Forums Latest Members

Do any of you size your own Omega bracelets?

1. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

As mentioned in other threads of mine I recently bought a Speedmaster Hesalite ::yawn::

I am wondering if any of you have experience sizing your own bracelet on a Speedmaster. If so, can you please share the screwdriver you used and any additional information?

I know Rolex doesn't sell any screwdrivers for their Datejust watches, but the old Sea-Dweller came with one.

I've heard some Panerai come with a screwdriver, and that it is easily found online. And some Hublot are the same I believe.

I wonder if Omega sells a screwdriver or if any of you guys have one that you would recommend.

Does the Omega bracelet use loctite in the screw threads like Rolex does?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dan S Aug 30, 2020

DaveK and schoolboy like this.
  3. Evitzee Aug 30, 2020

I've sized the 60th Trilogy Speedmaster and 50th Apollo 11 bracelets with no issues. You need good light, good eyesight, confidence and a proper screwdriver. If you lack any of those take it to someone who knows how to do it. Omega uses a strange system, imo. Two small screws which hold a pin in place rather than a long screw like most makers use (Rolex and others). If you aren't confident in dealing with very small screws it is not a job for you. Omega does use a threadlocker but I've never had a problem breaking it with a proper screwdriver. For reassembly I use a purple (low strength) threadlocker, no issues. There is no torque on the screws in normal operation, they are just there to prevent the pin from coming out.

Edited Aug 30, 2020
    schoolboy likes this.
  4. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 30, 2020

I get someone else to do it because I want someone other than me to blame for scratching or threading a screw.

That and Omega boutiques do it for free

(There is a picture on a thread here where someone tried themselves and monster'd the screws big time...:whistling: Funny how the thread started with the same first post as yours above with asking for what screwdriver to use)

6. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

Hey Evitzee!

Thanks for your reply. I was seeing the strange system that you mention on a Youtube video. Strange indeed, I wonder what the reasoning for that is.

Any ideas?

I have sized the bracelet on my Datejust in the past maybe 5 times or so, and only screwed up once. I would say that was because my screwdriver didn't properly fit the screw heads.

That being said, what screwdriver do YOU use?

Thanks,

Jesus

7. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

Hahaha

Yeah, I marred a screw on my datejust once, and when I installed the marred screw without noticing it was marred, the screwhead messed up the side of the link a bit.

I went out and bought a new link because my conscience forced me to do so ::screwloose::

Anyway, yes my AD offered to size it for free, but I am a little picky with sizing, so I would rather do it myself and play around as much as I feel the need to

8. Evitzee Aug 30, 2020

I have WIHA 1.5mm and 1.8mm drivers, but I can't remember which is the correct size for Omega bracelet. I figure I can do it at least as good as the tech at the Omega boutique, some of which are better than others. All bracelets are different; for the standard Speedmaster bracelet I needed ONE link removed, for the 50th Apollo 11 I needed TWO links removed, for the 60th Speedmaster Trilogy I needed THREE removed. Just depends. That's why I like to do it myself, I can get the proper fit and can decide where I want the link(s) removed. Usually I find links removed on the 6 o'clock side are best for Omega's, but 12 o'clock for links on Rolex.

Edited Aug 30, 2020
    schoolboy likes this.
  9. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

I have two Wiha 1.3mm that I have used for my datejust jubilee bracelet. I guess I can probably go with Wiha again if nobody else recommends a specific screwdriver!

10. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

I want to size the watch myself because....

I once bought a submariner, and the AD sized for me on the spot. I left the AD all happy and in the honeymoon phase. A few days later I noticed that the bracelet clasp was super off center and when I held the watch up by holding the watch head, the bracelet was rather imbalanced.

I took it back to the AD, and a different watch maker was there.

He apologized for the poor sizing job and redid it himself.

Also, I have read online that sometimes screws become loose because the AD forgot to reapply loctite.

11. Evitzee Aug 30, 2020

It seems OF members will take to the task of changing straps with abandon, often buggering up the lugs in the process, but running to the AD to size their bracelet by being afraid of a screw slot. Strange.

12. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

Haha

I will eventually play with straps myself. I plan to tape the lugs and hope that helps!

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 30, 2020

Same here. I’ve got a close OB. By close less then 7 miles.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 31, 2020

I’m probably a bit older than you but, if I can’t see the screw to tell if it’s a Phillips or flat. It’s someone else’s job.
    Used to pull fishing reels apart (still do old ones) until they added a extra 40 small parts and springs and don’t include a construction diagram with the reel anymore.

Edit: I don’t own a screw bracelet

15. gbesq Aug 31, 2020

All OBs and most ADs will do it for free. Why risk screwing it up by doing it yourself?

16. ajn3323 Aug 31, 2020

At some point you have enough watches in the collection where you almost have to DIY, otherwise you’re running to the watchmaker/AD all the time. Like any other job, you gotta have the right tools. I’ve twisted a few screw driver blades and scratched the edge of a link (not on anything new or crazy expensive) but never stripped a screw fortunately. ::Knock on wood

Edited Aug 31, 2020
  17. schoolboy Aug 31, 2020

I will admit that while trying to size my own bracelet seems a bit like dancing with the devil... I have heard horror stories about ADs sizing bracelets

-sometimes they can scratch the bracelet
    -I’ve read on other watch forums of screws falling out of the bracelet because AD forgot to reapply loctite

Personal story, one day I stopped by a Rolex AD to just kinda look around. The sales lady was showing me a watch, then dropped it by mistake from her hand to the counter, which was about a two foot drop, and picked it up acting as if nothing had happened.

Having witnessed THAT, now I try to not let the AD handle any of my watches (I have very few anyway).

18. schoolboy Aug 31, 2020

Also, I want to admit that I am sure some of you guys and girls visit ADs that are VERY capable and knowledgeable with watches.

Unfortunately the AD close to me isn’t very convincing for me.

kind of sad but that is the way things are around here.

when I bought my Seiko Turtle, the lady was trying to sell me extended battery protection

:(

Hahaha

19. Omegafanman Aug 31, 2020

I have done it once out of convenience with a screw bracelet (pix below). Did not use heat but I did not enjoy the experience / probably did scratch one of the screw heads a bit - but I was a long way from an AD / anyone I trusted. I have sized a few with the old push bar system - I don't mind those / easy job with the right tool. Mostly I get them sized by an AD or watchmaker now.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.jpg
    schoolboy and Jerseyhammer like this.
  20. Evitzee Aug 31, 2020

Age does take its toll on the eyes and if it deteriorates too much that does take you out of the game. I've been sizing my own bracelets since 1979 and so far I'm still comfortable doing it. I think it is a skill a collector should have, along with strap changing. I live 50 miles from anyone I would trust with a springbar or small screwdriver, so pretty much have to rely on my own capabilities. I never assume a dealer or boutique have qualified people on staff to do these things, some are very good and some will have a newbie sales associate do it. No thanks.

Gav1967, Dan S and schoolboy like this.