Forums Latest Members

SOLD Choose Your Own (Serviced) Futurematic, $1k each

1. Wlcutter May 17, 2022

This might be a strange way to post stuff for sale, and please flag or delete if this is in any way inappropriate, obviously. I'm consolidating after several years of chasing a number of different models; as most experienced collectors here know, there's something deflating about *having* after all that time spent chasing.

To that end: I've ended up with 4 LeCoultre Futurematics. These are wonderfully strange watches, and while I enjoy them very much, I don't think I'm the sort to need 4 examples. Instead of figuring which to sell, I'll offer them all, and whichever I end up with is what I'll keep.

Each is, in my opinion, a very very fine example. Each has been serviced by Christian and his group at Watchguy.co.uk (he's one of the only watchmakers I know who will service Futurematics, and it helps that he does incredible work), and all work flawlessly; each hacks, as well (the hacking lever's a common failure point on this model). Each example is gold-plated and 35mm. The very slight differences are in the dials and hands, as the pictures should make clear. There are other examples of this model--the porthole, most famously--but these were the ones I was originally drawn to.

I'm offering any of them for sale for $1k USD. I'm obviously happy to answer any questions or provide more pictures. For now, I hope just to provide a chance for anyone curious to buy (for a reasonable price, given the market on these) a very good and serviced example of one of the stranger, more interesting watches ever made (imo).

Thanks as ever for all the amazing scholarship and community here.

IMG_2154.jpg IMG_2155.jpg IMG_2156.jpg IMG_0690.jpg

adam78, Zdzislaw, josiahg52 and 30 others like this.
  2. Wlcutter May 17, 2022

These went as quickly as anticipated; all but the second white one are OHPF.

rob#1 likes this.
  3. cineaste May 17, 2022

This was pretty nice of you, lucky buyers enjoy!

Edited May 17, 2022
    Zdzislaw likes this.
  4. rob#1 May 17, 2022

Congrats; and that 2nd watch has a nice smile on its face, it’s the one I would have kept :)

takt123, Zdzislaw, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  5. Sa Calobra May 18, 2022

What @cineaste says- offering these at such a price is really great! Lucky buyers..enjoy!

6. Wlcutter May 18, 2022

I really appreciate the interest on all of these; the second white one's yet to find its home, and, in fairness, if it stays, I'll be happy.

Just as an aside, regarding the messages above—while Futurematics are priced much higher on ebay (and have been for the last 6 months or so), completed sales shows that the prices here are correct. There's no reason to spend more than $1k on a serviced Futurematic, imo. You can get one in decent shape for $500-600, and then the service will cover the rest of that gap. I bought my first 5 years ago and, once it was serviced, I'd spent $900 on it. I suppose this is just me saying: while these are horologically significant and interesting watches, I've not really seen market prices move in 5 years.

7. Waltesefalcon May 18, 2022

If I wasn't saving my shekels for summer vacation I'd jump at buying that last white faced one. That's a gorgeous watch, and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't sold.

8. TimeODanaos May 18, 2022

Agreed on all points. The one I liked most within three minutes of the original post. Probably jinxed it, sorry!

YYTIN likes this.
  9. Wlcutter Jul 28, 2022

Sorry to resuscitate this thread, but the first Futurematic--imo the prettiest of the bunch--was being held for a friend these past two months who finally, last week, said he'd changed his mind. It is thus avaialble again for $1k; all other details above (serviced, excellent condition, rarely worn) remain the same. Of note: the sunlight in this picture highlights scuffs on the crystal, but that's the only place there are any issues.

IMG_3287.jpg IMG_3284.jpg IMG_3285.jpg

Ohmeguh, adam78, Zdzislaw and 10 others like this.
  10. TimtimeIntl Jul 29, 2022

All nice watches and all fairly priced since they are properly serviced. I see many ebayers buy project FMs and after working on many and having many stored parts I cannot imagine how much money they will have invested in them when/if repaired properly. Also many have apology dials and cases. The upper black dial would have been my first choice but that white dial with the gilt ring is great. Very clean dial for a watch made in the mid fifties. Hard to hide dirt or discoloration on a white dial. Nice to see some nice LeCoultres listed. And at right-on pricing.