays will destroy film should you still live in the dark ages like me.

EdtheAussie, Pazzo and kennethwashere like this.
  4. kennethwashere Jul 9, 2020

Huh, never knew that. Learn something new every day!

Either way, whatever caused the watch to become magnetized, just glad I was able to get it running back to its norm!

Dan S likes this.
  5. Braindrain Jul 9, 2020

That's why I scour Ebay to dig for gold.

Screenshot_20200702-211844_eBay.jpg

Actually, I use it for my radium watches. The xray bag fits a small airtight container.

DaveK and kennethwashere like this.
  6. Dor_42 Jul 9, 2020

You may have solved the magnetizing issue but if it needs a service it needs a service...

7. Professor Jul 9, 2020

From Wiki
    "In physics, electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation or EMR) refers to the waves (or their quanta, photons) of the electromagnetic field, propagating (radiating) through space, carrying electromagnetic radiant energy.[1] It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, (visible) light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.[2]"

X-rays themselves are Electromagnetic.

Also all electronic devices produce an electromagnetic field, the intensity depending on the amount of current going through the device.

Edited Jul 9, 2020
  8. killer67 Jul 9, 2020

I assume the EMR from airport scanners is quite negligible

9. Aquariusmatic Jul 9, 2020

I learned that the hard way. Got some wicked banding and blotching as if there were light leaks present on the containers. Didn't even try to develop the 120 i had in bag.

10. Stripey Jul 9, 2020

I used to take numerous films through x-ray scanners at airports. My experience was that taking it in hand luggage and putting it through the hand luggage x-ray scanners, which were alleged to be film safe was fine, leaving it carry on luggage resulted in ruined film a few times. Also, as to getting something to protect the film - again, my experience (in Europe) was that they would simply make you take the film out and put it through the machine again, because it might have protected the film, but it also had the effect that you couldn't see it on the scanner.

11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 9, 2020

That used to be true regarding the hand luggage scanners. I’ve travelled all over the world with film often having it go through numerous carry on scanners before arriving to my destination and it was always fine. Never using any protective bags for it. However TSA are going away from X-ray to CT scanners for carryon and the new CT scanners will destroy all undeveloped film. Kodak issued a warning after testing all their film with the new scanners at John F Kennedy airport. Largely this issue is just in the US for now.

12. Stripey Jul 9, 2020

That was very interesting, and caused me to do some background reading - one of the things I turned up is that in the US, you do seem to be able to get them to search the film etc manually with relatively little bother - it is simply impossible in my experience in Italy and Spain. So my film cameras are confined to London now. And that checked baggage scanners were usually CT scanners, which accounts for destruction in the hold luggage.

13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 9, 2020

I can attest to this. I have tried it at a handful of airports to gauge how the process would be and each time, the TSA agent manually searched with upon request. There was more resistance from them if it was super busy but they still did it.

14. Evitzee Jul 9, 2020

Mobile phones, magnetic clasps on tablets, and all speakers often have strong magnets. I just make it a point to never put my wallet or watch near my phone or tablet and so far have not had any problems with magnetism.

15. Professor Jul 9, 2020

I was given nice a looking denim CPO styled jacket with magnetic tabs instead of buttons on the pockets. I cut those tabs off first thing.
    I actually wouldn't have given them any thought if not for how ridiculously powerful the magnets were.

It occurred to me that a number of watch designs used an Iron movement cover inside the case back as part of the antimagnetic protection. If a watch has the case back replaced with a display back perhaps that could make it more vulnerable.

Edited Jul 9, 2020
  16. Walrus Jul 9, 2020

When I received an old Waltham diver I purchased upon delivery it was running hours fast a day. I had yet to see anything like it. I contacted the seller he swore it was running fine prior to sending it off. Who knows maybe it was. He offered to take it back but since I knew it needed a service I told him I’ll see if it can be remedied during service and if so we are fine. Fortunately it all worked out and the watch is fine. I’m still curious if it happened in shipping or the seller was not being completely honest. Doesn’t matter at this point just curious cool to see a unit like this available I’ve seen them just didn’t know how they worked

17. FreelanceWriter Jul 9, 2020

I paid about $10 for that same unit on eBay and I just use a cheap children's compass for testing...no hockey puck, though, and I have at least 50 of them.

18. M'Bob Jul 10, 2020

Two questions about magnets and watches: is it true that if your watch is magnetized, and you hold a compass over it, the needle will move?

Also, will the part of the laptop that can magnetize a watch be obvious because small bits of metal will be attracted to it, or does it take far less of a magnetic field to magnetize a watch?

19. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 10, 2020

I’ve found out @Archer has talked about magnets and compasses at length. The part in your laptop that has magnets in them are the speakers. Every speaker has a magnet in it. If you leave you watch over the speakers, your watch will definitely be affected.

M'Bob likes this.
  20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 10, 2020

Magnetization and compasses were recently talked about on another thread and this is where this next response came from

M'Bob likes this.