Forums Latest Members
  1. cpd_cpd Feb 28, 2016

Thanks for your advice. I am not interested in selling. It has my fathers name engraved on the back case and it has sentimental value. Id just like to wear it, unless folks think that is a bad idea.

Could you explain the basics of operation? I'm afraid that I will do something incorrectly.

When my dad got it out of his drawer (I was with him) it began working almost immediately. I wound the lower crown clockwise a few times as I was exploring the function of it--I wasn't sure which crown controlled the bezel. I then pulled the crown out and set it, being careful to only move it forward. Is that necessary?

I've read something about not setting time on automatics when the time is near midnight, but that seemed to refer to models with date. What cautions should I take on this movement?

Another thing I noticed--the time seems fairly accurate compared to the digital clock in my phone, but the point of the minute hand doesn't align with the index mark at the moment the second hand passes 12. Instead, the minute passes the index about thirty seconds past. Is that evidence of an issue with the movement?

When trying to set the time, the second hand didn't stop. This made it a little difficult to set the time accurately. Advice? I believe the crown was all the way out, but I didn't want to pull too hard less I force it.

Lastly, is there an authority on Universal watches who could service this that somebody on here recommends? I live in the US near Chicago. Thanks

Edited Feb 28, 2016
    georgetownhoya likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 29, 2016

Good for you for keeping it - quite right. Top crown controls the bezel, bottom to wind and set, exactly as you have done. No worries about the midnight thing on this model. The hand alignment issue is of no consequence. The second hand will not stop when setting time on this watch - that's called "hacking," and this movement does not hack. Lastly I have no specific watchmaker recs but perhaps our Chicago members might chime in.

3. cpd_cpd Feb 29, 2016

LouS-- that is very useful info. As for winding the crown--is there a min or max number of winds that I should make on the crown--especially now when I'm first starting the watch up out of hibernation? Can I over wind? Some generic instructions for automatics say something like "30 winds" on the crown.

georgetownhoya likes this.
  4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 29, 2016

First I would like to commend you for your first post. Too many come here and do not bother to read up on the subject before asking. You took your time and found out what you had - then you asked advice. Like it.

An automatic movement can never be overwound. It has a "release" that makes it impossible.

If the watch has been put away for a very long time, have it (the movement) serviced before using it/winding it. The oils and grease has dried - and there will be grinding of material at, for instance, the bearings. I would recommend you to leave the watch unwound from now until you find a reputable watchmaker specializing in vintage watches. LouS is right in advicing about this - the watchmakers orders shall be - DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING - except service of movement, new seals (keeping water out) and polish of the crystal. The winding you have done - do not worry about it - just stop and let it run out.

You have a watch many of us covet. Take care of it. It is also worth a good sum. I know you are not selling it but anyway - beware of suggestions and ask advice here if anyone approach you with bids - and you are considering them.

Best of luck and congratulations on a wonderful watch.

Edited Feb 29, 2016
    GuiltyBoomerang, LouS, aap and 2 others like this.
  5. cpd_cpd Feb 29, 2016

Thank you very much for the word of caution about the movement. I didn't even think to consider that winding could've damaged it, but that makes perfect sense. We took it out of storage yesterday afternoon and I probably wound the crown three times, then a few more this morning. I wore it yesterday and this morning. Naturally now I'm worrying about possible damage, but I'll try not to :)

It's funny to have happened upon this rarity. My father had no idea that it was a collector's piece. He was a professional oceanographer and just used this as his diving watch for some time--he purchased it used around 1970. I mentioned that I was looking to buy a watch and he kindly offered it. In thirty years I've never seen him wear it, so it's been dormant for a while. I'm glad I found the corner of he internet where the polerouter experts convene!

A quick Internet search has brought up what looks to be a highly regarded antique watch repair shop on Chicago called Father Time. I'll give them a call to ask about servicing. Until then, the watch will sit in my drawer. Thank you again for your advice!

6. Dre Mar 1, 2016

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 1, 2016

Mine says hi :) (older photo)

image.jpeg
  8. akajack Mar 27, 2016

Just wanted to drop by and give a big "thank you" for the education on Polerouter Subs. Saved me some embarrassment and dollars!

9. LaurentBxl Apr 22, 2016

IMG_2217.JPG

Here is a picture of mine for the record. It is a first generation. The case is pristine, very well finished, crowns are identical to the Tiffany one mentioned in a post, Micky Mouse did picture the top triangle on the rotating bezel, Genève shows no space, SWISS is entirely visible, the small lume dots are still there even if not very visible on this pictures, hands and dial show the same patina, the back has no engraving whatsoever, just the 2 reference and model numbers.

I do believe it is a nice one, i thank very much everyone on this forum who educated me on this model.

Nice weekend!

10. Diabolik Apr 23, 2016

I just got fed up of waiting for one to come along ... and got this :)

IMG_5089.JPG

zr4484, mappleluna, ELV web and 3 others like this.
  11. Mazoue May 10, 2016

Another "Australian" Polerouter Sub up for auction in the UK at William George by the looks of it. PolerouterSub.jpg

12. LaurentBxl May 10, 2016

Very likely, it has all the signs, crowns, the case with black spots, the space in Geneve, the swiss not entirely visible, hands looking new ...
    Honestly there is so much debate about quality controls on the second version and so many fakes like this one that i decided to only get the first generation that is a lot less prone to fakes....
    There is also a private sale at Chrono24 that looks odd with only Universal Geneve on the dial...

Edited May 10, 2016
  13. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. May 11, 2016

These are gorgeous

14. Diabolik Jun 8, 2016

15. LaurentBxl Jun 8, 2016

I'm not sure what to think of that one. The case looks OK to me, it does show a good finish, no black spots, lugs look fine too. The back is heavily polished, no serial number. Dial looks ok too, patina looks coherent between the hands and the dial, there is a lot of debate about Swiss not being entirely visible on gen 2... The crowns look wrong to me, at least the bottom one, it is too big and look like a replacement. The top one I don't know, it could be original as on some the top crown is bigger than the bottom one. The movement does not look very clean, but it does not look as bad as on the fakes we have seen....

16. aap Jun 8, 2016

17. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jun 8, 2016

No dealer is impervious to selling dubious watches unfortunately. I know most of us here have relegated this one to be a counterfeit watch, but the greater watch community often disagrees. I contacted an auction house that was selling one, and they flat out told me that I was wrong... (shrug)
    This particular example has survived pretty well, but you can tell that the case is chrome plated along with all of the other signs.

aap likes this.
  18. LaurentBxl Jun 9, 2016

Again, this one does not show all the obvious signs of a fake. The hands do not look new, patina on dial and hands look ok, and I don't know how you can say that the case is chrome plated... I would not buy it because of the crowns and polished back and all the doubts this watch will always raise, but this does not look like an Australian fake to me...

19. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jun 9, 2016

It's fairly easy to tell by the way the metal reflects the light that a case has been treated with chrome. It is only conjecture until I see the watch in person, but it is an educated one. And the dial definitely does not look right

Diabolik likes this.
  20. Diabolik Jun 9, 2016

fully support the above and add that it has had a lume job ...