Forums Latest Members

Screwdriver for new omega speedmaster bracelet?

1. Japenney Dec 23, 2016

Hello everyone. I received my new speedmaster today, a hesalite speedy pro. Unfortunately I am having difficulty sizing it because none of my screwdrivers seem to fit the screws. I have 1.4, 1.5, and 1.7mm. Is there a proprietary omega screwdriver or can someone PLEASE recommend a good one. I was also hoping to order some extra screws and pins. If there is not a good one online I may have to call the AD to get one ordered ?

Thank you very much !

Pic at work with my ugly christmas tie !

Josh

work1.jpg
  2. w.finkenstaedt Dec 23, 2016

Go to your AD or Omega to have the bracelet sized. You don't have the right size drivers (2mm is the approximate size but sometimes they need to be dressed a bit to fit the screws).

Some of the new bracelets are coming with way too much loctite, so if you don't have a heat gun or a way to loosen the loctite (and loctite again after sizing), you're going to do some damage to your bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imageWIS and jankymutt like this.
  3. Japenney Dec 23, 2016

Thanks for your reply but I purchased the speedmaster from the closest boutique which is 7 hours drive away. Can you please recommend a good screwdriver that I can order online or I will have to get one ordered by them. Feeling discouraged that I can't wear my new speedy as good as I would like to.

4. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Why didn't you have it sized while you were there then? Or didn't you go in person to the store?

Isn't there a shop or watchmaker somewhere close to you that you can pay a few bucks to do this for you?

Nitzbar and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  5. Japenney Dec 23, 2016

I had the watch mailed to me.....I did not pick it up in person..... I would have had it sized if i did....I went to every store in my town and none of them have a screwdriver that will fit (retail and watch store)....can nobody really suggest a good screwdriver for this watch to purchase online?

6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 23, 2016

M'Bob likes this.
  7. w.finkenstaedt Dec 23, 2016

Order a Bergeon. The 2mm should work well.

Bergeon 55-687 6899-AT-200 Stainless Steel Ergonomic 2.00mm Screwdriver with Spare Blades Watch Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVIIBL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CZFxybK8GSRSR

If the screws are tough, boil water and let the bracelet soak (after removing it from the watch head). You're looking to loosen the loctite.

Also, make sure you have a good anvil that has multiple widths to hold the bracelet. Tweezers are optional, but help a lot. Ditto a container in case a screw tries to run away.

Edit: forgot to add, do not try to force the screws. They are all held by loctite, and if you try to force them, you will start to slip and strip the screws. If you strip them too much, you will ruin the bracelet.

8. Japenney Dec 24, 2016

The 1.7 and 2.0mm drivers I have are too big to fit in the screw at all so I am hesitant that a 2.0mm Bergeon will fit. I am thinking that somewere between 1.4-1.6 is correct. Perhaps the dimensions of the Bergeon 2.0 are different somehow.

9. Japenney Dec 24, 2016

Aparrently people are saying that the wiha 96018 1.8 x40mm will fit. Going to order that and give it a go.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 24, 2016

I suspect the "1.4, 1.5, and 1.7mm" screwdrivers you are referring to are ones you get from hardware stores labelled "jewellers" or "watchmakers" screwdrivers.

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 6.47.05 PM.png

They are nothing like proper watchmakers screwdrivers, they're usually hollow ground blades with very thick tips. Useful for fixing kids toys.

Proper watchmakers screwdrivers have totally different tips (generally) and can be purchased from hundreds of watch supply houses across the planet.

However, not knowing if you are in the USA, France, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Scotland (or the rest of Britain), Noumea, or any one of thousands of locations makes it hard for us to point you to a suitable supplier.

11. Japenney Dec 24, 2016

I am in Canada. But I am ok with buying internationally. Going to give this whia 96018 a go and fingers crossed. Several people on Reddit and wus said it fits great. I welcome other suggestions in the case of failure.

12. Jaacck Dec 24, 2016

I find that in the AD I could only get the bracelet to be slightly too tight or way to loose. Couldn't find a good in-between level. So bought a leather strap and will get the bracelet out in the future maybe I will have porked out a bit and can make it fit.

RPC likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2016

The bracelet screw is listed as - 124ST3307 | SCREW M1.40 ØH1.9 L1.8 STEEL

So head diameter (also the slot length) is 1.9 mm, so a 180 screwdriver will fit the length of the slot - screwdrivers tend to jump from 180 to 200. No matter what screwdriver you purchase, the thickness of the driver will most likely have to be fitted to the screw slot width. I am not familiar with what you have ordered, but you don't really want a hollow found blade for this as those require a closer fit. A wedge blade is appropriate for the screw, and you should file the driver so the blade almost touches the bottom of the slot, but not quite.

You may have to heat the screw - boiling water is not hot enough to break the bond of the Loctite used, so you may need a small torch - I have a small Mastercraft butane version at my bench for heating specific areas to break the Loctite.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, KstateSkier and Jwit like this.
  14. Japenney Dec 24, 2016

Thanks for your reply. Here is a link to the driver I ordered last night. Fingers crossed it fits

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006OBFK...etailBullets_secondary_view_div_1482591029667

15. w.finkenstaedt Dec 24, 2016

Al, I've found that very (very) hot water is enough to weaken the loctite. Maybe it was repeated attempts weakening the bond, but that's just my experience on 3-4 of my own bracelets.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2016

If you read the spec sheets, it typically requires temperatures far above 212 F to break down the bond. More like double that plus some.

I'm just saying that if you want to boil water and hope it works that's fine - I'll use my torch and have it all done while you wait for your pot to boil. ;)

Pazzo and Jwit like this.
  17. Vitezi Dec 24, 2016

...And here I thought this thread was going to be about this:
    [​IMG]

jankymutt, Jwit and kkt like this.
  18. wsfarrell Dec 24, 2016

Boiling water has always worked for me as well. The little butane torches you get at Home Depot run at 2,600F---hot enough to melt pennies. Boiling water works, and is considerably safer.

jankymutt likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2016

From the Loctite web site FAQ:

Q3: I cannot get an assembly apart where a threadlocker was used. What solvent will break the threadlocker down?

A:
    No solvent will wick into the joint to break the threadlocker down. This is either hand tool removable at room temperature or if not, it requires high temperatures of 450-600°F to separate parts. The products are thermoset plastics in the cured state that soften at higher temperatures. Thus, you need to disassemble while at the higher softening point temperature. Do not let this cool down first. Otherwise, it will resoldify. Solvents like methyl ethyl keytone and methylene chloride can be used for clean-up of residue only after disassembly

I am certainly not suggesting that you should use tools beyond your capability. I regularly use a torch to safely break the bond of Loctite used on various case components such as HEV's, and case tubes. By all means, if you are not able to safely use a torch and not damage the bracelet, take it to a professional. As noted by the maker of the product, if the Loctite breaks away with boiling water at 212 F, it probably would have broken at room temperature anyway.

Cheers, Al

KstateSkier and Spacefruit like this.
  20. Japenney Dec 25, 2016

I just use a blow dryer on my rolex screws and I can tell a significant difference when trying to u screw. Much easier when heated up for 30 seconds with warm air